• Members+
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:SkypeID: aprikupets

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:22 AM

I did this for FPV.
Here is the scematic: http://forum.rcdesig...=attach&id=4144
Program: http://forum.rcdesig...=attach&id=4137
Video (rename to WMV if viewed black and white): http://forum.rcdesig...=attach&id=4135

Edited by Prikupets, 03 July 2006 - 05:23 AM.

#2 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:aviation,electronic, motorcycle

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

yes it's cool, do you have tried it with a video headset ? Does it have a drift when not moving ?
Do you have seen this video:
ftp://kilrah.dynalias.net/Temp/gyrotest.wmv

Edited by Vrflyer, 03 July 2006 - 09:04 PM.

#3 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Modelling, electronics, computers

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:09 PM

Looks pretty good indeed, nice to see another working unit! :)
What's the use of the LCD?

Accelerometers won't drift, but they can't measure yaw. If you check the video above, you'll see that you need to "roll" your head to get a yaw movement. They are sensitive to dynamic acceleration too, so if you move you'll get undesired movements.

Edited by Kilrah, 03 July 2006 - 10:10 PM.

#4 mieczotronix

mieczotronix

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:17 AM

What a great little project! that's exactly what I've been wanting to do, except that I have Optic 6 and I wanted to use AVR instead of PIC. But your schematics and source code would be of great help in my work (I wouldn't come up with those 10 uH chokes myself).
That's of course clear that accelerometers can not measure yaw, but what you get is a reasonable alternative to expensive commerical products. Kind of a poor-man's head tracker, which does what is supposed to do, although somewhat differently, but it costs way less than commerical products and is drift free. I am sure that it would take only a couple of minutes to get used to the idea that you have to tilt your head sidewise to make the camera pan. And the centering is very natural in this setup.
I guess that with some low-pass filtering or with a sensitivity (expo) curve added it would be possible to eliminate those jerky movements.
Another possibility is to replace accelerometer's one axis with a gyro module (like those by Analog Devices) to get yaw reading. At least this is what I'm thinking now, theoretically.

Edited by mieczotronix, 04 July 2006 - 02:17 AM.

#5 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:58 AM

I imagine a guy with headset moving the head trying to position camera, he will look dystrophic :)

#6 mieczotronix

mieczotronix

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:54 AM

I imagine a guy with headset moving the head trying to position camera, he will look dystrophic :)

C'mon. Don't tell me that a guy wearing the VFP gear on its head looks otherwise absolutely normal ;)

#7 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

Yep, I definitely already got some strange looks from people when wearing mine :lol:

What the heck are these guys doing anyway? ;)

Posted Image

#8 Temporary Insanity

Temporary Insanity

RC-Cam Regular

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

I've heard of "flying under the hood" but never flying under the cardigin :lol:
It's temporary...really!

#9 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

Kilrah, you look someone who want to proove even blind people can fly r/c planes :)

#10 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

Haha! Looks like you need to add a helmet or visor to your video glasses. I constructed one that works pretty good with my I-Glasses. Here's two pictures of it. As you can see, it flips open so you can see the surrounding area if need be. Then flip it closed and almost no light gets in at all.

Works great, although I think I like the looks of VRFlyer's visor better. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• I_glasses_visor_1.jpg

#11 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

2nd pic...

Attached Thumbnails

• I_glasses_visor_2.jpg

#12 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

Haha :lol:

Well I actually can fly without adding anything. It's just that it's even better like this. And I'm usually carrying all the gear in a backpack, with R/C TX, laptop, goggles, video RX,... so don't have much more space left ;)

#13 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

Your glasses must be brighter than mine then. I can't see the image at all in direct sunlight.

#14 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:57 AM

They have CCFL backlights, which are indeed pretty powerful. But, you need to turn on the glasses and let them heat up for about one minute before taking off to get full brightness. There's a "power save" feature that turns the backlight off automatically when you're not wearing the goggles (IR sensor on the headset!), that I'm obviously not using for that reason... even if the battery drain is impressive :blink:

#15 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

Twinturbostang, it's good what you've done. You can easily replace the wood panel with acrilyc sheet. Dark tint acrylic is rare, I found in little store where they made outside sign for store, a lot of retail acrylic from different color, they sold me everything I want for a ridiculous price ;)

#16 mieczotronix

mieczotronix

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:01 AM

seems like no one is interrested in what Prikupets did (well apart from me)
and this topic now seems to drift towards Darth-Vader helmet replica construction

I've analyzed the source code of Pirkupets' (it's pretty well documented and clear even if I know nothing about PIC architecture).
Kilrah asked what the LCD was for in the project. From the source code it seems that it was for debugging, it displayed measured and processed values.
The accelerator processing does some kind of dead band and low-pass filtering (moving average) on measured accelerometer readings. The code also extends servo movements. It does not implement any sensitivity curve, or extreme measurements rejection which I think might improve the device a bit.
Anyway form me this little project if of great value and very inspiring.

#17 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:21 AM

I just had a quick look at the code - it seems to be synchronising itself on the TX's PPM output, and to change 3 of the channels before giving it to the PPM in again. That's what I wanted to do as well initially, but I still had to offer full frame generation for the few TX's that only have one pin for both in and out (e.g. Multiplex). Unfortunately I haven't been able to do it because the user interface/configuration routine took so much code space I ran out of memory to add that feature... :(

#18 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:58 AM

I'm very interested in the project, I would like to see that one year ago, but now I got the gyro, I will not need it, but I wll read all the post.

#19 Haku

Haku

RC-Cam Regular

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:31 AM

C'mon. Don't tell me that a guy wearing the VFP gear on its head looks otherwise absolutely normal  ;)

It does if your name is Geordi LaForge :lol:

I have a simple solution for using my iTheater glasses in direct sunlight, the Duckbill Cap mod:

Posted Image

#20 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:14 AM

The project is interesting. I agree that the tilting head movement for yaw control would suffice. But, it would be grand if it used a more natural movement.

BTW, this project is similar in function to the HeadTrack-R design attempt from a few years ago. Pitch and Roll used accelerometers, and yaw sensing was from a digital compass. The compass module turned out to be a bad choice. I did experience that accelerometers are perfect for pitch and roll sensing on your head (just don't jump around while you do that :) ).

In case it offers any inspiration, some info on the old HeadTrack-R project, and some photos, are on the old rc-cam forum resource site: http://groups.msn.co...ID_Message=6106
- Thomas