Camera tilt and pan controlled by head tilt - done

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

as for the gyro hack. I've also thought about that. Yet since I'm no good at electronics and wouldn't ever come up with the opamp circuit myself I wonder whether I could do w/o op amp and with just an a/d converter like in the accelerometer version. Will it be possible?

And the integration in this case would be simple addition of sampled gyro yaw signal at fixed sampling rate (taking into consideration signs/direction rotation), or do I miss something?

As for the 6 to 8 channel conversion. I'm just hoping that the only failsafe circuit preventing corrupted buddy signal from being aired from trainer's transmitter is trainer's finger sitting on the trainer switch. It is monostable for some reason. Maybe for this reason. I just hope Optic 6 firmware does not this signal check as it's quite simple transmitter.

Edited by mieczotronix

Posted

You could of course use separate A/D inputs to sample reference and output. That might need some software filtering then.

But an amplification is very likely to be needed. The output voltage change is usually very small. If I check the sensor I had used a couple of years ago, the scale factor is 0.67mV/deg/sec. That's less than 0.2V swing at full scale, when you'd want to use the most of your A/D's range for better precision. That requires a good analog circuit too, as less than 1mV error on the sensor's side will already cause a noticeable drift.

I'm not that good at analog design either, which is why I've abandoned my analog version before even having it working once I found a digital sensor...

Posted

Sorry, I missed whole discussion.

I added sort of low-pass filtering to the code and now servo are much more stable to jerky movements. I have to change S-Video-type connector for trainer cord to something more strong, i.e. COM or VGA port connector, because the cord is often falls out from the nest due its own weight.

Source, HEX code: here

Posted

Great!

Could you post a video of how the new code works?

Posted

Not right now <_< I am going to install it to hat and try in real world. :blink:

Posted

Not right now <_< I am going to install it to hat and try in real world. :blink:

That's great, tell us your result, we will be happy to know more.

Posted

Could someone tell me what's the exact purpose of 10uH chokes on I/O lines of Pirkupet's original schematics? What are they there for? I guess to eliminate some kind of interference, but what kind of? Generated from engine or radio frequency? Or maybe for some impedance matching or sth? Do they serve the same purpose as ferrite rings on p/s lines or I should use ferrite rings as well?

Posted

Could someone tell me what's the exact purpose of 10uH chokes on I/O lines of Pirkupet's original schematics? What are they there for? I guess to eliminate some kind of interference, but what kind of? Generated from engine or radio frequency? Or maybe for some impedance matching or sth? Do they serve the same purpose as ferrite rings on p/s lines or I should use ferrite rings as well?

The chokes are needed for eliminating RF antenna signal in trainer cord. I have seen this solution in the Hitec Flash 5 circuit and did just same.

Here is the updated video with version 2.0 source (low pass filtering): http://forum.rcdesign.ru/index.php?automod...=attach&id=4274

Posted

Thanks! I watched the video and now it really seems to work smoother.

BTW what kind of aircraft is your cam mounted on?

Posted

It's like a Kite Plane from Rogallo. Here is the link to my blog records regarding it:

http://forum.rcdesign.ru/blog/prikupets/in...?showentry=1514,

http://forum.rcdesign.ru/blog/prikupets/in...?showentry=1417,

http://forum.rcdesign.ru/blog/prikupets/in...p?showentry=352,

http://forum.rcdesign.ru/blog/prikupets/in...p?showentry=146

and to my blog itself: http://forum.rcdesign.ru/blog/prikupets/index.php?

Sorry, it is totally in Russian. Please ask me and I will translate some paragraphs for you ;)

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the links

Sorry, it is totally in Russian. Please ask me and I will translate some paragraphs for you  ;)

That should not be a big problem since I studied Russian in primary and in high school. Although I haven't used it since that, I should still remember something

Quite an interresting craft this rogallo thingy. Is it kind of a slow-flyer?

BTW. I see we have the same googles. How do you find yours? Mine are somehow difficult to tune (either the picture is too contrasty/too dark or sth like that

Edited by mieczotronix

Posted

Yes, it's VERY slow. AUW is about 700g, but it's still fly as feather. Pretty difficult to fly in windy day (above 3 m/s).

Googles: same thing. I should constantly tune it, but I suppose it's because of poor camera.

Posted

Sorry, it is totally in Russian.

Indeed :wacko:

The only thing I've been able to read is a quote of one of my posts on here :lol:

Seems pretty interesting though. And yes, these goggles, especially the low resolution version, are pretty difficult to adjust, that's not due to the camera.

Posted

just for the record

The same device Prikupets did on PIC I've managed to do on AVR Atiny2313 +ADXL213AE . I've been still working on it and tweaking things. I also ordered a cheap piezo gyro to see if it can be used to control camera pan (as with the current accelerometer-based setup to pan the camera you have to tillt your head sideways).

Some videos of early prototype on youtube:

Posted

Looks good :)

What is the duration of your rogallow wing plane ?

Do you have any info on your OSD in english ?

Terry

Posted (edited)

I bought one of those to explore it's use as a head tracker. It works really well for the intended purpose. It may work very well for those willing to do the hacking required. Here's what I found:

It works by an IR filtered CMOS camera in the device using built-in IR LEDs spotting a reflective dot on either your forehead or a headband or cap . I didnt check to see if they pulse. There may be issues in full sunlight but I haven't checked on this. At least some of the tracking brains seem to be in the software so if you have a laptop in your system this could be a good way to do the job. My bet is that the camera is feeding USB video to the computer where all the magic happens, but I could be wrong. You would mount the sensor on your transmitter and it would register the alignment between your head and the transmitter. AKA no static drift. As some of you know, I did early experiments in this type of system and I found no downside to the head/transmitter alignment sensing arrangement.

I did like the software which allowed extensive adjustment of the gain and complex response curves for both x and y separately. The software features two 3D heads which mimick first what your head is doing and second, what the gained and curved head is doing as a result of your settings

All in all an interesting device that might work very well for someone that is willing to dig into the signals.

Here's an interesting idea: this product supports Realflight G3 a popular RC flight simulator. One could "try it" by mounting it on the sim transmitter and "flying" the sim from the "cockpit view" while watching the video on video glasses hooked to the PC if you have the glasses/PC compatibility.

Here's a link that reviews details on gain curves and such:

http://www.screenshotart.com/index.php?act...s&CODE=03&id=12

I might sell my "Tracker 3 Pro" to an interested party. Contact me.

Regards,

T.I.

post-8-1168209059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Temporary Insanity

Posted

I was interested in the Tracker 3 Pro too. But, from what I understand, the driver that is installed on the host PC essentially does all the real work. I recall reading that bright indoor lights affected operation. How does yours perform in direct sunlight?

Posted

I haven't tried it in the sun. They claim that the bright light performance has been improved and the software has user settable light compensation.

BTW, the link to the review has some pretty good flight simulator demos.

Posted

Looks good :)

What is the duration of your rogallow wing plane ?

Do you have any info on your OSD in english ?

Terry

I am not the guy who made the OSD shown some posts earlier. That was Prikupets. We are two different guys, you know... ;)

Posted

Yes I know, my questions were directed at him :)

Terry

Posted

Digital compass caught my eye. Ive been thinking of have the ability to know where my underwater camera is

pointing when I put it over the side of the boat up to 100ft down.

It would be nice to know where N,S,E,W is and whee my camera is pointing in relation to them.

Is that possible with things you have seen. This would have to work over wire cable going down to the camera.

Then send the data up to the surface to be superimposed on the video, genlocked or just displayed on another small screen.

The head controll for my underwater camera would be cool but the radio signal would never make it.

I wonder if it could be done right over the wire not needing the RF sig just hook direct over the wire going to the camera?

Ive been wondering if servos or stepper motors is the best way to pan a camera. I mainly would pan the underwater camera

but I might think about tilt if I put the camera in a dome and want to look down and around.

I mostly lower the camera to the depth I want to look around at up to 100ft, so tilt has not been thought about much.

The project is interesting. I agree that the tilting head movement for yaw control would suffice. But, it would be grand if it used a more natural movement.

BTW, this project is similar in function to the HeadTrack-R design attempt from a few years ago. Pitch and Roll used accelerometers, and yaw sensing was from a digital compass. The compass module turned out to be a bad choice. I did experience that accelerometers are perfect for pitch and roll sensing on your head (just don't jump around while you do that :) ).

In case it offers any inspiration, some info on the old HeadTrack-R project, and some photos, are on the old rc-cam forum resource site: http://groups.msn.com/rccam/general.msnw?a...ID_Message=6106

Posted (edited)

This sounds like a very interesting project. I've always enjoyed underwater projects since I was 9 years old and put a hose on a bucker and put the bucket over my head and jumped into the pond. Never could figure out at that age why the bucket always filled up..

This sounds like a project that could make good use of an OSD. Could also monitor temp at that depth among other things. A GPS module could be used to get within a few feet of the location desired as well. The transmitter could be done away with and the video sent to the surface although a video amp might be needed, and run to a recorder and/or display topside. It would be nice to incorporate head tracking as well as mentioned above although I have no idea how boat motion might affect that.. I believe servos would be better than a stepper as the movement would be smoother and 360 degrees in yaw is attainable and pitch would not be hard to stick in there. If not done with a head tracker, servo movement could be slowed down a bit for smoother operation with stick or push button control.

Am not sure but direction indication could probably be incorporated with the OSD or if not the cam could look at a small dimly lit auto compass There's a myriad of of uses dependent only upon your imagination and I believe all of the equipment you need is readily available and just needs to be hooked up. Probably won't need any additional software as well.

How about some videos when you get down there.

Lets go treasure hunting....

Ron

Edited by W3FJW-Ron