#42 Temporary Insanity

Temporary Insanity

RC-Cam Regular

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

http://media.natural...IR_ad_small.wmv

I bought one of those to explore it's use as a head tracker. It works really well for the intended purpose. It may work very well for those willing to do the hacking required. Here's what I found:

It works by an IR filtered CMOS camera in the device using built-in IR LEDs spotting a reflective dot on either your forehead or a headband or cap . I didnt check to see if they pulse. There may be issues in full sunlight but I haven't checked on this. At least some of the tracking brains seem to be in the software so if you have a laptop in your system this could be a good way to do the job. My bet is that the camera is feeding USB video to the computer where all the magic happens, but I could be wrong. You would mount the sensor on your transmitter and it would register the alignment between your head and the transmitter. AKA no static drift. As some of you know, I did early experiments in this type of system and I found no downside to the head/transmitter alignment sensing arrangement.

I did like the software which allowed extensive adjustment of the gain and complex response curves for both x and y separately. The software features two 3D heads which mimick first what your head is doing and second, what the gained and curved head is doing as a result of your settings

All in all an interesting device that might work very well for someone that is willing to dig into the signals.

Here's an interesting idea: this product supports Realflight G3 a popular RC flight simulator. One could "try it" by mounting it on the sim transmitter and "flying" the sim from the "cockpit view" while watching the video on video glasses hooked to the PC if you have the glasses/PC compatibility.

Here's a link that reviews details on gain curves and such:

http://www.screensho...s&CODE=03&id=12

I might sell my "Tracker 3 Pro" to an interested party. Contact me.

Regards,
T.I.

Attached Thumbnails

• Two_Heads.jpg

Edited by Temporary Insanity, 07 January 2007 - 02:34 PM.

It's temporary...really!

#43 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

I was interested in the Tracker 3 Pro too. But, from what I understand, the driver that is installed on the host PC essentially does all the real work. I recall reading that bright indoor lights affected operation. How does yours perform in direct sunlight?
- Thomas

#44 Temporary Insanity

Temporary Insanity

RC-Cam Regular

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

I haven't tried it in the sun. They claim that the bright light performance has been improved and the software has user settable light compensation.

BTW, the link to the review has some pretty good flight simulator demos.
It's temporary...really!

#45 mieczotronix

mieczotronix

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

Looks good :)
What is the duration of your rogallow wing plane ?
Do you have any info on your OSD in english ?

Terry

I am not the guy who made the OSD shown some posts earlier. That was Prikupets. We are two different guys, you know... ;)

#46 Terry

Terry

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Aerial Photography

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

Yes I know, my questions were directed at him :)

Terry

#47 videorov

videorov

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

Digital compass caught my eye. Ive been thinking of have the ability to know where my underwater camera is
pointing when I put it over the side of the boat up to 100ft down.
It would be nice to know where N,S,E,W is and whee my camera is pointing in relation to them.
Is that possible with things you have seen. This would have to work over wire cable going down to the camera.
Then send the data up to the surface to be superimposed on the video, genlocked or just displayed on another small screen.

The head controll for my underwater camera would be cool but the radio signal would never make it.
I wonder if it could be done right over the wire not needing the RF sig just hook direct over the wire going to the camera?

Ive been wondering if servos or stepper motors is the best way to pan a camera. I mainly would pan the underwater camera
but I might think about tilt if I put the camera in a dome and want to look down and around.
I mostly lower the camera to the depth I want to look around at up to 100ft, so tilt has not been thought about much.

The project is interesting. I agree that the tilting head movement for yaw control would suffice. But, it would be grand if it used a more natural movement.

BTW, this project is similar in function to the HeadTrack-R design attempt from a few years ago. Pitch and Roll used accelerometers, and yaw sensing was from a digital compass. The compass module turned out to be a bad choice. I did experience that accelerometers are perfect for pitch and roll sensing on your head (just don't jump around while you do that :) ).

In case it offers any inspiration, some info on the old HeadTrack-R project, and some photos, are on the old rc-cam forum resource site: http://groups.msn.co...ID_Message=6106

#48 W3FJW-Ron

W3FJW-Ron

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:R/C in general, Amateur Radio, N ga Trains, RVing and fishing...

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

This sounds like a very interesting project. I've always enjoyed underwater projects since I was 9 years old and put a hose on a bucker and put the bucket over my head and jumped into the pond. Never could figure out at that age why the bucket always filled up..

This sounds like a project that could make good use of an OSD. Could also monitor temp at that depth among other things. A GPS module could be used to get within a few feet of the location desired as well. The transmitter could be done away with and the video sent to the surface although a video amp might be needed, and run to a recorder and/or display topside. It would be nice to incorporate head tracking as well as mentioned above although I have no idea how boat motion might affect that.. I believe servos would be better than a stepper as the movement would be smoother and 360 degrees in yaw is attainable and pitch would not be hard to stick in there. If not done with a head tracker, servo movement could be slowed down a bit for smoother operation with stick or push button control.

Am not sure but direction indication could probably be incorporated with the OSD or if not the cam could look at a small dimly lit auto compass There's a myriad of of uses dependent only upon your imagination and I believe all of the equipment you need is readily available and just needs to be hooked up. Probably won't need any additional software as well.

How about some videos when you get down there.
Lets go treasure hunting....

Ron

Edited by W3FJW-Ron, 24 April 2008 - 04:27 PM.

Ron