Telemaster Electro Build

63 posts in this topic

Posted

Any news on this? Have you tried your video gear on? How does it flight that baby with all inside?

I'm not sure if you mean me or cfe7. For me, the ETM has been a very pleasant model. It does not mind the extra weight, that is for sure. I would definitely recommend it. I also like the performance and charge-safe aspects of the A123 cells that I used in it too. Overall, two thumbs up.

Posted

I also like the performance and charge-safe aspects of the A123 cells that I used in it too.

I have seen these cells around but not tried them, how would you say they compare to normal LiPoly ?

Thanks, Terry

Posted

I'm not sure if you mean me or cfe7. For me, the ETM has been a very pleasant model. It does not mind the extra weight, that is for sure. I would definitely recommend it. I also like the performance and charge-safe aspects of the A123 cells that I used in it too. Overall, two thumbs up.

Yes I was asking you about ETM. I think I´ll give it a try, has a lot of space to make a reasonable installation with spaces between components. I can´t find those cells on ebay, I´ve read something about them but not sure if they were the same as yours. Do you need a specific charger?

Posted

Yes 123 cells need a different charge than LiPoly.

Terry

Posted

I have seen these cells around but not tried them, how would you say they compare to normal LiPoly ?

Cost is similar to LiPO. They are a bit heavier and come in only one form factor. But, the reported safety aspects are outstanding. They also will accept discharge abuse much better than LiPO's.

Since they have a slightly lower output voltage, apps that would normally use a 4-cell LiPO would need to be a 5-cell A123. That is what I'm using on the Telemaster and it really roars with full throttle (500 watts). I'm totally happy with them.

I can´t find those cells on ebay, I´ve read something about them but not sure if they were the same as yours.

Search ebay for DEWALT 36V BATTERY DC9360

Do you need a specific charger?

I'm using my regulated CC/CV bench power supply. However, I hear that you can use your favorite field or bench R/C charger if you add this low cost adapter: http://www.slkelectronics.com/lipodapter/index.htm. Lastly, I noticed that some of the popular R/C LiPO chargers have been upgraded to handle A123's.

Posted

Hi Mr RC-Cam

I'm curious, do you fly FPV sometime?

Posted

I don't fly FPV.

Posted (edited)

What kind of flights do you usually do then? <_<

Edited by Wavess

Posted

AP I guess ?

Terry

Posted

What kind of flights do you usually do then?

I usually do the same kind of R/C flights that hobbyists have been doing for the last fifty years. But with realtime video and still cameras onboard. :)

Posted

Hi Mr.RC.-CAM I read you´re using an UBEC, are you using this one?

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES...?idProduct=4319

It says it´s switcher reg, with noise reduction, but I doubt that ferrite ring would do much to reduce noise, have you had any problem with it? Did you make an external filter for it?

Posted

I'm using this UBEC: https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES...?idProduct=3735

It seemed to be a little noisy though. I added a toroid to the BEC cable (as per what you see in your link) and that gave satisfactory results (good enough for me). As with any R/C switching Vreg, be sure to test for acceptable ground range BEFORE the first flight.

Posted

On the first Telemaster Electro flight this weekend I sheared off the landing gear when she ran over a rut in the dirt runway. Not a big deal to fix, but I needed some more red covering to finish up the repair. Last year I had asked Hobby Lobby for the brand and color that was used by the manufacturer, but they did not know. So, today I visited a local hobby shop and found that it is simply MonoKote #TOPQ0305 Translucent Red; a perfect match.

So, for those of you that need to repair the red covering, all you need is MonoKote #TOPQ0305. Any well-stocked Hobby Shop should have it.

Posted

On the first Telemaster Electro flight this weekend I sheared off the landing gear when she ran over a rut in the dirt runway. Not a big deal to fix, but I needed some more red covering to finish up the repair. Last year I had asked Hobby Lobby for the brand and color that was used by the manufacturer, but they did not know. So, today I visited a local hobby shop and found that it is simply MonoKote #TOPQ0305 Translucent Red; a perfect match.

So, for those of you that need to repair the red covering, all you need is MonoKote #TOPQ0305. Any well-stocked Hobby Shop should have it.

Curious I asked the same to hobby lobby couple of weeks ago and they told me Ultracote Trans Red, but if monokote matches would be easier to find it here in Spain. Haven´t seen Ultracote here, mostly we have Oracover.

Posted

Curious I asked the same to hobby lobby couple of weeks ago and they told me Ultracote Trans Red, but if monokote matches would be easier to find it here in Spain.

Maybe the various heat shrink covering brands use similar material? I will say the MonoKote looks like an exact match to the existing covering on my ETM.

After the MonoKote repair I decided to move the video camera from under the landing gear to a wing tip. While I was at it, I moved the video Tx to the opposite wing tip to maintain balance. The battery will remain in the fuselage. The nice thing about the new video Tx location is that it can help reduce interference to the R/C receiver and GPS since it is far away from them.

Fishing the new wires into the already built wing was not difficult at all. I just used a 8-32 nut on a long length of thread and dangled it down through the holes in the ribs. I will say that there is a lot of new wire in there now, but there's plenty of room to maintain good distance from the wing's aileron and flap servo wiring.

Since it seems that there is always a bit of interest in how some installations are done, some "build" photos to the camera relocation will follow ...

Posted

First thing to do was to cut a slot in the wing tip for the Video Tx. This particular Tx is an early prototype based on the Airwave AWM612TX RF module. I also mounted the microphone on the wing surface too. The module slips into the cutout and is hidden by a cover. The Tx runs warm, so the cover has an air scoop on it.

You will notice that I use a lot of Toroids on my cables. These are useful for reducing common mode EMI/RFI noise.

post-2-1200803192_thumb.jpg

post-2-1200803203_thumb.jpg

Posted

As mentioned earlier, I'm using the Pandora Pan & Tilt mechanism with a KX-131 CCD camera. It is located slightly outboard from the aileron servo (in a location that allowed the wing to balance with the Tx installed on the far opposite wing tip). I installed a 5V linear voltage regulator on Pandora to power the camera. Putting the regulator close to the KX-131 camera ensures that it gets clean power and avoids the voltage drop from the long cable to the battery.

Of course it all began with cutting a hole in the wing that is aligned with the Pan Base Plate's opening. The front of the plate is held by two 4-40 machine nuts (inside the wing is a Pandora Base Plate Backing part with machine screws glued to it). The plate's rear end is held by two #2 sheet metal screws that are sunk into the wing's spar.

That is all there was to it. It will be a couple weeks before I can try it out. But, I don't expect any issues with the remodel job. One thing is for sure, with the camera moved from under the fuselage to under the wing, I no longer have to worry about decapitation on a hard landing. :)

post-2-1200803456_thumb.jpg

post-2-1200803475_thumb.jpg

post-2-1200803480_thumb.jpg

Posted

As mentioned earlier, I'm using the Pandora Pan & Tilt mechanism with a KX-131 CCD camera. It is located slightly outboard from the aileron servo (in a location that allowed the wing to balance with the Tx installed on the far opposite wing tip). I installed a 5V linear voltage regulator on Pandora to power the camera. Putting the regulator close to the KX-131 camera ensures that it gets clean power and avoids the voltage drop from the long cable to the battery.

Of course it all began with cutting a hole in the wing that is aligned with the Pan Base Plate's opening. The front of the plate is held by two 4-40 machine nuts (inside the wing is a Pandora Base Plate Backing part with machine screws glued to it). The plate's rear end is held by two #2 sheet metal screws that are sunk into the wing's spar.

That is all there was to it. It will be a couple weeks before I can try it out. But, I don't expect any issues with the remodel job. One thing is for sure, with the camera moved from under the fuselage to under the wing, I no longer have to worry about decapitation on a hard landing. :)

Hey! You pretty much mounted the camera and TX right where I have mine mounted!

I noticed you put a ferrite core on the video TX lines. I was considering doing that, but I was concerned that it could do strange things to the video signal. Any idea what sort of impedance mismatch it may create? I suppose if you don't see any ill effects in the video then it doesn't matter anyway!.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Posted

Yes indeed, nearly identical clones. :)

The toroids will have no adverse effect on the video quality. The video signal's content is under 5 MHz, which is substantially below the effective range of the toroids.

Posted

Nice work guys! :D I'm starting to like the idea of the ferrite rings more and more myself. :)

Posted

Nice work, I´m thinking were to install my equipment on my telemaster but this option has a disadvantage, there´s always the side closer to the fuse that´s blinked by it, I supposse it´s better that the omni has a clear space around it, what do u think about it?

Posted

Camera mounting locations are a personal preference sort of thing. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that the fuselage would be in view if I pan far over to one side.

The Telemaster's big size is great for the wing mounted camera. With normal forward facing views, the prop is no longer in front of the camera. Here is an example of a Telemaster with a fixed position wing mounted camera: http://www.dpcav.com/inspire/inspire_demo.htm

Posted

I think I explained bad on my previous post, I didn´t mean the camera position which is the less that bothers me too, I was thinking about the Omni Tx antenna, that it always have 1 side covered by the fuse, example:

If we have the tx on the left half wing and we are flying sideways from left to the right of your field, the tx video antenna it´s placed right behind the fuse, so it would be someway blinded by aircraft´s model. Ideally it´s better that omnis have clear spaces around them without any obstacles. But yes maybe the advantages of this solution are greater than the disadvantages.

Posted

Sorry, my misunderstanding. FWIW, I don't expect any noticeable "blind" spots from the Tx's antenna placement. I agree that the electrical junk in the trunk (fuselage) could be in the RF's way for some low altitude RF signal propagation. But I have flown with my A/V Tx and antenna out on the wing before, on a smaller model where I would expect the problem to be more exaggerated, and I never noticed any issues. There are a few other folks with wing mounted Tx's and they are having very good results, plus the R/C Rx's reliable range often improves with the increased distance from the video Tx.

For long range applications this may matter, especially if the fuselage is fully loaded with metal goods. But, honestly, I don't expect it to be a major worry for an installation involving a model like the Telemaster. I guess the best thing would be for you to try it out on yours if the wing mounting method appeals to you.

Posted

Since mine is mounted in basically the exact same spot... :D

I don't really see any blind spots from having the TX on the wing tip. I'm using a 500mW 900MHz video setup.

http://www.vimeo.com/414571