#21 cfe7

cfe7

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:RC, PC, MC

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

I performed new tests on my Telemaster today. This time the flaps was lowered 15 degrees and the aircraft lifted like a balloon.
It looks very promising. Next test will be negative flaps at altitude, and steep descends. Maybe this box of a plane can do more than I imagined :rolleyes:
Cfe7
Failure is always an option

#22 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

Glad to hear about your continued success!

As an update to my maiden flight, I had the ETM in the air again on Easter day. It is such a joy to fly. It tolerates the ruddy grass field and so ROG takeoffs are painless. With flaps deployed, landings are slow and comfortable. In the air it is a nice stable model -- perfect for what I have in mind. I haven't installed the telemetery and video gear yet -- I'm still having too much fun getting to know the little fellow.
- Thomas

#23 cfe7

cfe7

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:RC, PC, MC

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

More testing of the TM today, this time from grass. The spring finally arrived Bodø here in Northern Norway (did you hear that Mark Harris? :P ), and I just had to fly in the lovely sunshine. B)
Takeoff with 15 degree positive flaps is less than 15 meters with steep climb out. But landing speed is not notably lower than a “clean wing”.
Cfe7
Failure is always an option

#24 Terry

Terry

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Interests:Aerial Photography

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

But landing speed is not notably lower than a “clean wing”.

Thats normal, a lot of people think flaps are so you can land slowly but their main function is to allow a steep approach angle.

Terry

#25 Wavess

Wavess

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:46 AM

Any news on this? Have you tried your video gear on? How does it flight that baby with all inside?
FPV Spanish
FPVspain.com

#26 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

Any news on this? Have you tried your video gear on? How does it flight that baby with all inside?

I'm not sure if you mean me or cfe7. For me, the ETM has been a very pleasant model. It does not mind the extra weight, that is for sure. I would definitely recommend it. I also like the performance and charge-safe aspects of the A123 cells that I used in it too. Overall, two thumbs up.
- Thomas

#27 Terry

Terry

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

I also like the performance and charge-safe aspects of the A123 cells that I used in it too.

I have seen these cells around but not tried them, how would you say they compare to normal LiPoly ?

Thanks, Terry

#28 Wavess

Wavess

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

I'm not sure if you mean me or cfe7. For me, the ETM has been a very pleasant model. It does not mind the extra weight, that is for sure. I would definitely recommend it. I also like the performance and charge-safe aspects of the A123 cells that I used in it too. Overall, two thumbs up.

Yes I was asking you about ETM. I think I´ll give it a try, has a lot of space to make a reasonable installation with spaces between components. I can´t find those cells on ebay, I´ve read something about them but not sure if they were the same as yours. Do you need a specific charger?
FPV Spanish
FPVspain.com

#29 Terry

Terry

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:11 AM

Yes 123 cells need a different charge than LiPoly.

Terry

#30 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

I have seen these cells around but not tried them, how would you say they compare to normal LiPoly ?

Cost is similar to LiPO. They are a bit heavier and come in only one form factor. But, the reported safety aspects are outstanding. They also will accept discharge abuse much better than LiPO's.

Since they have a slightly lower output voltage, apps that would normally use a 4-cell LiPO would need to be a 5-cell A123. That is what I'm using on the Telemaster and it really roars with full throttle (500 watts). I'm totally happy with them.

I can´t find those cells on ebay, I´ve read something about them but not sure if they were the same as yours.

Search ebay for DEWALT 36V BATTERY DC9360

Do you need a specific charger?

I'm using my regulated CC/CV bench power supply. However, I hear that you can use your favorite field or bench R/C charger if you add this low cost adapter: http://www.slkelectr...apter/index.htm. Lastly, I noticed that some of the popular R/C LiPO chargers have been upgraded to handle A123's.
- Thomas

#31 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:aviation,electronic, motorcycle

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi Mr RC-Cam

I'm curious, do you fly FPV sometime?

#32 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

I don't fly FPV.
- Thomas

#33 Wavess

Wavess

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

What kind of flights do you usually do then? <_<

Edited by Wavess, 19 June 2007 - 11:33 PM.

FPV Spanish
FPVspain.com

#34 Terry

Terry

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:38 AM

AP I guess ?

Terry

#35 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

What kind of flights do you usually do then?

I usually do the same kind of R/C flights that hobbyists have been doing for the last fifty years. But with realtime video and still cameras onboard. :)
- Thomas

#36 Wavess

Wavess

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

Hi Mr.RC.-CAM I read you´re using an UBEC, are you using this one?
http://www.unitedhob...?idProduct=4319
It says it´s switcher reg, with noise reduction, but I doubt that ferrite ring would do much to reduce noise, have you had any problem with it? Did you make an external filter for it?
FPV Spanish
FPVspain.com

#37 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

I'm using this UBEC: https://www.unitedho...?idProduct=3735

It seemed to be a little noisy though. I added a toroid to the BEC cable (as per what you see in your link) and that gave satisfactory results (good enough for me). As with any R/C switching Vreg, be sure to test for acceptable ground range BEFORE the first flight.
- Thomas

#38 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

On the first Telemaster Electro flight this weekend I sheared off the landing gear when she ran over a rut in the dirt runway. Not a big deal to fix, but I needed some more red covering to finish up the repair. Last year I had asked Hobby Lobby for the brand and color that was used by the manufacturer, but they did not know. So, today I visited a local hobby shop and found that it is simply MonoKote #TOPQ0305 Translucent Red; a perfect match.

So, for those of you that need to repair the red covering, all you need is MonoKote #TOPQ0305. Any well-stocked Hobby Shop should have it.
- Thomas

#39 Wavess

Wavess

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

On the first Telemaster Electro flight this weekend I sheared off the landing gear when she ran over a rut in the dirt runway. Not a big deal to fix, but I needed some more red covering to finish up the repair. Last year I had asked Hobby Lobby for the brand and color that was used by the manufacturer, but they did not know. So, today I visited a local hobby shop and found that it is simply MonoKote #TOPQ0305 Translucent Red; a perfect match.

So, for those of you that need to repair the red covering, all you need is MonoKote #TOPQ0305. Any well-stocked Hobby Shop should have it.

Curious I asked the same to hobby lobby couple of weeks ago and they told me Ultracote Trans Red, but if monokote matches would be easier to find it here in Spain. Haven´t seen Ultracote here, mostly we have Oracover.
FPV Spanish
FPVspain.com

#40 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

Curious I asked the same to hobby lobby couple of weeks ago and they told me Ultracote Trans Red, but if monokote matches would be easier to find it here in Spain.

Maybe the various heat shrink covering brands use similar material? I will say the MonoKote looks like an exact match to the existing covering on my ETM.

After the MonoKote repair I decided to move the video camera from under the landing gear to a wing tip. While I was at it, I moved the video Tx to the opposite wing tip to maintain balance. The battery will remain in the fuselage. The nice thing about the new video Tx location is that it can help reduce interference to the R/C receiver and GPS since it is far away from them.

Fishing the new wires into the already built wing was not difficult at all. I just used a 8-32 nut on a long length of thread and dangled it down through the holes in the ribs. I will say that there is a lot of new wire in there now, but there's plenty of room to maintain good distance from the wing's aileron and flap servo wiring.

Since it seems that there is always a bit of interest in how some installations are done, some "build" photos to the camera relocation will follow ...
- Thomas