38 replies to this topic

#1 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

I'm in the process of building another Twin Star II after my first one has suffered from to many changes and a few hard crashes. This one will be built with FPV in mind. The first thing I'm doing is removing some of the fuselage foam to gain more room for all the gear :) .
The TSII will carry 2 differnt camera platforms, one for FPV flight and the second camera will be for recording to a DVR placed inside the plane. This will allow for clear video since this plane will go to Off-Road racing events in Californias mojave desert. I have been doing this type of recording but didn't have FPV so keeping the target in cameras veiw was a bit hard. The TSII Im flying now is modified with FPV as a test platform and has worked out fine, but needs improvments so a new one will help solve it.

Here's some video of past flights and testing.

http://grouper.com/M...px?id=2054759#
www.FPVvideo.com

#2 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

Here's pics of my Twin Star testing a longer wing. This wing has carbon fiber leading edge that keeps the wing from flexing. This isn't nessesary but helps keep it a floater with all the wieght onboard (54oz RTF wet)

Attached Thumbnails

• BiggerWing.JPG

www.FPVvideo.com

#3 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

First longer wing test flights.

Attached Thumbnails

• BiggerWingTEST2.JPG

www.FPVvideo.com

#4 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

Here's the Twin StarII that will be replaced with the new one. This one has served me well and will retire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Crash9, 08 April 2007 - 10:55 AM.

www.FPVvideo.com

#5 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

This is my new Twin Star being put together. I moved the servos to the tail to help with the balance. Removed some foam to make room for the gear. I did this on my other one but after it was built. :( The new plane will be painted Black to help my spotter during FPV flights.

Posted Image

Edited by Crash9, 08 April 2007 - 10:44 AM.

www.FPVvideo.com

#6 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

After gluing the halfs together I added a carbon fiber rod to the belly in the antenna groove :) .

Attached Thumbnails

• CFrodonBelly.JPG

Edited by Crash9, 08 April 2007 - 10:52 AM.

www.FPVvideo.com

#7 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

This is the gear my TSII flys with now, I may change it a bit as I go.... ;)

1 2500mha 3 cell1p Lipo Batt.
2 APC 8x4e Props
2 Castle Creations 25 amp ESC
2 Xtra 2829-10 BL motors
4 HS-81 servos
1 HS-81 mod for 180o for Camera
1 2.4 ghz AR7000 RX
1 .9ghz wireless TX (RangeVideo)
1 KX-151 High res camera
1 PA3 microphone
1 Garmin Geko 201 GPS
1 Icircuits On Screen Display (OSD) will upgrde to Inspire or something like it...
1 900mAh 3cell Lipo for camera gear
1 Samsung Sports Camcorder (DVR)with Ex. Camera

Wieght RTF wet 54oz
210 Watts Max
19 amps Max

Edited by Crash9, 08 April 2007 - 10:22 PM.

www.FPVvideo.com

#8 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

Looks good! Is that 19Amps total, between the two motors? If so, that sounds a bit low. My TwinStar pulls a total of 43Amps (21.5 per motor). Granted, it's just a tad overpowered. :D But 19A total may be a bit underpowered. Especially at that weight. Mine is about 47oz and change.

#9 dzbum

dzbum

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

Here's pics of my Twin Star testing a longer wing. This wing has carbon fiber leading edge that keeps the wing from flexing. This isn't nessesary but helps keep it a floater with all the wieght onboard (54oz RTF wet)

Looks great, how much did you add to the wing and what type of foam did you use ?

#10 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

Looks good! Is that 19Amps total, between the two motors? If so, that sounds a bit low. My TwinStar pulls a total of 43Amps (21.5 per motor). Granted, it's just a tad overpowered. :D But 19A total may be a bit underpowered. Especially at that weight. Mine is about 47oz and change.

That's a good ?, I'm not sure on how to test each motor or if I should double the amps. I have the meter pluged in between the battery and both motors so I'm assuming it's total draw is 19amps. Is that correct or do I times it by 2, 38amps?
www.FPVvideo.com

#11 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Looks great, how much did you add to the wing and what type of foam did you use ?

I used the new TSII wings and cut the tips off (1") then did the same to my old ones but cut the the tips 4" longer then glued them to the new wing making them 8" longer. It made the plane even more of a floater :) .
www.FPVvideo.com

#12 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

That's a good ?, I'm not sure on how to test each motor or if I should double the amps. I have the meter pluged in between the battery and both motors so I'm assuming it's total draw is 19amps. Is that correct or do I times it by 2, 38amps?

If you have one battery pack, and you have the amp meter plugged directly into that, then that's the total amp draw for both motors.

It's just a suggestion, but you might look to increasing the power somehow. My TwinStar will pretty much go vertical. You don't need that much power obviously. But something more than 19Amps is probably going to be necessary for such a big plane. My buddy has a TwinStar also and I believe he was pulling 20-25 Amps maybe, and he wasn't too happy with the power. It was fly-able, but he had to be careful about stalling it on approach and banked turns. His is pretty heavy also, with a 1W video transmitter, 6400mAh onboard and standard size servos for the pan/tilt.

Edited by twinturbostang, 08 April 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#13 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

If you have one battery pack, and you have the amp meter plugged directly into that, then that's the total amp draw for both motors.

It's just a suggestion, but you might look to increasing the power somehow. My TwinStar will pretty much go vertical. You don't need that much power obviously. But something more than 19Amps is probably going to be necessary for such a big plane. My buddy has a TwinStar also and I believe he was pulling 20-25 Amps maybe, and he wasn't too happy with the power. It was fly-able, but he had to be careful about stalling it on approach and banked turns. His is pretty heavy also, with a 1W video transmitter, 6400mAh onboard and standard size servos for the pan/tilt.

Thanks twinturbostang, Just 1 battery and it flys pretty nice at 19amps but more power wouldn't hurt. the new TSII should be lighter then my 54oz'er with the same set up, I hope,. I thought about swaping to 2 park 480 outrunners on the new bird, but I'm assuming I would need a bigger lipo battery for the power, and then that would be more weight. If I can keep the weight I have now with swaping to the 480s and bigger lipo in my new plane that would be real nice B) .

Edited by Crash9, 08 April 2007 - 10:26 PM.

www.FPVvideo.com

#14 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

I just finished editing my weekends FPV flight with both cameras and the longer wing. I had some fun with the Picture in Picture B) .

http://grouper.com/v...x...054759&fx=
www.FPVvideo.com

#15 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Intelligent Flight

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

Looks like it flys very well :)

#16 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

Crash9: Sorry, I didn't know you had already flown it in this configuration. Yes, looks like it flies just fine! :)

#17 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

Thanks guys :) , I was over at RCG checking out twinturbostangs plane. I still might try to get alittle more power for the new TSII. I have 2 480 outrunners and a bunch of 2100 lipos, and with the 480s and 2 2100 that might be the way I go. I like twinturbostangs 2 battery connector, and 2 2100 (10oz) lipo vs 1 2500 (6oz)lipo is 4oz difference , the power to weight might be worth it along with longer flights :) . my goal is to stay under 56oz if I can.
www.FPVvideo.com

#18 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

If you get two of the 400F motors from rc-dymond.com or justgofly.com, those work awesome with two 2100's in parallel. That is the setup I have. Powerful, and lightweight.

BTW, if I remember correctly, the Thunder Power 2100's are 120 grams each, so that's 240 grams total or about 8.5 oz.

Edited by twinturbostang, 09 April 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#19 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:51 PM

Yeah I like those motors you have twinturbostang, I looked into them and there a good match for the Twin Star. For this plane though I ended up with the 2 Park 480 outrunners becuase they been sitting around here for a few months so I thought I better get some use out of them. I got the fuse halves glued together last night and installed the motors. Finished the wiring and it's almost ready for the maiden flight :) .

Attached Thumbnails

• TwinStarII_042.jpg

Edited by Crash9, 11 April 2007 - 08:52 PM.

www.FPVvideo.com

#20 Crash9

Crash9

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

With some of the foam inside removed I have more space now for better placment of all the equipment.

Attached Thumbnails

• TwinStarIIGPS__6_.jpg

www.FPVvideo.com