#1 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 20 January 2004 - 08:19 PM

The latest RC-CAM project is posted on the web site: http://www.rc-cam.com/ldtastic.htm

Landtastic is a very sophisticated retract landing gear control system. It is able to slow down the landing gear servo to scale speeds (up to 10 secs of travel time). It also provide full navigational lighting (landing lights and anti-collision strobe), as well as offers a Lost Model Finder alert.

It has other uses too. The servo slowing feature can be used to tame camera panning movement. The device has about 0.8 degree step resolution, so you should be able to obtain reasonably smooth camera movement at slow pan speeds.

If you have any questions or comments please do NOT email me. Instead, post them in this thread.

Attached Thumbnails

• formosa3.jpg

- Thomas

#2 MikeDD

MikeDD

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 04:22 AM

Any problems running 2 servos? I assume the lost plane alarm will only work on PCM if the failsafe is set correctly?

#3 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 07:35 AM

With the PIC's 20mA sink/source servo signal output, it will drive several servos. Sorry, but the lost model alarm will not work on a PCM or DSP Rx.
- Thomas

#4 mikep

mikep

RC-Cam Mentor

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:19 PM

With the PIC's 20mA sink/source servo signal output, it will drive several servos. Sorry, but the lost model alarm will not work on a PCM or DSP Rx.

For years now I've been telling myself to make a plane locator for PCM. Basically just have it look for either no pulse or a pulse over 2ms. You setup the failsafe to put an empty channel as far as it can go (usually about 2150ms) and voila. A failsafe for PCM.

Maybe 2004 willbe the year! :-)

You would think that loosing a complete plane worth about $1200.00 last year would have encouraged me more.

But there are always other projects that keep me more interested!

Edited by mikep, 25 January 2004 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 04:36 PM

You setup the failsafe to put an empty channel as far as it can go (usually about 2150ms) and voila. A failsafe for PCM.

At >2.25mS, Lantastic's lost model alarm is enabled. To differentiate from a missing signal and an out-of-range pulse, the beep rate is slightly different between the two.

If there is any real demand, I could always release a special firmware edition that used a lower threshold {something that is within the range of the average PCM Tx}.
- Thomas

#6 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:17 PM

Hi Mr.RC-CAM :

I built the Basic Servo-Slow (No Options), successfully burned a PIC 12F629, installed the PIC, have double and thriple my work as for wiring. Everything is per basic schematic.

When I tried to do configuration nothing works. In step 3 "With the stick in position, turn on the RX. ...." the servo moves a little, and after the initial movement nothing happens.

My question is :

When I load the hexfile into IC-Prog the fuses are set and the Oscillator is set to intOSC GP4. You have the RC-OUT connected Pin 2 which is GP5. Is this a missprint, is there any relation between intOSC GP4 and GP4/OSC2 (pin 3)?

joekadet

#7 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:18 PM

I have confirmed that the hex file on the web site is fine. Another fellow that has PICALL had trouble too. He did not seem to have the time to help me resolve what is going on.

What version of PICALL are you using? Where did you download it?

When I tried to do configuration nothing works. In step 3 "With the stick in position, turn on the RX. ...." the servo moves a little, and after the initial movement nothing happens.

If you skip the configuration, does Landtastic work? The default settings should allow it to. Is yours ok with the config jumper removed?

When I load the hexfile into IC-Prog the fuses are set and the Oscillator is set to intOSC GP4.

That sounds correct, but on the PIC12F629/F675 there are several different intOSC settings. The names for the settings may differ on different programmers. They all tend to sound about the same, but are not.

The hex file has the fuse settings in it and the PICALL programmer software, if working correctly on the 12F629 part, should automatically config the fuses for proper operation. Are you finding them to be set correctly without intervention? If not, are you choosing the PIC type BEFORE loading the hex file?

Once I download your version I can see if I can make sense of the problem. I do not own the PICALL programmer hardware, so I am hoping I can see something odd by looking at their app software.
- Thomas

#8 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

1. I was refering to IC-Prog Version 1.05C ( Author : Bonny Gijzen)

2. IC-Prog software sets the fuses as well as the oscillator .

3. It doesnot work configured or not. The normal operation is out as well with shorting pin off. It plain does not work. The servo moves once when you turn on rx and that is all.

4. I have programmed two PICs. One using IC-Prog Software and Mult-Chip Programmer. One using PICALL software (Windows Ver 0.15alpha from picallw.com) and P16PRO40 Programmer

5. The servo moves when you turn RX on because it is not receiving any signal. It is acting like when you turn your aircraft receiver on and the tx is off. The servos move a little and stop. This leads me to believe that the pic is not putting out a signal on pin 2

#9 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:16 PM

Mr.RC-Cam ,

If you look at the picture of the software window that is in the web article section " What's Tiny, Black, and Has Eight Legs?" that is the IC-Prog software that I refer to in my original post. I have Ver 1.05c

joe

#10 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:50 PM

MR.RC-CAM,

I could not get the cap DIGI-KEY 1203PHCT in the parts list.
I used a Ceramic Monolithic Cap .1uF 50V 10% DIGI-KEY P4923-ND that I had from a previous project.
This should not have made a difference.

joe

#11 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 07:03 PM

The sub'd cap is fine.

I do not own or use these low cost programmer systems (PICALL, IC-PROG, etc.). So, I cannot actually attempt to program with them to see what is going on.

I loaded the hex file into IC-PROG and the displayed data looked good. Funny though, the bytes are shown swapped in the Hex View, yet the Assembler View is fine.

Please PM me with your email address. I will send you two files to try. One will be the hex file with the bytes reversed and the other will be a binary data file.

Here is what I would like you to try:
(1) Program the part with the reversed byte hex file. Test to see if it works.
(2) Program with the binary file. When you are asked "Do You Want to Swap Bytes," please click YES. Test to see if it works.
(3) If step 2 does not work, then reload the binary file and click NO to the "Swap Bytes?" question.
(4) Report what you find.
- Thomas

#12 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

Mr.RC-CAM,

I now have a working Landtastic Project. I sent a PM to you with a long explanation.

1) These PICs come from the factory with an Oscillator Calibration Value stored in memory address 03FFh.
2) It is important that one reads the virgin chip prior to programming to get the OSC value and record it for future reference.
3) After selecting the type of PIC and then loading the hex file you must make certain that the OSC value that you read in step 2 is the value that is used during the programming process.
4) After programming and verifying read the programmed PIC and check address 03FFh. It must contain the OSC Calibration value.
5) If step 4 is correct you are done. If not find out why the value is not stored in address 03FFh and correct the problem and try again from step 3.

Note :
PICALL software has a -Calibration- value that you can change. (enter the value that was read in step 2 above)
IC-PROG software allows you to edit a memory location. (I would laod the hex file and edit address 03FFh and enter the value read in step 2 above)

In my PM to you I made a recomendation.

Thanks for your help. A good nights sleep does wonders.

-Joe

#13 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for sharing the workaround. It is too bad that the authors of the hobby grade progammer S/W allow such odd behavoir when it comes to things like the OSC value. There will be a lot of messed up PIC's if they do not improve the user interface.

Now that you have it working, how do you like Landtastic?
- Thomas

#14 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:24 AM

I have the Landtastic installed on the landing gear of a 1/5 scale P47. Makes the operation much more scale like. I plan to build several more one of which I plan to use on the flaps of the same aircraft to slow them down. On this aircraft I have to roll in flaps slowly on final or the pitch up gets me into trouble. With landtastic I'm able to put the flaps on the 3 position switch and set it up for flaps up , take off flaps, and landing flaps. The flaps as well look more scale like in operation.

The beauty of Landtastic is that the basic circuit is under $5.00 and with the functionality that it has for a few more $ the potential uses are almost unlimited. To me that is value for around 8 to 9 dollars.

The only drawback is that I have to wait until Spring to fly with the way our weather has gone this Winter here in Delaware. It will take until then for the runway to dry out.

#15 yb2normal

yb2normal

RC-Cam Regular

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Wireless Aerial Video, electric RC airplanes, webpage design

Posted 08 February 2004 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for sharing the workaround. It is too bad that the authors of the hobby grade progammer S/W allow such odd behavoir when it comes to things like the OSC value

I guess this begs the question of which programmers/software packages are easier to work with without breaking the bank.

I'll put in a plug for the epic programmer from http://www.melabs.co...oducts/epic.htm

It has never had a problem programming any of the RC-CAM projects, and it can be had for around $60 if you can scrounge up your own power supply and cables.

Regards,
Bill

#16 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:49 AM

The beauty of Landtastic is that the basic circuit is under $5.00 and with the functionality that it has for a few more $ the potential uses are almost unlimited.

Thanks for the kind words. I agree that Landtastic has a lot of other potential uses. For example, I think it would make a great gadget to smooth out the movement of a camera's pan or tilt servo.

I'll put in a plug for the epic programmer from http://www.melabs.co...oducts/epic.htm

When you have a chance, can you try it with a PIC12F629/675 and report what you find? Those are fairly new chips -- My other projects use the PIC12C508/509, which are older devices and so the various chip burner's app software is more mature.
- Thomas

#17 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:23 AM

It has never had a problem programming any of the RC-CAM projects, and it can be had for around $60 if you can scrounge up your own power supply and cables.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks for the link. I have looked at other programmers; however, they are $600 and up.
Does the Epic use a straight thru parallel cable used?

Regards,

joe

Edited by joekadet, 08 February 2004 - 09:38 AM.

#18 yb2normal

yb2normal

RC-Cam Regular

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Wireless Aerial Video, electric RC airplanes, webpage design

Posted 09 February 2004 - 10:22 AM

I ended up buying the whole package because I was too lazy to find my own power supply and cable, so I'm not sure about the cable. I suspect it is just a regular printer cable.

Regarding the PIC12F629/675 programming, I'll pick a couple up on my next order to digikey and try them out.

Regards,
Bill

#19 joekadet

joekadet

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:17 AM

I suspect it is just a regular printer cable.

Regarding the PIC12F629/675 programming, I'll pick a couple up on my next order to digikey and try them out.

Regards,
Bill

I received my 12F629s and an EPIC programmer and software Monday. The Parallel cable is a pin for pin thru cable, all 25 pins. It uses pins 2-6,10,19-25.

I read the virgin chip and noted the OSC CAL value. I selected the 12F629/675 PIC, loaded the Landtastic hex file, programmed the chip erasing before programming. The programmer is very fast taking less than 8 seconds to program and verify. The chip verified successfully. Epic leaves the factory value alone in location 3FF!

The programmed PIC works fine in the landtastic project.

Bill, you are right the EPIC programmer and software are good. This will relegate my other two programmers to also ran status.

Thanks for the heads up,

Joe

Edited by joekadet, 17 February 2004 - 06:37 AM.

#20 TomJacoby

TomJacoby

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:50 AM

Mr. RC-CAM,

Thanks for the Landtastic design - I built the basic version, and it worked perfectly!

I assembled a DIY K128 PICmicro Programmer kit (from kitsrus.com) to program a 12F629 for my Landtastic. By default, this programmer reads and restores the factory value in 3FFF. The only significant issue with this programmer was finding an A - A USB cable to connect it to my PC :huh:

Regards,

Tom Jacoby
Houston, TX

Edited by TomJacoby, 28 April 2004 - 04:52 AM.