Photo

My autopilot: first phase ready (stabilization)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tom

tom

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

Hello,

I've been working no my autopilot for a while. The idea is to create a unit that serves as stabilization (with thermophiles) and servo-controller. Input for this unit is the roll and pitch angle (right now using rc-transmitter). Input could also come from uart, so a wireless digital transmitter or another microcontroller (with gps connected) can steer it.
The whole thing runs on a PIC16F877 and was packed into only 2k code :-)

More information, photos and movies on my website: http://tom.pycke.be

Comments and suggestion appreciated!

Edited by tom, 15 July 2007 - 09:50 AM.

#2 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

Kudos to the handsfree launch demo.
- Thomas

#3 Daniel Wee

Daniel Wee

RC-Cam Mentor

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

Nice work and good blog. I'm working on an autopilot myself and only have altitude control to test. Mine is purely GPS based though. I do have a 5DOF IMU which I originally intended to use but the autopilot works without the IMU so I'm going to keep it simple for now and work on the IMU separately.

Daniel

#4 tom

tom

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Hi Daniel,

I have been thinking of using GPS for altitude control as well, but is is good enough? On my GPS the altitude changes rapidly when i move the module...

Tom

#5 Daniel Wee

Daniel Wee

RC-Cam Mentor

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

My preliminary tests suggests that it will work - it won't be fantastically precise but should more or less work. The altitude does occasionally make big jumps when the satellite configuration changes and can produce up to 20m of change. The key is to be gradual with everything, rather than reacting fully and immediately.

Daniel

#6 LoopForEver

LoopForEver

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:UAV+FPV :D<br>Airplanes+Heli<br>MicroLight Aircraft<br>Lasers<br>Business<br>Christinaty

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Nice project :)

Will be ideal with the Intelligent Flight OSD, when example you get out of range, it can automatic come back home.
Later it could also be cool with planned waypoint navigation..

Also looked what sensors to use for autopilot,
and come up with Thermophiles and GPS for a *good* start,
ofcause more smart stuff can be added later, but will probaly fly well with just thoose sensors.

GPS is pretty good for Altimeter when you not making loops and bad things, hehe - just average everything and its get even better - A static/dynamic pressure sensor, can maybe also be used as a backup system.

Can i have a look a the source for the PIC, tom?

Loopforever

#7 tom

tom

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Hello Loopforever,

Right now I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with all this... Release it as an open-source project? Try to commercialize it? Both? :-)

But in the mean time I'll be happy to help you out with any questions or issues you might have!

I just added another feature. When making sharp turns with a roll angle of like 35 degrees or more, the plane lost altitude. An aeronautics friend of mine explained me a simplified formula to tackle this:
The lost left because of the roll angle is proportional with 1/cos(roll). Some simple vector calculus shows that. Right!
The lift of a delta/wing is more or less linear with its elevator angle RELATIVE TO THE ZERO-LIFT POSITION. That zero lift position is the down-elevator position where the plane has no lift anymore. For my plane this is around -9 .

So (pseudo code, i'm still testing it :-) ):
elevator_out = (elevator_out + 9) /cos(roll_angle)

Tom

Edited by tom, 19 July 2007 - 12:16 PM.

#8 robyr1

robyr1

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

ANY SUGGESTION???for what?? ;-)
If you would like to sell that unit,i will be the first person!

#9 prax

prax

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

TOM
Could you please post more info on your stabilization unit...

#10 Andre

Andre

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:16 AM

keep up the good work.