#1 defenderjim

defenderjim

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

Hello,

Is anyone FPV'ing and using Video Glasses or a monitor with an Artificial Horizon ?

I would like to have something which shows attitude on the monitor while flying.

If so, what are you using ?

Thanx.

#2 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:aviation,electronic, motorcycle

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:56 PM

peoples don't use artificial horizon because they have the real horizon in front of the eyes. No one fly fpv in cloud for long period or in the night, we prefer sunshine :)
to have altitude many osd are available.

#3 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

Intelligent Flight is working on one that will interface with their DragonOSD. They're in the development/design stage now.

#4 defenderjim

defenderjim

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:20 AM

>peoples don't use artificial horizon because they have the real horizon in front of the eyes.

So, people are not loosing orientation when flying ?
Are they using wide angle lenses on the cameras ?

#5 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Intelligent Flight

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:55 AM

People tend to lose orientation with where they are flying from, and can't work out how to get back, rather than seeing the horizon.

Horizon is super easy to find, If you see sky, nose down, if you see ground, pull up :) OSD's are there to help you find your way home safely.

#6 Vrflyer

Vrflyer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:aviation,electronic, motorcycle

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

So, people are not loosing orientation when flying ?
Are they using wide angle lenses on the cameras ?

It's common to think we lost orientation while flying for people who never tried it, but imagine yourself 100 to 400ft from the ground, you will see the landscape, you will see everything the same but on another angle, you have no reason to lost orientation.
Sure if you take-off and go in straight line and begin to think where you are 5 min later, you will be lost. But normally when you are not familiar somewhere, you go progressively to explore and come back rapidly.
In seven years of flying, it happen to me only one time I was lost for around 30sec. but I take time while turning and finally see something that help me to know where to go. If I had not know where to go, I would land there, and watch the video in playback to understand in which direction I gad gone and where I land.
When you learn to fly like in a real plane, you don't use anything other than your eye and horizon, forgot osd at first, you will need osd with return home feature when you will go beyond 1km, inside this range you will easily recognize your landing spot aera.

#7 twinturbostang

twinturbostang

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

It's still a good idea to familiarize yourself with the flying field. You CAN get lost. It does happen to people that jump into FPV and are not prepared. The best thing to do is to look at your flying field using Google Earth. Study all of the terrain features (trees, roads, buildings, etc.). Then you will be much more prepared. Also keep in mind that you will have a lot smaller field of view than if you were actually in a real airplane. Your eyes have about 180 degrees of view without turning your head. This is much more than you will see through the camera, which will be closer to 90 degrees. Using a wide angle lens will definitely help.

Edited by twinturbostang, 22 November 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#8 defenderjim

defenderjim

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Ok, thanks for the info.

#9 Doofer

Doofer

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Gliders (especially slope), electric, heli, submarine, rockets, quadrocopters

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:51 AM

Has anyone else encountered a 'phase change' at about 600 ft?
Below this, it seems easy to stay orientated, have a 'feel' for where one is.
Above this, suddenly you feel you are 'up in the sky', the ground can appear to drift slowly by or even feel as if it has stopped moving.

It probably varies with the field of view, but I'm impressed (and made anxious!) by the feeling of detachment that seems to switch in.

#10 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Modelling, electronics, computers

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:07 AM

Not really... of course the references you've used yourself to will become smaller and less apparent, but that's where you take other ones further apart and do the same ;)

#11 dalbert02

dalbert02

RC-Cam Regular

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:saltwater flyfishing, uavs, biking, urban exploring

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:17 AM

I look forward to having a artificial horizon. I have been in clouds where it would have been very useful. I have flown at night where it also would have been very useful. In fact, I prefer to fly at night, the scenery can be much prettier!
-dave

#12 macboffin

macboffin

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Primarily UAVs, but also anything that flies, including birds, insects.

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

Turbostangs reply good advice, fly around at increasing altitudes near the field and look for prominent features near the field. If you are really worried about it, keep a coloured smoke flare handy, if you get lost fire it up and look for the smoke! Good system if flying where there are few stand-out features.