Wavess

Another Electro Telemaster FPV

85 posts in this topic

Thank you..

Ron

Hi Wavess, nice plane you got there.. i am thinking about doing the same, once i learn how to fly properly :P

Since i am also situated in Europe i would like to know if you purchased the TME at hobby lobby and if the answer is yes, what did you pay for the shipment?

I am also very interested in the hardware you used in it. The links to hobbycity seem to have expired. I would like to know the model names of the equipment you used since i am kind of irritated by all the things involved in choosing the right brushless motor :P.

Thx, Jens

Hi, I bought Telemaster from hobbylobby, I bought it during a summer trip to the USA. I think they were asking for 120$ shipping costs, but shipping with USPS cost me 60$. When I was on USA I shipped myself by USPS and that was about 60$, if I remember well.

I don´t know what you mean about broken links, I can see the items well, anyway, here we go again:

Motor: (TR 42-50A 700KV BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER)

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...?idProduct=2099

ESC: TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...?idProduct=2166

The battery is not shown anymore, but whatever 4S with at least 4100 mah should do well, try to go with 15C, we don´t need here a higher discharge lipo, and you can save some grams.

With this config and an APC prop 13x8E, system is pulling 47A, that means 714Watts :o plenty of power

The UBEC I´m ussing is a castle creations ubec, I haven´t seen any noise coming from them. I think I´m buying more of them, to use them for video as well.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html

I strongly suggest that you learn how to fly with an easier plane such as an easystar. Telemaster is not that hard, but for me it´s not a single trainer, it´s a bit more advanced

BTW, today I was testing one more thing, I placed an analog servo with 180º capable (external circuit) and place it on the same channel than my Hyperion digital servo, well the behavior was exactly the same for both, so I think I don´t have a problem on this. Since I received yesterday more hyperion digital servos, I´ll try with them to see what happens.

Thx for the info, ive got several 3s Lipos, might it be possible to use them with the TME?

i already got an easystar and i am quite able in flying in it so far.. but still not enough to dare flying a wooden plane yet =) The last few "incidents" seemed to be more or less caused by mechanical/electric problems than human error.. thats an improvement i guess ^^

First i hab problems with Tamiya standard plugs i used to connect the Lipo with ESC.. they got hot and lost connection somehow which caused the ESC to loose power and after that the only way my ES went was down :P I am using 4mm Gold plugs now.

After that one of my wings dissassemled itself during flight, since i made the error to use Polyacrylate glue for the wing assembly. Used a proper glue this time.

Last but not least (but no severe crash happened here) the ESC i was using developed some sort of loose contact which caused it to shut down only seconds after i threw it. Bought a new one, no problems since...

so in retrospect you might call it a mixture of mechanical problems AND human error ^^ but i guess i am learning my lessons and hope to be able to take the next step in my "evolution" soon.

Thx for the info, ive got several 3s Lipos, might it be possible to use them with the TME?

I don´t think so if you use the motor I´ve posted, there are other propulsion possibilities, do a search at rcgroups.com

After many days with bad weather here in Madrid and other technical problems today I´ve maidenned this telemaster on fpv. It´s quite easy to fly with it, a little bit harder to land because there is no plane part reference and telemaster glides a lot, all have been great and was a succesful flight, now I would travel with it to the french meeting. Will post some videos after this event.

a little bit harder to land because there is no plane part reference and telemaster glides a lot

The TME does indeed glide a lot (very high lift wing). Without flaps, I find I have a hard time convincing it to land. :)

See, now, its threads like this that make me think the Electro Telemaster should be my next FPV plane. I'm currently using a highly modified Slow Stick and an Easystar. Both are very nice for FPV, but I plan on adding all kinds of electronic goodies to my next FPV platform, which adds weight. Seems like the Electro Telemaster should be easily up to the task of carrying additional weight. I'm planning on having an OSD, multiple cameras, and a return to home device. Oh, and maybe a super high capacity battery. Something like 7-8000 mah. Would like at least a safe 45 minutes of flight time. You guys think this is possible with an Electro Telemaster?

Telemaster is ideal to carry extra weight; right now I've ordered a second 3.300 4s lipo so I'd fly with a total of 6.600 mah, I think that would be enough to fly 45 minutes, we'll see. This plane will fly well with extra weight; but take care always heavier planes means more nervous too.

Yeah, extra weight is always enough to make me nervous. At least from what I've read, the Telemaster is a really gently flier, so that should help keep me somewhat calm. :) Does anybody have a suggestion for a GPS autopilot that is somewhat plug and play? I'm pretty sure I could work my way through any reasonable difficulties getting one to work with a Telemaster, but if it requires all kinds of custom programming, I doubt I'll be able to get it to work.

I was playing today with hyperion servo commander (pc programmer) for another little digital servo that I have (DS11SCB) and that I want to rotate to 180º. Well while programming I saw this option servo deadband(us) and this is what the manual tells:

... Also some receivers may have a small jitter on the output signal causing an undesirable servo "buzz". If servo "buzz" is found then this value should be increased to the minimum level at which the "buzz" is eliminated. The default value is 2us and can be adjusted to 16 us max.

Too bad I discover this now because that was my main problem with interferences. This could have solved easyly I guess with this nice feature. Right now I´ve mounted my 868mhz rx system and haven´t seen this problem at all.

Servos are good quality with a nice software to program them, I´m really happy with them.

Telemaster is ideal to carry extra weight; right now I've ordered a second 3.300 4s lipo so I'd fly with a total of 6.600 mah, I think that would be enough to fly 45 minutes, we'll see. This plane will fly well with extra weight; but take care always heavier planes means more nervous too.

Hi Waves, what is the flying time with the lipo you have at the moment (i think is 3300mha,...right ?) :huh:

G

Edited by Gil

Hi Waves, what is the flying time with the lipo you have at the moment (i think is 3300mha,...right ?) :huh:

G

Not very sure yet because I haven´t had a chance to flight it with all the equipment working ok. I did a bad conection on those days trying to get rid interferences and fried all my gps + osd components. When I maiden on fpv I did it without knowing the main battery voltage but I flew aprox 15 min, I think it could do easyly 25 min, but soon I´ll know with all my gear fixed.

I´m asking this because i converted my glow powered trainer 40 to electric and i´ve tested 10C to 15C-4S(4100mah) Lipo batterys and i came to the conclusion that they aren´t enough, so i changed to 20C - 4S and everything was fine, it didn´t get as hot as the previous and i could get more speed with the same propeller, i must say i´m using an 900Kv/ 900watt brushless motor .

G

After all issues explained here right now I can say I have my Telemaster full operational for flying fpv. I had to get rid of the Castle UBEC, something was going on with it and the Aerocomm module, I had a clear 5V from it like Aerocomm requires but for some reason this fried Aerocomm modules (I guess that ms voltage peaks at power up did it). I fried 3 Aerocomm modules until I realize what the problem was. Right now I´m using my ESC/BEC as the power supply source for receiver + servos.

Last weekend went to fly a little bit, and now with my OSD and battery voltage readings working alright. I´m using a 13x8 APC E on it. With a 4S 3200 mah I have about 10-12 min of flying. I tried with my 4200 mah but I had less flying time than from the 3200mah :o I assume is because this battery was charged like 4 weeks before this weekend. Now I have to try with 2 x 3200 mah in parallel and see how long I can fly. I´m planning to sacrify little bit of trust by mounting an APC 12x8 E but having longer flying times than with the 13x8. The goal is to have about 30 min of flying, enough to travel far and come back.

Hopefully this weekend I´ll keep on trying.

After all issues explained here right now I can say I have my Telemaster full operational for flying fpv.

It's great to hear all the gear is finally working. Sorry to hear that more electronics were sacraficed along the way.

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the Hyperion digital servos. I picked up some HP-DS12's and HP-DS13's. They really are ideal for camera pan & tilt applications. The DS12 is a perfect fit in the Pandora pan axis too. The programmable travel speed is nice since you can slow them down for gentle camera movement. But, the killer feature is the programmable end points. I set it to maximum and got 180 degrees movement on my R/C system, which is 2X more travel than a normal servo. Although I don't mind hacking servos to do such things, the Hyperions make it painless and easy. Two thumbs up. :)

It's great to hear all the gear is finally working. Sorry to hear that more electronics were sacraficed along the way.

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the Hyperion digital servos. I picked up some HP-DS12's and HP-DS13's. They really are ideal for camera pan & tilt applications. The DS12 is a perfect fit in the Pandora pan axis too. The programmable travel speed is nice since you can slow them down for gentle camera movement. But, the killer feature is the programmable end points. I set it to maximum and got 180 degrees movement on my R/C system, which is 2X more travel than a normal servo. Although I don't mind hacking servos to do such things, the Hyperions make it painless and easy. Two thumbs up. :)

I used following a friend´s comment on them. He tried first on pandora, and programmed one for me to try. Right now I´m using them on all my planes and they work great. The PC interface is really user friendly.

I see that dpcav.com have them on stock now. Great to have more sources for them :)

I see that dpcav.com have them on stock now.

Yes, indeed. The products you see there are usually items that I have tried and liked. Hyperion's programmable digital servos definitely deserve a spot at dpcav.com.

After a while I searched a bit on unitedhobbies´ site and I saw some reviews about pulling Amps that I don´t get that low at all. I´m using a 13x6 APC E and with a Clamp I get around 50A out of a 4S lipo, while some users reports on united as low as 30A with same prop. The other day I changed my prop to an APC 12x8 E and I got 43A, still to high, other users with a 12x6 APC E reported 27A.

I´m using a 13x6 APC E and with a Clamp I get around 50A out of a 4S lipo, while some users reports on united as low as 30A with same prop.

That's a big enough difference to believe something innocent is going on. Could be your meter does not like the current's waveform (so try another meter brand). Maybe their amps was while the model was in the air versus static bench test? Or, maybe your motor was built with the wrong turns or winds. Or, maybe their reported 30 Amps was actually on a 3S and they misspoke.

If it's none of those things, and you believe the other data, then your motor is bad. If it has gotten too hot, the magnets will be damaged, and efficiency will be ruined.

That's a big enough difference to believe something innocent is going on. Could be your meter does not like the current's waveform (so try another meter brand). Maybe their amps was while the model was in the air versus static bench test? Or, maybe your motor was built with the wrong turns or winds. Or, maybe their reported 30 Amps was actually on a 3S and they misspoke.

If it's none of those things, and you believe the other data, then your motor is bad. If it has gotten too hot, the magnets will be damaged, and efficiency will be ruined.

Would have to try AMP meter I think. Mine is Graupner for CC clamp. Many users reports lower AMPS compared to mine, a bit more with 4S

27A 12x6

38A 14x7

30A 13x8

And this in conjuction with that the other day I only could fly around 12 min with my 4400mah 4S battery makes me think on it. I´m going to flight today and with my battery fresh charged, and with 12x8 APC E, we´ll see how the voltage behaves when I put it full throtle.

You have same motor than mine on your telemaster, I now you´re using dewalt cells, but could you tell me how many AMPS are you wasting?

I'm using United Hobbies HXT4250 brushless outrunner. It was purchased 1.5 years ago, so it might be different than the TR4250A they sell now. With an APC 13 x 8E prop, it is pulling 36 amps at 15.5V, 7.5K RPM, static bench operation.

If your ESC has timing settings, then try changing them to find the best efficiency.

After a while I searched a bit on unitedhobbies´ site and I saw some reviews about pulling Amps that I don´t get that low at all. I´m using a 13x6 APC E and with a Clamp I get around 50A out of a 4S lipo, while some users reports on united as low as 30A with same prop. The other day I changed my prop to an APC 12x8 E and I got 43A, still to high, other users with a 12x6 APC E reported 27A.

If you're referring to the product reviews, I would take them with a grain of salt. A lot of items reviewed have probably not been actually measured but guessed at (wishful thinking) or written to make reviews sound good, I think to get a higher % of credit or for whatever reason. It's sometimes hard to tell which review is accurate and honest unless you're somewhat knowledgeable about the person writing the review.

I suspect, but will not swear that your readings are probably correct for the particular motor and props you are using.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Would have to try AMP meter I think. Mine is Graupner for CC clamp.

The Graupner clamp meter works perfectly fine. At least the 2 we have do :)

I'm using United Hobbies HXT4250 brushless outrunner. It was purchased 1.5 years ago, so it might be different than the TR4250A they sell now. With an APC 13 x 8E prop, it is pulling 36 amps at 15.5V, 7.5K RPM, static bench operation.

If your ESC has timing settings, then try changing them to find the best efficiency.

Mine is from 1 year ago aprox, I don´t remember well but I think that it´s the HXT4250 too, at least it doesn´t look same as what they got now on their site. I attach a picture of it. I think I´m going to buy one, for 28$ it deserves a try

If you're referring to the product reviews, I would take them with a grain of salt. A lot of items reviewed have probably not been actually measured but guessed at (wishful thinking) or written to make reviews sound good, I think to get a higher % of credit or for whatever reason. It's sometimes hard to tell which review is accurate and honest unless you're somewhat knowledgeable about the person writing the review.

I suspect, but will not swear that your readings are probably correct for the particular motor and props you are using.

That´s true, and there is no bad reviews there, because they delete them. But for my case I think I´m pulling too much amps, specially now that Mr.Rc-cam has confirmed, he should pull a bit more amps than me, he´s using a bit higher voltage

The Graupner clamp meter works perfectly fine. At least the 2 we have do :)

Never had a problem with mine, till this issues, but I´m thinking that my motor is defective, I´m going to buy a new 4S battery too, don´t like my hextronics. Today with a fresh charged one voltage went down to 14V at full throtle, 4100 mah 15C, not really good.

Had some problems with the on my lancair too, so it´s time to change batteries

post-1754-1215119844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wavess