10 replies to this topic

#1 qnzkrew

qnzkrew

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

hey mr rc-cam i was just on the dcpav website and they have ainspire 3.4 addendum. how can i upgrade my inspire osd to show mAh data? how would i upgrade my firmware?

#2 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

The Inspire OSD supports a PC based bootloader so that you can simply reflash it. To obtain the upgrade files, please send an email to dpcav.com requesting it (http://www.dpcav.com...amp;mode=update).

Be sure to include the serial number of your Inspire, video mode (PAL or NTSC), along with the firmware version you currently use. That information is needed to ensure the correct files are sent to you.
- Thomas

#3 qnzkrew

qnzkrew

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:21 AM

sorry for my ignorance. i dont know how to connect the inspire osd to my computer . i dont have a bootloader. can you please explain. in the meantime i will research how to . thanks]

Edited by qnzkrew, 09 April 2008 - 06:22 AM.

#4 qnzkrew

qnzkrew

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

i just saw that dcpav sells a cable for this. i will get the cable. do i need a ssoftware or anything or will the file dcpav sends me go directly to the booloader ? i also want to use the rpm sensor how many magnets do i need? my motor has 14 poles i dont knoe if thats hoe many magnets i need. sorry for all the questions

#5 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

You can buy the RS-232 cable from dpcav or make your own. The bootloader's PC app is available for download. All the details are in the files that would be sent to you.

The tachometer requires two magnets for typical application. More information is found in Inspire's installation guide.
- Thomas

#6 qnzkrew

qnzkrew

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

thank you very much sir

#7 W3FJW-Ron

W3FJW-Ron

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:R/C in general, Amateur Radio, N ga Trains, RVing and fishing...

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Will the Tach circuitry ever be amended to require only one connection to a motor phase like Eagletrees or is their application patented..?
Ron

#8 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

There was a prototype brushless motor tach interface that was developed for the OSD (well before EagleTree announced the one for their LCD panel). From what I recall, it was the first mention of anything like it (that really worked). If you look through the old Gecko thread I believe there is a photo and mention of it. However, it was not released; we stayed with the traditional hall effect sensor & magnet method since it was universal (compatible with anything and everything and brainless to install).
- Thomas

#9 W3FJW-Ron

W3FJW-Ron

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Ahhhhh, I'm old and getting older day by day and still thinking in the 50s I guess. As I read your reply it jumped to a place in my memory that remembered that the newer magnets aren't shaped like a horshoes and are quite small. Please excuse some of these unsmart (I don't like saying stupid) queries I have a tendency to ask about. I'll have to do a search here and find out about mounting the magnets & hall effect devices.
Ron

#10 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Rare earth Neodymium magnets are amazingly powerful for their size. The ones supplied with Inspire's tach interface are very tiny (3.0mm diameter x 1.5mm high).
- Thomas

#11 W3FJW-Ron

W3FJW-Ron

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Yes, I've been looking for magnets for canopies and other use. I did stumble across these in a link, but I haven't been able to find the smaller ones (3, 4, 5, etc mm) they had on site previously.

http://www.dealextre...x/category.1105

Edited by W3FJW-Ron, 09 April 2008 - 08:09 PM.

Ron