• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jonpet55

jonpet55

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:- Ham radio<br> - Electronics<br> - R/C (FPV)<br> - Music production<br> - Spaceflights

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:46 AM

Rangevideo has just released their first OSD-solution.
This one looks really good - with autopilot as well.

I think this will be a hard competitor for the Dragon OSD!

http://www.rangevide...products_id=135

#2 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

Very cool looking. ElCheapo, the designer of it, has certainly covered all the desirable FPV features. If the low price is coupled with good customer support, then it will be another killer FPV solution.

Two years ago the FPV OSD market was non-existent. There will soon be perhaps a half-dozen different designs available for sale. My oh my, things have dramatically changed!
- Thomas

#3 eickst

eickst

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

I've had no problems dealing with Rangevideo but I have seen a lot of people complain about a lack of response from Vova on orders etc. However, anytime I've ordered stuff I've gotten it in two or three days. I haven't run into any support issues though, so I can't speak on his response from that aspect.

#4 Terry

Terry

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Aerial Photography

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Dose that mean OSD prices will fall ??? ;)

Terry

#5 jonpet55

jonpet55

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:- Ham radio<br> - Electronics<br> - R/C (FPV)<br> - Music production<br> - Spaceflights

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

eickst: I would have said the same as you a month ago. Sorry to say I don't have that opinion anymore. I ordered a pan/tilt kit for my TSII which I've been waiting for allmost 3.5 weeks. Still haven't got it, and vova doesn't respond. I guess it will be worse after the release of this OSD.

Terry: The number of commercial OSD-solutions has exploded the last few years, so yes, I'll guess the prices will fall.

#6 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

Dose that mean OSD prices will fall ??? ;)

This one is only $300 with 5-Hz GPS, so that sounds like a low cost deal to me.

Want it cheaper? Well, the OSD option from Eagle Tree will be $45. It uses the MAXIM OSD chip, which is a nice component (sort of like a modernized STV5730). They mentioned earlier this year that the software interface will be made public so that the OSD can be used by hobbyists for other things. If they follow through, then you could use their OSD board along with your own custom hardware to make something cool. Or, if you already have the Eagle Tree telemetry system, then you already there. :)

What is critical for these products to succeed is top notch customer support. OSD's often require more handholding than the usual R/C FPV products.
- Thomas

#7 Wavess

Wavess

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

What is critical for these products to succeed is top notch customer support. OSD's often require more handholding than the usual R/C FPV products.

Agree specially at those first moments such as beta testing stages. Once the product is well known by users, this comes down quickly. I think that an OSD is a device for advanced users, to do in sight flights I think itīs not necessary.
Regarding what you told before about the really fast evolution for this gadgets itīs surprising how these companies with new products grow. For sure nowadays there is a big market, enough to have all those dealers existing, but I do think too that perhaps there is no longer room for all, weīll see, comunication with customers would be a must for the survivors.
Traditional r/c dealers, and manufactures seem donīt enter in this market, too bad for them if this modality tends like today growing, they would need to adapt to the marketīs changes, this is a gold rule in business
FPV Spanish
FPVspain.com

#8 Blue Sky

Blue Sky

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:18 PM

Very tempting!
The screen displays look dynamite!
Still, alot of unanswered questions.
There is no picture of the OSD and even the actual weight and dimensions are undecided.
The specs put the autopilot and return to home on the same line, raising the question can it actually follow waypoints or is it just a failsafe feature.
The specs show a vario function, would that be from gps altitude alone? Most are not accurate enough to do that.
There seems to be an arificial horizon, how is that supposed to work without IR sensors or an IMU? In theory bank angle can be calculated knowing speed and turn radius but I've never seen it done for an artificial horizon.
Will there be options for sensors, IMU, data logging, Google Earth mapping and waypoints?
It does look promising, and the price is right.

-Dave

#9 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Modelling, electronics, computers

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

There seems to be an arificial horizon, how is that supposed to work without IR sensors or an IMU?

It's not an AHI, but the "home pointer".

#10 jonpet55

jonpet55

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:10 AM

Very tempting!
The screen displays look dynamite!
Still, alot of unanswered questions.
There is no picture of the OSD and even the actual weight and dimensions are undecided.
The specs put the autopilot and return to home on the same line, raising the question can it actually follow waypoints or is it just a failsafe feature.
The specs show a vario function, would that be from gps altitude alone? Most are not accurate enough to do that.
There seems to be an arificial horizon, how is that supposed to work without IR sensors or an IMU? In theory bank angle can be calculated knowing speed and turn radius but I've never seen it done for an artificial horizon.
Will there be options for sensors, IMU, data logging, Google Earth mapping and waypoints?
It does look promising, and the price is right.

-Dave

The dimensions of the board is 9x5cm - weight is still unknown.
Vova says the board will have full waypoint capabilities before the end of july.
The variometer is only based on GPS readings. A GPS is pretty accurate on relative vertical movement, but not absolute.
As said, there is no AHI. Optional sensors has not been announced, and will most probably never be.

#11 Blue Sky

Blue Sky

RC-Cam'er

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

-Dave

#12 Aerial Platform

Aerial Platform

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:53 AM

Well, I put one on order. What the heck? I love my Inspire but it's too big for the Easy Star. This should work out pretty cool, I hope. I'll have to waite to try it out though, I'm out of country for a few more months.

#13 apocza

apocza

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:29 AM

Hi guys,

Im new to all of this...and would just to make sure about something. If I want to put a video cam on my plane, all I would need is this kit:

http://rangevideo.co...;products_id=98

Is that correct? I dont see it coming with a battery so probably haveto add that myself, but is that all? I have a JR 2.4GHZ radio...should be compatible, right?
I see the 2.4ghz system with 1000mW is not compatible with 2.4ghz radios? Is that just because of the same frequency being used to fly the plane? Which will have greater range?

Thanks for any advice,

Bye

#14 headhunter23

headhunter23

RC-Cam Mentor

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

apcoza the kit your talking about will work fine. For most of the fpv'rs here they generally add an extra battery to power the onboard tx and camera although you can use the voltage step down from rangevideo to power your video system off your battery. Which is what I've been doing for my one plane. Works fine.

http://www.rangevide...5d87080667642d4

If you've already got the 2.4ghz system your in the same boat although from what I've been reading the futaba 9c 72mhz radio system seems to be the best for long distance. But it's still a good starting point as you won't have to worry about glitching. I would personally get the .5watt system, little lighter, less power consumption, doesn't get as hot as the 1w and works just as well for the range your expecting with your remote, also look at "goof proof" antenna for the receiver. It's a do it yourself antenna care o rc-cam.com.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23, 11 July 2008 - 06:28 AM.

#15 apocza

apocza

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes that adapter would make sense! Thanks for the tip. Yes I think ill order the 500mW system, I would eventually want longer range but if my limit right now is my radio, no point in going overboard on range, ill just be able to watch it fly to its death :)

Are there products to boost radio reception too?

Cant wait to get this setup and fly my plane around the neighbourhood :D

#16 headhunter23

headhunter23

RC-Cam Mentor

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

Boost reception of which, the receiver in the airplane or the video receiver? Video receiver just needs a better antenna(your ground station). As for receiver on airplane, sometimes you can change antenna but for the 2.4ghz I don't think there are too many out there yet(or if possible, not possible so far with spektrum receivers or I haven't come across it yet). When I was researching on how to increase airplane control range it came down to changing antenna on the remote to 5-6dbi from the 3 dbi and adding an amp to the signal. Neither of which I have done, still contemplating on just getting an extra futaba radio so I can get the headtracker function and longer range, seems to be more mods and the lower the frequency seems to actually increase the range. Although someone just figured out a way to get the headtracker function to work with spektrum dx7 so still thinking which way to go.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23, 11 July 2008 - 08:26 AM.

#17 apocza

apocza

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

I mean increase the range on the radio itself, in my case the JR 2610...hmm ok Ill look around and see what people are doing. Long range is what I want ;)

Oops ! I dont have a 2.4GHZ radio...i dont know what mine is...its a JR 2610..System should still work though, rigth? The 900mhz 500mw kit?

Edited by apocza, 11 July 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#18 headhunter23

headhunter23

RC-Cam Mentor

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

the video stuff will work fine, if your radio isn't 2.4ghz then more than likely it's 72mhz then.

Ivan.

#19 W3FJW-Ron

W3FJW-Ron

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:R/C in general, Amateur Radio, N ga Trains, RVing and fishing...

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

There are 2.4ghz transmitter modules available for certain JR transmitters...
Ron

#20 apocza

apocza

RC-Cam Visitor

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Ill have a look. Is there any recommended receiver for the plane for longish range? I've ordered the range video kit, but in the meantime want to get an electric glider for flight duration. Any suggestions or tips welcome!

Thanks