I have started prototyping a new shield for my personal use, but am considering building it in a few short runs if anyone is interested.
THIS will replace your RC remote, and your receiver. It will give you much longer range, the ability to configure it, detailed sensor information, and the ability to use a small PS3 controller instead of the big bulky and heavy RC remote. It will consist of a remote board that goes in the air-chassis, and a board that will go in a ground-station.
There are two boards per kit - a BASE(command) and a REMOTE(uav). The boards are Identical - but are populated differently based on their desired purpose.
BOTH the Base and Remote interface to the ARDUINO MEGA style boards and have...
- DNT900 long range telemetry radio which offers up to 40km range with proper antenna's - with a data rate of 115200k! If you are interested in slightly less range, you can crank the baud rate up to a fast 500k!
- RGB status LED(s) for feedback
- External interface connector that allows you to send +5v, GND, Serial TX/RX, 2 analog IN's, 2 PWM OUTS, and 4 digital I/O's to any other devices (gps, imu, other sensors)
- 8 Dedicated & powered connections for servo's (servos! and esc's!)
- Power input connection for easy interface to a BEC to power it (no more than 5.2 volts absolute max in)
- U.FL -> SMA to interface standard antenna's to the radio module
The BASE has... PS3 CONTROLLER! (whoops, spoiler!)
- USB port on it which will allow for a completely new kind of control! a PS3 controller can now be used to control your long range UAV! it is a fantastic interface because the 10 buttons on it are all pressure sensitive and will read out a value between 0-255. There are three buttons with boolean output, two triggers with pressure sensitivity, and two thumb joysticks! There is also two adjustable output RuMbLe motors (high/low), and 4 LED's that can be used for feedback.
(My code is based off the fantastic work at http://www.circuitsathome.com/)
The REMOTE has...
- video switching, so up to two camera's can be interfaced with this board, and you can remotely switch which camera is being broadcast by your video system!! typically, I for-see a tilt compensated flight camera, and a camera pointed strait down for observation. Then they can be alternated via the SELECT button on the PS3 controllers!
- Pressure/Temperature monitoring on I2C
- (the external connection ports are for you to interface your own IMU and GPS to the board - everyone has their own preference!)
- (the 8 servo connections will allow for servo's or esc's!)
CODE will be open source - much of it is adapted from other open source projects, and credit is given in my code.
PRICE is not set. Once I receive my prototype boards and test them I will be better equipped to list the price. As a complete solution, it will cost less than two of digi's Xtend radios (at 380 per pair)
please let me know who's interested! 4 prototype boards have been ordered, and I will post pics when available
((remnants of my proof of concept))
THE MAIN SITE IS
Edited by awjennin, 28 November 2011 - 08:16 AM.