#22 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • Interests:R/C video and photography.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Kilrah, Is this the one http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8538 you had in mind at the Glyn site?

The uOLED's demo video looks outstanding; It's going to be a very cool project.
- Thomas

#23 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Modelling, electronics, computers

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

I just tried the OLED in different conditions - unfortunately it seems it won't be a good candidate for this. The display is great to the naked eye even in sunlight, but it's a passive matrix that is driven line-by-line and it messes up with the camera's variable shutter speed like a CRT would. Too bad, because brightness would be sufficient if it wasn't for this...
In low light where the camera uses a slow shutter speed there's no problem, but the more ambient light there is the more "strobe effect" you get.

#24 galaxiex

galaxiex

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Rats....

#25 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Rats....

It may be a blessing in disguise. The nice thing about using a simpler display (text only) is that the required software will be much easier for a beginner to create. So perhaps it is best to hold off on the thoughts of a fancy graphics display until you have a basic text-only LCD working. Baby steps as they say.
- Thomas

#26 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yes and no, because these display modules integrate a pretty powerful processor that does all the low level stuff. It has simple commands to draw graphics, integrates default fonts that can be replaced by simply importing any standard font from a PC, you can take a video file, convert/load it onto a MicroSD card you plug into the module and then display it with a simple serial command, etc...

#27 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Yes and no, because these display modules integrate a pretty powerful processor that does all the low level stuff.

Ahh, but all those built-in graphic/library features seem easy to experienced programmers. On the other hand, to a beginner programmer even the "easy" is not so easy. :) That's why I commented that a basic text-only display may be a better fit for now. But if you or others will be helping him integrate something more advanced then that would be very cool.
- Thomas

#28 galaxiex

galaxiex

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

The fancy display would be cool... could make a neat "analog" looking "speed-o-meter"......but I'm inclined to agree with Mr.RC-Cam.
The simple 2 line display will likely be easier for me to muck around with at first.
Don't forget, I'm a complete noob at arduino... I just got my arduino beginner books in the mail last night...

#29 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Have you made any headway? If not, then the first thing to do is to create an Arduino "Hello World" program that simply blinks an LED. There's example programs to do that and it's a good place to start.
- Thomas

#30 galaxiex

galaxiex

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

Still waiting for my stuff to show up.... EagleTree sensor came... but nothing else yet...

I seem to be having an issue with my postal service and/or letter carrier... there is some kind of "attitude" going on....
My letter carrier left me a nasty note about clearing the snow from my walk... which I do...
But I'm the only one living here... and if it snows heavy during the day while I'm at work... like it did the other day....there is not much I can do 'til I get home...
Besides, our city bylaw states that I have 48 hours AFTER the snowfall STOPS, to get the walks cleared.

Some of my mail "may" be getting sent to the wrong place/address, for some stupid reason...
...and I already had a camera I ordered, get "lost in the mail"...
The package required a signature... but 3 days after I opened an investigation with the post office... the package mysteriously appeared on my doorstep on a Saturday.
I was home but no-one knocked on the door??? Very strange... since a sig was required.
Asking at the post office where I pick up my mail... the tracking # showed that no-one ever signed for that package...
@#%$#$&%$ government union employees....

Aside from that...
Got the Arduino books, and have been reading/studying... but really need the Arduino board to get here....

#31 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

Got the Arduino books, and have been reading/studying... but really need the Arduino board to get here....

The books are great but things will really start to click after you've blinked your first LED. So keep the walkway clear of snow. :)
- Thomas

#32 galaxiex

galaxiex

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Walks are cleared... ;) .... and the weather is warming up... so the big melt is on...

I have downloaded the IDE and played with it a bit... but can't do much without the board...
It'll get here soon... I hope...

#33 galaxiex

galaxiex

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Ok, I found this thread... http://www.rcgroups....ad.php?t=914198
His dashboard is much more complex than what I want...

...but I like the idea of using a servo to drive a pointer on a gauge dial.
Much easier to read at a glance than a digital display.

#34 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

I like the idea of using a servo to drive a pointer on a gauge dial.
Much easier to read at a glance than a digital display.

No problem, the Arduino can generate accurate servo pulses. So you can still use the hardware you have purchased.
- Thomas

#35 galaxiex

galaxiex

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Well I offically have too many hobbies.... :rolleyes: ...a bit off topic here... but thought I'd post anyway incase anyone is wondering what's happening with this...

I have all the parts I need to start this project...

....but one of the other things I do is play guitar in a band....
....and since we have a gig coming up...
....I've been doing nothing but practice/rehearse.

I also got the RockSmith guitar game and let me tell you.... what an addictive thing that is!

RockSmith lets you plug in a real guitar to your game console, or a PC, and is VERY fun/educational.
Someone that has never played guitar before can actually learn guitar with this game.

Even many pro's like it. :D

Sorry for the OT and plug for RockSmith... BTW I am NOT affiliated with UbiSoft or RockSmith in any way.
Just an enthusiastic user of the game. :D

http://rocksmith.ubi...home/index.aspx

I will get back to this airspeed project at some point... but right now there are other priorities... ;)

#36 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

@ galaxiex
Here is a discussion about a very low cost ($16) OLED display that may be useful to your project:
http://www.multiwii.....php?f=7&t=1350
The best part is that the project discussed there was created on a Arduino CPU. So you will have plenty of sample code to re-use.

@Kilrah
There's a video of it in the link above. So you can see its scan behavior with a camera. Do you think it will be Ok for FPV? If there is sufficient code space remaining on the GPS-Hub project I think I may try to add this display to it. I won't know if it is possible until after all the other hub features are finished.

@everyone
Demo videos from the vendor's eBay page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3qgpd8llJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9dfaHJKfxc
- Thomas

#37 galaxiex

galaxiex

RC-Cam'er

• Trusted Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Mr.RC-Cam, Thanks much for that! :)
I will order one of those displays.

I haven't forgotten about this project... but I just don't have time to work on it right now.

#38 Kilrah

Kilrah

RC-Cam Mentor

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

@Kilrah
There's a video of it in the link above. So you can see its scan behavior with a camera. Do you think it will be Ok for FPV? If there is sufficient code space remaining on the GPS-Hub project I think I may try to add this display to it. I won't know if it is possible until after all the other hub features are finished.

It's the same series, and also a passive matrix, so I'd expect the same behavior as on mine. You can actually see right at the end of the video that there is some flicker when the entire display is turned on. As it's in low light it's OK, so was mine, but when the camera increases shutter speed because of more ambient light the same effect would likely appear.

#39 Mr.RC-Cam

Mr.RC-Cam

RC-Cam Mentor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I saw the flicker too but I remain hopeful it isn't too obnoxious. I suppose the only way to know how it behaves in all lighting conditions will be to roll up my sleeves and try it. So I'll get one and do some testing as time permits.

I'll ask the fellow in the link to make more videos but I don't want to wear out my welcome. :)
- Thomas