buckwheatsf

PCM vs PPM, FS8 Copilot, glitching

Hi, I'm a new poster and I apologize if this has been discussed in another thread - if so, please direct me there. the search engine won't let me search for a 3-char keyword like FS8 or PCM.

I have built a few successful wireless video-equipped RC robots for ground and water use. (I call them 'robots' because they aren't meant to perform like trucks or boats - they are built simply to gather video in places where humans can't go.) I stopped using PPM receivers in my robots because of the glitching.

I'm about to venture into the air with an electric helicopter. I'm learning to fly on a little micro copter, and I have a good simulator, but of course I know how difficult copters are to fly. When I build up the courage, the robot is going to be a very heavy Ikarus 16 designed to stay in the air for only about 3 minutes. Unlikely that the copter will ever get more than about 100 meters away from me. Intentionally, that is! :D

Because of my lack of experience, I would like to use the FS8 CoPilot. However, I see that the FS8 requires FMA's special Rx, which is PPM. I'm worried about glitching.

Has anyone had good, or bad, experiences with the FS8 and wireless video? Do gassers work better than electric copters for this purpose? What if I replaced the wirelss video with a camcorder (assuming I can lift the weight) and removbed the wireless analog signal from the mix?

Appreciate all comments and suggestions, even if it's simply "you're mad, give it up!"

Steve

I would like to use the FS8 CoPilot. However, I see that the FS8 requires FMA's special Rx, which is PPM. I'm worried about glitching.

Why not use the original CoPilot? It accepts PCM Rx's, but will require the special "buffer" they recommend.

Thanks for responding!

My understanding is -- the Ikarus Eco 16 can be set up with a mechanical mixer, in which case the older CoPilot (CDP4) would work. But the one I have, assembled, is set up for a computer-controlled mixer, making this copter CCPM, which means the older version of FMA Copilot won't work.

I could rebuild the copter with a mechanical mixer, and the old CDP4 would work. But do I want to do that? Will a novice have trouble setting up the mechanical mixer?

Thanks!

Will a novice have trouble setting up the mechanical mixer?

Generally not. But it would be silly to yank out the CCPM and install all the "legacy" pushrods and bellcranks.

Why not use an add on ccpm that plugs in to your rx.

Just for the record I hate PCM, I lost a few to the rx's going into failsafe and refusing to come out :(

Im a PPM lover as long as I have pulse processing and a failsafe

Terry :)

Thanks for the input!

Have no idea what an "add-on CCPM" is.

I think I can simplify my question: is anyone using a wireless video camera on an electric copter equipped with the FS8 copilot? If so, how does it work for you? and are you using a Futaba or JR Tx?

Thanks!

I believe CenTexFlyer has some experience with the FS8 and video Tx's. He can be found here on occasion, but spends most of his time over at the rc-groups.com forum.

An add on CCPM mixer is just like an V tail mixer but for CCPM, you can get them from most model heli shops.

Terry

Terry, I appreciate the help! I am taking to heart your concerns about PCM failsafe. Of course, PCM vs. PPM is a completely different topic and one that has been debated thoroughly in other threads.

I'm such a novice though, I still don't understand. Whether the CCPM is done by the computer radio or an external device - either way it seems that I still need an FS8 copilot instead of a CDP4 copilot?

But I have a lot of practice flying to do before I take a camera up in the bird anyway, and I have all winter to work this out. There is a mind-boggling wealth of information on this message board, and I can see that half the battle will be learning the jargon.

Thanks!

Steve

RC Direct has a stabilizer that will do eccpm. It will also do FM or PCM. It does not come with the sensor, but is compatable with FMA's FS8 and CDP4 sensor. The FMA sensor is available seperatly from FMA.

Here is the RC-Direct product page:

http://www.spartan-rc.com/catalog/index.ph...hp?currency=USD

If you are still looking for a solution, then perhaps General Laser's stabilizer will work for you. It will handle CCPM from what I understand. It's not as low cost as the FMA stabilizer though. Beyond that, I know nothing about it. More info http://members.chello.at/general-laser/webshop/en/