Sign in to follow this  
camcam

Equipment choices

Hello all, I've taken an intrest in setting up an on board video system for my park flyer. I really had no clue there was this great an intrest in this stuff until I found this forum this week and I have since read just about everything here and followed most of the links refered to in posts. I feel I'm not totally clueless at this point, but I do have many questions. First, is there anyone here who prefers a 1.2Ghz system over the 2.4? Seems I've heard that the 2.4 is very crowded these days in the States.

Prior to finding any real info, I had purchased a Hong Kong cheapie 1.2 (???), and although I now have my sights set on building a CCD based system I figure I may as well play with what I've got and learn as much from it as I can. In addition to a patch antennea for the receiver, what are the best things I can do with either the Tx or Rx to improve range and preserve image quality and signal reliability?

I understand that most of these cheap so called 1.2 systems are really in the 1.16 range and not legal. I recently found one that claims to be 1.5GHz. I don't know anything about radio frequencies, can anyone tell me anything about 1.5, what is it designated for, and is this system illeagal too?

I'll have more questions to come about powering a camera and Tx that are different voltages later when I start my CCD system, but I don't want to get ahead of myself just yet. :D

Wow thats a lot to digest! So correct me if I'm wrong, according to that data even a true 1.2GHz is still an aviation frequency, and would need to be at least 1.240GHz to be legal for amature use. Looks like 1.5GHz is also an aviation frequency.

Still want to see what I can learn from this one though for now. I'm not above hacking and soldering, I love to tinker.

OK, that gives me something study for a while. Now back to my cheapie, I'm assuming that about all I can do is add a patch for the Rx and a good 12v power source, and a DC/DC coverter with a lipo pack and altered antennea for the Tx. Would this likely keep me in buisness withinin the range of my park flyer?

Excuse me.

The frequency you are using is not legal for use in the United States. It should occur to you that you might not get a lot of solid eager help from people who think you should follow the rules.

Get rid of the 1.2 Ghz equipment. Get an Amatuer Technician license. Then get legal gear. IMO That's what you should do to start.

Dan