mikep

Looking for Developpers

I was wondering if there would be enough people that would be interested in getting together to design and make a complete UAV system including ground station software etc.

I know there are a few already developping similar projects for profit, but I am hoping to get one together under the GPL.

The autopilot project on Source Forge is a great example of what I would like to do.

However I would like to keep it a bit simpler. Their goal is to have a UAV Heli. They have reached the point of it flying for short periods of time all by its lonesome, but if you have ever tried to follow that project it is quite advanced.

I would like to have something a bit simpler used for planes.

The type of people needed for what I'm thinking would be :

Electronics Engineer

Pic Programer

C++ Programmer

Tech Writer

Web Designer

Test Pilots (people willing to build the project as we go along and give feedback)

Personally I have sunk quite a few thousand dollars so far into my equipment for AUV/RPV flight. The worst part of that is the amount of equipment that I have upgraded or never really used because it did not perform well. I personally believe we could design a complete system for under $1000.00 that could be easily built by anyone. And the best part of it, if we succede the project could be ever evolving from new people willing to contribute.

This would also cover that great question, I want to build a UAV where do I start?

So, if people are intereted either respond here or send me an e-mail through this system.

The first step would simply be a definition document. Probably the hardest part to agree upon! :-)

Cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike,

It's a great idea. I'd like to have an integrated UAV platform but my interests are geared more toward FPV flight rather than truly autonomous flight. I only consider UAV capability as a safety system that can back pilot up when things go sour. I'd rather push forward with convenient/reliable diversity video system and develop fast telemetry and onscreen display of data and artificial horizon similar to military HUDs. I'd be interested in doing flight testing and system integration work. There is enough talent on this board to do many things but as you said making everybody agree on what should be done and than committing to that agreement is going to be the toughest part imho.

Regards,

Val.

Many of the systems are similar in both UAV/RPV. The best would be to have a open, common communications system with the plane and the ground.

Then have modules that plug into that system.

A module should be able to either listen to what other modules are saying through the mother module or it can speak to the "Mother" module which will cue it's messsage to broadcast to all the others.

I'm basically thinking about a system that is similar to the autopilot on my boat which was made by Ratheon. You could plug in many sensors or few sensors. Depending what sensors you had, it would enable certain features. For instance if you had a wind vane you could have the boat sail in a specific direction to the wind. If not you could only go to a specific waypoint or route.

On to other stuff....

I'm with you 100% of the way when it comes to the HUD system.

I haven't followed the project that was started by someone here for the HUD. I'll have to go through my favourites and see if I can track him down again.

I have seen some of his posts in the autopilot project on Source Forge.

As for your diversity system, I keep saying one day I will work through that napkin that you scribbled the schematic on and build it! ;-)

It's a great thing to have!

Let's hope we get some people onto this bandwagon!

Mike

I had a bit of time before getting my day started this morning and jotted this down quickly on the laptop during breakfast.

Just a quick idea of what the system could be like.

See attached diagram.

I also found an aviation engineer that would like to be part of the project.

I will hit some of the development message boards and try and do some recruiting.

I also applied for some space on Source Forge which might help to recruit some people.

Cheers,

Mike

post-6-1067435511_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikep

I agree with your diagram. Rick from www.tsg1.com is trying to build onboard graphic processor to draw HUD with artificial horizon. PC based HUD may be not as reliable but easier to implement. What do you suggest to use to overlay HUD with incoming video stream?

Regards,

Val.

This is what I'm using.

http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt-3170.htm

It works very well.

I would like to figure out how to make a "foot" remote switch for it though. Probably not hard since it already has an IR remote.

It's made by these guys in Taiwan http://www.cypress.com.tw/

I'm just putting the URL here because they have all kinds of cool video devices.

Also while looking for some code for the FSK modem someone on a mail list turned me on to this site: http://www.glitchbuster.com

I thought I would pass it on, they have a very limited amount of stock, but some very useful stuff at really good prices.

What sent me there was this, I was looking for that IC but could not find it....

MX614 Modem IC - Now in Stock!

I've had several requests for this highly-regarded modem IC from MX-COM, which is popular for amateur radio projects like packet modems and other data communication chores. The required 3.579545 MHz "colorburst" crystals are also in stock - see the "Crystals and Resonators" listing in the Components and Products section below. The discount price for the MX614P (DIP package) is only 6.98 and shipping is just 1.85 in the US for any order (unless it contains heavy/bulky items like "wall warts" or cables). There was a nice MX614 article in the January 2000 issue of QST, and an online copy is here: Updating the TCM3510 with the MX614 Packet Modem Note: this is a 200k pdf file - you may want to right-click the link and download the file to your hard drive instead of viewing it directly online.

Edited by mikep

Good news....

Source Forge has accepted the project. I will start building the site next week. The URL is http://rcpilot.sourceforge.net/

I've been spreading the word around quite a bit in different forums, and have been getting a few responses from people that might want to contribute.

And the talent that is responding is quite impressive.

I got an e-mail from uav-fun about his ground station software, and he is busy with college and will not be working on it until next summer. So I e-mailed the author of UI-View (a great APRS package) to see if he might want to contribute to the project. He basically already has everything it takes to do it in UI-View so he is a perfect candidate. I will let you know what happends when I get a response.

I also approached someone I know from my local club that design electric airframes. He has done some extremely impressive work in the past both with his University and alone. I asked him if he would be willing to design an airframe for this project.

He has quite a few projects going, as well as a busy schedule with his job (works on full scale flight simulator), but I'm hopefull.

I'm thinking electric is the way to go. For one it gives you all the power you need for the systems since these things usually carry 24-30 cells on them.

Second it allows you to easily stop the motor for photos etc. Vibration is considerably reduced as well. It will not be a requirement to follow for the project, but I though it would be a nice extra to have.

Val, can I put you down for the diversity system?

Also your site has been down lately. What's up?

Mike

can I put you down for the diversity system?

Sure, this may finally force me to redraw the circuit on a nicer piece of paper.

My diversity system works very well. I improve it here and there sometimes but nothing major.

I am actually more interested in building FSK modem at the moment. MX614 IC is probably not going to work as it is only 1200 bds. I'd have to do more homework on that subject.

Regards,

Val.

I've has a few more responses to a question I asked about modem chips and will forward them to you tomorrow.

Randy at Glitchbusters is currently looking into the CMX469A modem chip (4800 baud). No promises, but he is at least trying.

Does anyone know the bandwidth available on the audio channels of the Fels TX?

I'm trying to get an idea on what the theoretical maximum throughput we can get out of them is.

Cheers.

Mike

Off to answer the trick or treaters!