Terry

2.4ghz Airwave modules

Ive got a 2.4gh video TX module made by Airwave that needs the channel switches and voltage regulator added. Has anyone come up with a board to do this ? The pitch of the pins on the board seem to be about 1.1mm which makes it a bit fiddley.

Terry

Hi Terry.

If we are talking about the original Airwave Tx's from H.K. I have a prototype board.If we are talking about the same thing I could send you a bare board,with the 12 way smd connector.As I live in S.Wales the postage should be next to nothing.

Let me know.

Yes that sounds like it, its the AWM610 module. Do you have a picture of your board I could see ?

Thanks, Terry

Sorry Terry I took a couple of photo's and made the mistake of using 'Nero' to import to my PC, Nero must have it's own format.

I will try again as soon as.

Thanks for your patience.

Lyn.

Thanks Lyn, that is the module but your PCB but it is a bit big as I have already soldered the aerial connector to the module and your PCB will not fit. I will make my own for now with just the basics to work the module and some pads to make soldering the leads a bit easier.

Also thanks to Crash Pilot 1, yes those conectors are good, I will get some to play with.

Terry

I've made something like this if it interests you.

Includes DIPs and 12V -> 5V DC-DC.

post-6-1138192600_thumb.jpg

Ahh, looks a bit like the one I just drew up, the dip switch is even in the same place !

Looks like you went for a switch mode supply where as I went for a standard regulator. Why are they not availible from the suppliers ? Im sure they would sell lots and it may even help them sell more modules.

Terry

I bet they don't really bother... When you see the price of the asian-made RF modules it would look a bit ridiculous to offer power supplies that would nearly be the same price when made around here... :unsure:

The switching reg IC I used costs like $10 by itself at detail quantities... Add PCB, connectors, a few components...

What battery are you going to use? I needed 12V because of the camera... And also what module?

I have the 500mW version, which draws about 500mA on 5V... A quick calculation will show that you wouldn't be able to use a linear reg without adding a heat sink that is twice the size of the whole thing ;)

Not to mention that it would anyway be of no use mounted in foam inside a plane :huh:

I will use 3 lipos unless I find a 5v camera. Im only using the 100mW version.

Terry

I have seen those Tx modules with attatched boards showcase by Asian suppliers. Though likely can only be had in quantity. Here is one of the places I have seen them.

http://comtech.manufacturer.globalsources....-GetProduct.htm

http://comtech.myweb.hinet.net/

I have also seen them seperate from the modules. But I don''t have a link for them. Can't recall where I've seen them.

I too have couple of those modules, and I like the way you fellows have put together your boards.

Alfred

Hi.

What you can't see in the image I posted a few back, is 90% of the back board copper is given over to the heat removal for the L78S05 Linear regulator.But at less than £1.00 each I can live with that. I point you in the direction of Cyber flyer's hele. where his Tx is mounted on an external boom. Mine is on TOP of the wing, how much cooling do you want!!!

Lyn.

If more people want to use the airwave module, I've already drawn up the circuit board to use 2-4 of the receivers for a diversity design. I just need a good transmitter board design so I can sell the transmitters as well.

Matt Klarich

I just finished testing the TX and it works fine. The regulator runs hot but not too hot, it would be no good for the 500mW module though.

Terry

post-6-1138232557_thumb.jpg

On a practical note Terry how do you plan to mount your board to your airframe, and achieve adequate airflow for your regulator.

Lyn.

I tried using a linear reg before having my switching one (just to try the module), but it was running at ~110°C in free air, the whole PCB and TX case being used as heat sink.

I like to have my setups looking nice as far as possible, with the camera outside and the rest of the stuff hidden inside. Add to this a power consumption reduced by half, and you understand why I went for a switching reg ;)

This is just for a bit of fun to mount to various planes and do a bit of receiver aerial testing so the TX will be servo taped to a bit of PCB board with the camera glued on also. The board will then velcro to the airframes and the battery remain separate so it can be put in the best place for the plane.

Terry

Hi.

Kilrah, I have shyed away from switching regulators, I was more than a little concerned regarding EM Interference. In your experience is this a genuine concern for you ?

Lyn.

I was going to ask the same thing. I have had problems with EMI using step up switches but not on the step down LM2675-12. Are you by any chance using the LM2675-5.0 ?

Im also interested to know which inductor you are using ?

Thanks, Terry

Are you by any chance using the LM2675-5.0 ?

Erm... yes :D

I've actually done nothing but copy the recommended circuit from the datasheet. Regarding the inductor, I just chose the first 47uH SMD one with a nice footprint I could find in the local dealer's catalogue...

But it works quite well, I do get some diagonal lines on the picture at startup, but they disappear quickly once everything reaches operating temp.

There's just a little issue with the diode, even that I chose a fast one designed for switching regs it must still be a little slow because it gets quite hot.

Here's a little example transmitted with that TX, with a different subject for once ;)

The RX isn't the one that came with though, because for whatever reason it has awful sensitivity... some defect maybe. I've made a PCB for it too, but finally didn't bother as I had other very good receivers using the same channels.

http://rc-tech.webstockage.com/Divers/parachute.wmv

Initial distance is 4kms. The dropouts in the middle are due to my stupid self pointing the 14dBi panel around 90° off the correct direction <_<

post-6-1138314774_thumb.jpg

Ive just been testing a 500mW unit but it runs very hot, do I need cooling to the module ?

Terry

No, never had problems with this, mine has the DC-DC attched to it and everything is in shrink-tubing.

Just be sure you don't pack it in 2cm thick foam ;)