Sign in to follow this  
bjamesw

gp patch for wifi use?

I did look, but did not find an unequivocal answer to this. I'm looking all over the web for a decent panel antenna template for 2.4ghz wifi and oddly enough, there is almost

nothing in wifi computer forums. I finally find the GP Patch in the RC community, but with little comment on it's use for wifi. Any reason why this would not work?

Well, I did ask you not to equivocate didn't I? Thank you Terry.

I wonder if y'all might lend another bit of expertise? When antennas are similarly rated - let's say 8dbi - are range and directivity pretty much trade-offs? I mean, panel/patch vs omni, both rated at 8dbi; the omni illuminates something approximating a doughnut and the panel illuminates something like a flashlight beam. If the omni doughnut reaches, just for the sake of illustration, points five hundred feet from the antenna, will the panel beam reach significantly farther at the price of having to aim it?

Ok, one more question since I've interrupted dinner here. I'd like to use something easy to work with and FLAT for the elements of the GP patch. Any reason why I couldn't use pcb as long as I got the distance between the antenna and ground plane precise (taking the board thickness into account)?

Thanks very much again.

8dbi is 8dbi nomatter which aerial you use, it all depends on what you need. An omni sounds great but remember it will pick up signals from all directions so may loose your target in the noise. Also you must remember to check how wide the beam is verticaly, it will probably be a lot thinner than the patch beam.

Im no expert on the GPP but its best to keep thing as close to the plan as possable, pcb DOSE effect the frequencys we are talking about. Im sure it can be used but the gap may need to be changed to get working perfectly.

Terry

Any reason why I couldn't use pcb as long as I got the distance between the antenna and ground plane precise (taking the board thickness into account)?

With PCB material, the dieletric constant is much different, which totally changes the element dimensions. Generally it will require smaller dimensions, which reduces the antenna gain. For sure, you should not use the GP patch plans to build a PCB version.