wakewatcher

Flag pole camera stablizer

Sorry for being off topic but I've flown R/C for 30 years so I hope gives me some forgiveness. (and what I need is similar for the R/C heli camera applications.)

Anyway I need to build a flag pole camera that gets swaying a bit in the wind. I need so be able to keep it level. I've planned on using my excess R/C gear and have been considering a few different options but would appreciate some thoughts.

First of all I need to support a 3 pound camera in a pan/tilt configuration. For a start I've bought a couple of servo city power gear boxes. Are there any reasonably priced servo controlled pan/tilt platforms that could support a biggish camera?

I was thinking about using U-Nav's pico-tilt to keep the platform level. (but it is spendy.) I don't think I can use something like the FMA co-pilot as the flag pole can't see the horizon. Any other suggestions?

Also then when I found this great site I read about the PanCam. What a great item. I have bought a bescor pan/tilt motor but the pancam looks like the real ticket.

...but alas I can't even spell PIC. Is the PanCam commercially available someplace?

Thanks in advance. -steve-

I would forget servo's and just mount it to large gyroscope on gimbles.

Terry

PanCam is a DiY project. I don't know much about it, but this commerical device sounds similar: Visionlock

I'm up for new adventures. Is there a website or some such that tells me all I need to know about PIC burning, Pic burners etc? Or are there folks out there that have all the stuff and can burn me a couple of PICs? I can put it all together but it would nice not to have to turn a $20 project into a $200 project and a three month learning curve just now. Thanks.

No, it just requires some work. A freind of mine used it on a camera mounted on his boat. He used 2 gyroscopes as he wanted to damp the yaw as well but you wont get much of that with a flag pole :rolleyes:

No lag while the electronics move the servo's and no setting up.

Terry

Thanks. So where is a source for Gyros that can handle about 6 pounds of Camera and support gear? (Also my flag pole is moving from time to time. Actually using a pole to video Football games.) Can I get in contact with your friend?

'Thanks. So where is a source for Gyros that can handle about 6 pounds of Camera and support gear?'

I have no idea where he got the info from, I think it was just made up of what he could get his hands on and made it up as he went along. from memory ( this was about 8 years ago ) the flywheels were made of brass and were about 1/2" thick and 3" in diameter, they were spinning very fast but I have no idea how fast.

He would point the camera at a sail boat then switch on the gyros and the camera would stablise very quickly this removed any chance of a blurred picture even using a very long lens.

'Can I get in contact with your friend?'

Sorry even though I said friend he was more of a work mate, I left 8 years ago and have not seen him since.

It was not at all complicated though, Im sure you could build one if you have access to a machine shop it will be easy. I think you only need 1 wheel for yours.

Terry

Edited by Terry