Sign in to follow this  
Vrflyer

Bigger 2.4Ghz antenna

I received an antenna from Active robot (they sold also the airwaves module). The antenna is much longer than the antenna from Black Widows or Digikey.

post-2-1138984173_thumb.jpg

But look what I found when I opened the antenna, only the cover is long, the antenna inside is the same lenght than the other antenna. Also the antenna don't have a good connector, only a ring inside the connector for the ground, the antenna must be tighten. It can not resist any vibration, it must be use only on receiver.

post-2-1138984681_thumb.jpg

Also the sma connector don't have long thread, so it's not possible to mount it on a case and add a washer and a nut to add strenght.

post-2-1138984941_thumb.jpg

I ordered also two Transmiter(TX612) and one receiver(RX620). They are compatible with my Felsweb TX/RX. They work well.

All the prices are very low, and very fast delivery.

Yep, those are the units I bought recently from the same people, very good units, just a bit fiddly to connect.

That aerial looks just like some of the others I have cut out of their plastic covers. I have found the aerial goes off tune a fraction when the cover is removed, also when you put heat shrink back on, I trim them when covered now :)

Terry

No thats not just a wire, it has a metal tube that is connected to the screen and goes downwards to make a dipole.

Terry

I've seen a few of these 'supposed' higher sensitivity antennas's sold as higher gain 1/2 wave's when in fact they just longer plastic mouldings, with a 1/4 wave dipole.

I've been messing with receiver dipole antenna's swopping the 1/4 wave for a 1/2 wave dipole makes heaps of difference to the receiver sensitivity. A recent simple walk test validated this: 1/4 wave gave about 80 metres.. 1/2 wave gave about 150 metres (TX was on my workbench in house, so not as good as line-of-sight)

Try modding that small whip (probably 29mm) to 62mm (Ch 1) or 60.77mm (Ch 4) and retest.

Stevie

I tried the same thing some time back but I found no improvment at all. If it had worked out better I was going to make a 1/2 wave patch but I gave up the idea. Has anyone else had any luck with this ?

Terry