Hello,

I just tried a trial run with this camera from Helidirect

http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php...products_id=795

You can see my initial results at

http://www.thingelstad.com/DotText/archive...02/12/1549.aspx

I'm not very pleased with them, but this was also just a "slap it on and see" first run. I think that not having the camera hard mounted (just strapped it on) caused a lot of problems. But before I dive in really far, I wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this very cheap ($50) camera rig? Does it even work?

I'd love to see something as nice as RC-CAM4...

From the photo on the website it looks like you have one of these sets that have a tuning knob on the receiver. That's because the transmitter's frequency is pretty unstable.. and usually set by a simple coil. That coil will move with vibrations, which will change the frequency all the time. That's certainly why you lose link once you get enough rpm.

There are many sets that are only a little more expensive but use a PLL-controlled TX. They can be recognised by the receiver that has fixed channels with a switch to choose the one you want. These are much less likely to be disturbed. Then the vibrations will limit their effect on the unsteady image, which will appear distorted with a CMOS camera.

Thanks much for the reply! Rather annoying that helicopter places are selling a camera that is essentially guaranteed to not work on a helicopter. You are right that it has a knob.

To confirm, these Booster Vision cameras appear to have the PLL stuff

http://www.boosterworks.com/cart/scripts/p...sp?idProduct=77

should be good?

And tangential question. I'm using a Spektrum DX6 controller at 2.4Ghz, and these cams operate at 2.4Ghz. Anyone know if this will cause a problem?

That boosterworks cam setup looks ok but as it runs from a small 9v battery I would guess the output from the transmitter will be low.

From what I hear the DX6 may well cause problems with your video link.

Terry

I have one of these cam 1.2Ghz. The cmos cam is cheap, but you can open the cam and separate the cmos cam and the 1.2Ghz Tx easily. Last September, I used this Tx and a ccd cam from black widows on a skyrobo helicopter with success. I used my big screen tv for RPV flght inside my house, but it was very hard to fly under FPV, not relax at all. I hit wall etc... Too much turbulence due to wind reflecting everywhere. I tried outside but a little breeze and it's not controllable. I used 105 deg lens. I used also the helicopter battery with a 5V reg. to power th cam/tx (yes, only 5V for the tx). The knob on the receiver must be turn sometimes to kept tunning, let the receiver warm, it will help. But this caused also by the tx, when the battery is discharging, the voltage drop at the tx, so the tunning change. With a regulator at the tx, the stable voltage at the tx/cam with help a lot.

I'm surprised by the range with this tiny tx, very good for a 10 mW.

I think your interference are cause by the connectors, you said you used a 9v battery and probably a cheap 9v battery connector, and perhaps also other connectors are present. The only connector on my helicopter was the 7.2V lithium battery connector.

I can explain step by step how to proceed if you want.

P.S. Kilrah, I send you two e-mail, do you received them?

I guess you might have problems with your DX6. Interference on video should be OK as it uses a fixed channel, if it's far enough from the video one it should work.

But where I'm more doubtful is wuth your R/C RX. Even if the frequency is different, having a transmitter blasting right next to it in the same band might overwhelm it.

I've recently tried using a Bluetooth GPS and a mobile phone inside a plane, a camera filming the phone's screen that runs a mapping program, but bluetooth communication won't work with the 10mW TX in the vicinity. If you try in your room with 1m distance between it's OK, but with 10cms it doesn't work. So now as I had put 4 cameras on the plane, with 4 TX on different channel that was obviously not better :)