Sign in to follow this  
helipilot

Swann "Black Hawk" wireless video system

Hello,

This is my first posting here and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the Swann "Black Hawk" video system? It looks to be very nice as it is compact and includes built in battery. The only thing I do not like about it is the CMOS camera, but for the price, looks good.

Thanks!

What I can say is that if they are the original ones (there are clones and copies...) you can trust the RF link. At least the Video Pod seems OK. You'll be deceived by the CMOS camera though, but there are solutions to this if you intend to do some hacking. Depending on the hardware version you might even be able to power a 5V CCD with the built-in supply. But it seems that the latest version unfortunately doesn't cope with it...

You may want to get the 8dBi antenna as well.

There still can be some differences, these are advertised as 2mW for the US and 10mW for Europe, but I frankly doubt they are making 2 versions...

I go with Kilrah, the 8dbi aerial would be a very good idea. As for 2mW I think its only good for close in work, indoor, park flyer or some heli stuff. 10 mW is a much better option if leagal where you are.

Terry

Good info!!! My intentions are to use the system on a Parkflyer around the house close in so I really don't need anything highpower. Micro Wireless told me the Video Pod is 1000 ft range line of sight out of the box. Now, is a 380 line ccd cam sharper image than a 380 line cmos?

Now, is a 380 line ccd cam sharper image than a 380 line cmos?

YES!!!!! :o

The stock CMOS is one of the worst cameras I've seen because the optics are bad too, and you can't have center and edges sharp at the same time, edges will always be blurry.

And, the best CCD I've seen (or nearly) and that I use most of the time is a 380 line ;)

Cool!!! That's all I needed to know. I have seen the video shot of the Video Pod on th eMicro Wirless website. It looks ok for the price. But, If I can get a CCD system that run's on 9v for a little more $, I will probably go for it. Im not afraid of hacking, that's what makes it so fun :D

Thanks!!!