arrio

Ocilloscope, what size Mhz?

I need some advice on selection of an Ocilloscope. I am getting into pic programming for rc projects and and have been concidering purchasing an Ocilloscope to help me with projects later down the road. eBay is where I have been looking for a good used one. But there are so many different Mhz ranges to choose from. :blink: For our applications, what would be the most usefull size? 20Mhz, 60Mhz, 100Mhz or more? I have seen several 20Mhz units that are nice later designs in the area of about $200 and then some 100-150Mhz in the $300-$500+ range. Perhaps I don't really need this right now, but I would like to know.

Thanks.

For PIC hobby projects, 20Mhz would appear to be all that you would need. However, there is more to it than that. It's all the extra features that usually come with a {quality built} higher bandwidth scope that make the difference. Frankly, I would prefer a 25 year old Tektronix 465B scope ($3.5K when new, $125 on eBay) over a modern 50Mhz hobby scope.

If you are buying used eBay test gear, or a new model from a dealer, be sure that it comes with good quality scope probes. If it is a used unit then a recent calibration sticker date would be a major plus and worth more $.

Thanks for that input. I was really leaning toward that very same type of scope. 100+ Mhz seems to be what I would need when concidering the facets of our RC RF (72Mhz) and other things.

Thanks again.

Hi, Arrio

Should I add a memory scope can be useful :) ???

a simple one like the Hameg 507 model will be the Rolls Royce of your lab ...

some "PC scopes" will be also be cheap enough to be considered.

as Mr Cam says ... great to buy from E-Bay !!!

But remember a scope is something very useful to see :P what's happening ... for precise measurements think you'll have to add a couple of bucks ( cursors ....etc ).

Or use others instruments.

Alain

Acetronics, Exactly that. I am looking at a couple "storage" type scopes on eBay at the moment. A local friend/cohort also advised me of the storage scopes. So, hopeing to find a good deal for one on eBay. Sadly, most of the scopes up for auction are without propes and sometimes without manuals too. Difficult to get one with everything.

Alfred

Hi, Arrio

As I remember I just opened the manual to have a look at the electronic scheme .... when a 317 failed !!!

For Probes, it's easy to get a good pair from your favourite shop at less than 50 bucks ... 30 possible.

Alain