mickelsen

Question about old project--RCST

I'm sorry to bring up such an old project. I know that I've seen questions and answers about using a 12F509 for the RCST project but now I can't find them. I did a search on this site and it found nothing.

I want to build the RCST using a 12F509. I have and ICD2 and an AC162049 Universal Programming Module to program it with. I'm brand new at this. I'm pretty sure this can be done. Will I run into any problems? Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Assuming that your programmer works correctly with the new PIC12F part, you should be fine. Just confirm that the fuses are correct before you burn.

The configuration questions are a little different than in your readme file. I'm setting them to:

Oscillator--IntOSC

Watchdog Timer--Off

Code Protect--Off

Master Clear Enable--External

Is this correct?

Code Protect--On

Master Clear Enable--Disable

Be VERY careful to not overwrite the factory OSCAL value.

There is no Master Clear Enable--Disable, only Internal and External. Those are the only choices it gives me. Also, I'm just downloading your file so I guess I'm not changing the OSCAL value.

There is no Master Clear Enable--Disable, only Internal and External.

"Internal" = MCLR disable.

I'm just downloading your file so I guess I'm not changing the OSCAL value.

Some hobby grade PIC programmers will do all that they can to overwrite the OSCAL. You must pay careful attention to the programmer's setup menus and prompts. For a typical prompt example: http://www.rc-cam.com/faq.htm#pic_osc1

Dear Mr.RC-Cam,

Just one more question, if you don't mind :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, since I'm a digital kind of guy and don't understand the analog side of things very well, why is there an RC timing circuit on the Vdd supply?

Thanks,

Mark

The power supply filter is needed because some servos are ugly inductive loads that can induce massive ripple on the power buss. The R-C components are effective in keeping the PIC's power clean (at least clean enough for reliable operation).