Vrflyer

Micro video recorder

I want to buy this video recorder to be able to record each flight, camcorder have mechanical parts, I want solid state recorder to be able to use it indefinitly.

Do you think it's enough (320 x 240, 30 fps), to get the same quality as Kilrah videos if I record with this?

When I will watch my flight video on tv, can I expected a good video quality

http://www.spygadgets.com/Merchant2/mercha...Category_Code=7

post-8-1140318450_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

It looks a bit overpriced for 320x480 resolution. Have you seen the Aiptek MPVR? It is 640x480 and the videos recorded on it look very good. In the USA, it has sold for as little as $98 at Target, but street price averages about $150.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_to...um_id=92&page=1

Hmm... Forget about 320x240, especially at this price. Use at least 640x480.

Here I'll go with my comparisons again: I've recorded a video from a very high quality DVD with my PC, same settings as I use to record my videos, and the same one with a 320x240 PVR.

PC: http://www.rc-tech.ch/divers/PC_5Mbps.mpg (40Mb)

PVR: http://www.rc-tech.ch/divers/PVR-A1%20DVD.asf (6.5Mb)

The difference is big...

If you prefer a PVR I'd recommend the Archos AV500. It has the great advantage of recording in DivX format, up to 2500kbps and in 640x480. Nearly all the others use WMV MPEG-4, which is a real pain to edit if you even manage to. I also have a sample here, unfortunately not the same video as it's not mine, but that's even better as it's sone flight video. I had recorded on both PC and the PVR, I have to admit that the difference was nearly negligible, plus the size was 1/4th on the PVR.

Here it is: http://rc-tech.webstockage.com/Divers/zoom...12.05_short.AVI (96Mb)

But of course it's more expensive, as always :(

Edited by Kilrah

Both models are attractive. The Archo is too expensive, Aiptek will be my choice, I will try to get one on E-bay

The Aiptek have internal memory and SD card I think, how long can expect to record my video at highest quality with internal memory and with SD card?

It's not usable in video mode with internal memory. You will only get a few minutes of video. An external 2Meg Card @ 640x480 = 96 minutes (estimated, varies with video content). The Aiptek web site specs offers this data.

What about recording tolerance to video drop outs?

Somebody who's using Archos (500 model) told me that his unit had no recording problem with the short interuptions of the video stream. But I thought Kilrah had problems with the cheaper unit - don't remember which one exactly.

Edited by cyber-flyer

What about recording tolerance to video drop outs?

That is something I would like to know too. I've been hoping to hear an answer to my old post asking about the MPVR: http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=961

2Meg ? should that be 2Gig

Oops. 2G.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Yeah that's a very important point too, forgot to mention it - thanks.

Yes, actually it's true the AV500 is rock solid and will stand about everything it receives on its input. We've never been able to make it freeze either during our tests or actual flying (has a point, as Murphy says it never fails during tests ;) )

But that's the first one that is that reliable. I've used Mustek PVR-A1 and PVR-H140, RCA Lyra RD2780 and even the older Archos AV-300 but all of them would crash and produce unrecoverable files when receiving "crippled" frames.

So unfortunately can't say about the MPVR... That's the sort of info you won't get from regular users unfortunately :(

Regarding format it says it is MPEG-4, and as I said before I really don't like that. It's encapsulated in WMV (ASF), which is a real pain to do anything with apart from watching the raw file. Very few editing programs support it, and when they do it's very slow. You have to convert it to another format (requires to find some software for that, doesn't always work, and useless conversion always means quality loss). I've found 1-2 that work pretty well now, could give you the names if you want.

PC-> PVR conversion programs that come with are usually quite slow too, but you can find some better ones on the net as well.

Unfortunately Archos are the only ones to use DivX. The AV500 is very good, I hesitate to get one for this summer to prevent me from taking the PC all the time. But as that would nearly be its only use that's a bit overkill.

How about this little puppy?

Canada Goose, how does this unit handle drop outs? Can you post a recorded sample with interrupted video? Otherwise it looks good.

Kilrah, I presume you can use video output on these recorders to capture video on PC the old fashion way, instead of doing MPEG-4 conversion in software. Have you tried it?

I will answer that question about the MPVR, I already ordered one on E-bay yesterday, it's a little marvel for it's price. Even if it's not work with my plane, I will like it anyway, I see the comments of many peoples, and everyone like it.

I have two reasons to record my videos, my second goal is record to make video for the web and for me, I already have a camcorder for that, but it's not practical to wear it each time. But my first goal, is to have a way to record each flight in case I lost the planes, it will help me to find a general area where the plane should crashed. If I take off from a new location, I will be more confortable. I hope I will be able to use the MPVR for that.

If a video dropout happens, do you think the MPVR will crash even if try to watch the video on the MPVR screen? or it will continue to play.

If a video dropout happens, do you think the MPVR will crash even if try to watch the video on the MPVR screen? or it will continue to play.

I obviously can't say for sure for this one, but for those I tested even the device itself would not read the corrupt file. The Lyra would even completely freeze needing you to press the reset button and leaving you with lost clusters on the HD. Scandisk was then needed to recover the space.

With all of them it wouldn't cause problems all the time. One day you could have a 1-sec dropout and it would stand it, but sometimes a single corrupt frame and the device would hang.

At least they couldn't be trusted. I don't fly for a given purpose and thus don't absolutely need the video, so that was not a serious problem. But I do record all my flights just in case they would be nice to keep. I simply delete those that are not very interesting, but the others lead to the videos I made, which are also great souvenirs for myself. And as you all know the device never fails on a grey windy day, but when you just made an awesome flight. That's awfully annoying... :angry:

So I prefer to carry my PC and be sure it works (I know, that's a bit optimistic with a PC, but at least... this one has never caused me problems yet). My camcorder has an AV input, but unfortunately for some reason it doesn't like the signal that the camera I always use puts out. It will always show red/green horizontal lines (can be seen on my first video on the other thread). It's only between these 2, the camera with any other monitor/recorder will work fine, camcorder will work fine with every other camera. Of course the problem only occurs with those I'd like to use together... I must definitely have some demon around me :(

Kilrah, I presume you can use video output on these recorders to capture video on PC the old fashion way, instead of doing MPEG-4 conversion in software. Have you tried it?

Of course, you can play the video on the device and record in another more handy format with a capture card. But that's another digital->analog->digital conversion + recompression... quite a loss of quality. Imagine that with a 320x240 source...

I haven't tested with a PVR, but already with a DVD doing it this way and recording with an even higher bitrate than the source will show significant loss, mostly pixelation.

And you lose one of the most handy features of these PVRs too, that is to only need to copy the ready-made file. You're back with real-time capture just like when using DV...

I'm surprise to learn all of that. I record my video since three year on a digital Canon camcorder, it convert the analog input into mpg4 to be record on tape. I never see problem with the video dropout. At home I use the firewire output to transfert the file to my computer and use Windows movie maker to edit it and enconter no problem, but it's long. It made a conversion if I remember well. If I use the Archos and the Divx format, it will be faster?

Witch free software can I use to edit video (better than Windows Movie maker)

Good news. According to a couple MPVR users on ezone, the DVR does not have any bad habits when icky composite video is used. They are using NTSC video, so hopefully the PAL mode works as well.

I received MPVR few week ago. It look to working well, but I still not have SD card, so I made some test with internal memory only, I'm not able to tansfert video. I buyed it from E-bay, it's use, but look like new. Unfortunately, I received MPVR without A/V USB output cable. I first attempt to do something with the vendor, all the answer I get is to buy one from E-bay. It's not available on E-bay, ok, I try with local store, they never see this little jack. Ok, I will order one from Aiptek, they do not sell to Canadian. Ok I will send it to Florida, my friend will go there in few week, he give me an address. This time Aiptek do not accept payment from Paypal that come from Canada.... Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Even Kilrah try to do something. Next step is the garbage.....

Can someone help me.....

I need someone who live in USA and order it for me and ship it first to his home, and reexpedite it to me. I will pay the total cost using my Paypal account and send a payment to you.

Thanks

A very despair guys. :)

Ok someone will help me, I receive a personnal message and answer it

thanks again

Or easier, buy a SD card (you'll need one anyway) and a USB card reader (certainly cheaper than the original cable!) ;)

And a lot faster, I forget to verify that, is the cable already ordered?

Edited by Vrflyer

ok, no problem, you can count on me, I will wait for it.

Edited by Vrflyer

The Aiptek office is now closed for the day. So, I emailed them to see if I can cancel the order. I doubt they will follow through, but it is worth a shot.

All end well, it look that Mr. RC-cam was able to cancel the cable, and I just come back from the store and decided to buy 2 GB SD card and a card reader, at $30 for the card reader, it was the best solution. So I will test MPVR today