Sign in to follow this  
philthyy

computer cam for RC FPV?

Hi everybody! Been awhile since I posted...but I've been lurking around. Anyway, I was at CompUSA a couple weeks ago and noticed a CCD camera made by Creative Labs with 640 by 480 lines of res at 30FPS and thought that it would be way WAY better than my current camera(330 by 220) I was excited to see that it only cost $99 but wondered if I can use it because it has a USB 2.0 plug. Is it possible (easy possible, I mean) to hook this camera up to my wireless setup? My current camera has only four wires, and I'm wondering if it would be as simple as opening up the case and locating the same four wires and hooking them up to my TX...Any ideas?

Hi,

No, normally PC cameras don't provide an analog video signal. Everything is handled digitally as soon as the CCD's signal is digitized.

Yup, some USB cameras will not have composite video connections in them. Most low cost webcams are CMOS, so I am surprised that you found a CCD version.

For $100 you should be able to find a decent CCD board camera. I prefer the Panasonic board cameras like the older CX-161 (one of the best!). Maybe eBay?

I have bought three of these ($29 each) and have them mounted in 3 planes. The video quality is great. It has analog out and audio also.

http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=204&rn=...ion=show_detail

This thread at RCGroups shows that other people are getting good results with this camera as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479780

Chris

I was thinking of getting the AV436 Mini Board Camera 1/4" CCD with Audio.

I'd like to use my laptop computer to monitor the video feed so the receiver would need to plug into my computer. Is there any windows computer software for this package?

What wireless transmitter and receive do you suggest? Can anyone suggest a package for me?

I want to install it all in my RC model P-51 plane.

Edited by riddell

yeah, the older Panasonic ones are nice....but I really have my heart set on a high res camera. Thats because I plan on getting the Crystalview video goggles which are rated at 640 by 480 lines of res, so I figured it would be nice if my camera also had a res somewhere close to that. Any other ideas or places I should look for a high res(over five hundred lines, anyway) camera?