I fly this plane since last year, it's very light and overpower with an O.S. 0.91

4 stroke.

I begin last summer to try what kind of aerobatic is possible to do from a planes with camera.

post-8-1141524391_thumb.jpg

I install a front cam inside the wing by cutting an access door between two spars (not sure of the name).

post-8-1141524677_thumb.jpg

A second cam looking down is located inside the other wing. I glue balsa piece inside to form two side. I install the cam between these two walls and push a piece of balsa to squeeze the cam in place.

post-8-1141525029_thumb.jpg

The two cam are install the way they look straight in front, no angle. When the horizon appear horizontaly in the center of the video, the planes is level. It's the same if I go up to the sky, I will use the second cam and kept the horizon center.

I add a video switch on channel 5 made from a relay and a servo circuit and toggle between both.

Edited by Vrflyer

The motor, O.S. 0.91 in. 4 strokes, beautifull. You can see the RPM sensor from the Black box under the motor. It use photocell to detect the propeller speed.

post-8-1141525939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

Here you can see the the location of the components. From left to right, the video switch, black box, receiver and battery.

post-8-1141526315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

The pitot tube is attach here. The wing connector for the two cam and the two servo.

post-8-1141526895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

The Felsweb 500 mW video transmitter is located inside the cockpit, it's the best location for a plane that will turn most of the time.

The cockpit window is hand made. It's crystal clear in prevision to install a cockpit cam mount on servo. The movement of the cam will be control by the movement of my head via a gyro under devellopement by Kilrah. The under cam will be remove, the video switch will switch between the front cam and the cockpit cam.

post-8-1141527662_thumb.jpg

The black box is an onscreen video overlay, it add on the video the altitude, speed,RPM, the call sign and two battery voltage. It have a cool feature, I can disable some of the info it display, I removed the call sign and battery, leaving better view.Anyway, a "low battery" will be display if the voltage come to low.

http://www.act-labs.com/black-box/

I tried last summer with a cockpit cam (without window) and see rapidly that it's not easy to fly from there. The cam was control by a potentiometer on the Tx, and all the front of the planes was white, the worst color for cam under sunlight ...

I had dark color near the cam, and hope, with practice, it will become easier to fly sit in the cockpit.

I will add the triangles at the end of the wing to guide me within some aerobatic when I will come use to fly from there.

But first, with the front and under cam configuration, I will try the black box beyond what is designed for, and see if it could survive to dive and rapid ascension :)

I need good wheather, I did not fly since last august...bad wheather begin and very rare occasion to fly, I stay inside like a bear who do not want to be disturb. It was very cold and windy since many weeks, but it look that tomorow, nice wheather with few clouds will be at the rendez-vous for me, the Gods are with me :)

I will record a video for you :)

Hi Vrflyer....your set up is looking very good and I am really excited to see some video from you soon. I am almost ready to test fly my AP cargo plane and I have some i-glasses to try some flying from the cockpit....I will have to get some tips from you before trying it though. Let me know how the BB works for you...so far the feedback coming in has been very good :)

Mike

Cool, you can count on my help. What kind of i-glasses? Do you have a picture.

I fly this morning, condition was vey good, bright sunlight, light wind, everything perfect. I was not able to stay at my normal place due to snow, so I move a little bit near a big metal workshop. I was always there few year ago, never had problem.

Take-off perfect, only the motor need little adjustement. I remark some glitch while flying, normally I see that rarely. The Black box react well to rapid change of altitude, I make some dive and rapid ascension, but because of the motor, nothing too excessive. I've come back to land, suddenly I lost radio link close to touch down, it last 2-3 seconds, but I was able to retake the control of the planes, I gain altitude and move myself on the road to take some distance from the workshop. I come again for a landing, I the worst happen, I lost again the radio link, totally lost and the planes hit the asphalte hardly. Planes near total destruction snif :(

Edited by Vrflyer

I suspect the worshop to emit something that affect my transmission. A new big industry is in construction very close too, I will never know.

I had record the flight, a receiver was install on the roof of the car. A dipole antenna was use. Normally, I wear the camcorder on me and plug it to my headset, but for the first flight, I want to be free.

The result is a poor quality video, a lot of dropout. The video in my google was a lot better than that, but I will show you this video to be able to judge by yourself. It will take me sometime, I'm not use to make and post video.

The speed was sometimes eratic, probably a better location, far from the center of the propeller will be better.

Here the last photo of the Funtana

post-8-1141667561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

Ouch sorry to see that :(

That's the worst thing about R/C glitches, it's rarely possible to find the actual reason for the problem... When you try again you can just hope it will work better, know the feeling...

And what about the equipment?

I've still not tested the equipement, I take a walk to think about it. But everything look good, only muffler and the front cam suffer a little bit, it was eject :)

I think I know what happens. Stupid error. It was the fist flight of the year, I have so much thing to think about, I can not remember if I extend the antenna, so the problem was probably there...

Glow engine need so much equipement and preparation and cleaning, I understand you to use electric plane. My Easystar is ready, I expected wait a little bit, but I will begin to prepare for first flight. I will remove cam for it.

post-8-1141670795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrflyer

But I do not expect practice my aerobatic with planes :)

But it will made very smoooooooooth video.

post-8-1141671020_thumb.jpg

That is very sad. Hopefully all the expensive video gear survived.

Everything is so well protected, I work a lot to protect in case of the worst scenario. It's not the first time I destroy planes with video onboard, I never lost something. Only one cam on my Zagi, but to save weight, I do not made metal case, but made the method suggest by Yb2normal on his site, with balsa. It had not work for me, the cam work less than a couple of hour, after a good crash, the ccd solder broke ...

I must go working now...

Edited by Vrflyer

No doubt now, More I think about it, more I'm convince the antenna was retract, only one segment out.

But how could this happens, I got enough years of pratice, always with video google. If you had see me, on the side of the road, in the entry of the workshop, trying not to take too much space, and too much thing to prepare, I forget the basic. The problem was there in fact. I need confortable place to be able to take my time. In the summer, this place is perfect, I have plenty of space on the grass far from the industry.

Anyway, I expected to use this planes only few weeks, the time to be use to fly from a cockpit cam. I will learn directly on the Cap 232. The Funtana is not a scale planes. From the cockpit, the nose appear infinitly long... The cockpit is too far behind. The cap is a scale planes. The cam will be higher and closer from the front of the planes, this will be better.

I do not regret it too much..........I must think positive :)

Vrflyer,

yes, I always take it positive, too... time for a new model! ;c)

I know what you mean... I lost my 2,5m jamara "easy-riser" because I forget to put out the antenna after a battery-change. I forget it in the fuselage and when I flew I came out of range immediately. Result was a full-power crash from some 100 to 200m directly in front of some spectators.... luckily nobody got harmed.. the people were withe-faced as snow or ghots, thought. I did not survive even the slightest peace of the plane BUT because it was a tail-pusher the motot did survive, and because I think ahead I put my lipo-battery into a "punsh-pack" (many layers of aluminum-tape, along with gfk-tape.... but keep watch for heat then). The battery was found some 150meters away from the crash-site, yet it was in fine-condition (except from the green grass remanents and dirt all over it, it took a full punsh into earth and jumped 150meters away!!!). Also the camera did survive because it was in a metal-case... yet there was a huge bite-out of its case...

Greets,

Marcus

You crash in front of spectator at full speed, yeark...

I'm very maniac, I put everything in foam, so if something bad happens, I will kept my smile.

I don't have time to assemble the Capmaniac, I decide to prepare another one that was complete two years ago, but never fly. It's a WWI Fokker Eindecker E3

post-8-1147410974_thumb.jpg