Sign in to follow this  
dalbert02

diversity Rx idea

I had a thought the other day and was looking for some input as to how practical it would be. I was interested in extending range of model aircraft. I was thinking of how the new Spektrum radio works and also Black Widow's diversity reciever works. Would it be possible to have the front end of three regular aircraft receivers, each with a seperate antenna in a different plane (x,y,z) feed a device that would 'choose' the receiver with the best signal. Or possibly compare the frames coming out of each receiver and and choose to go with the best 2 of 3. Thanks.

-dave

What frequency spectrum are you thinking of doing this on?

Also realize that diversity receivers aren't any more sensitive then regular video receivers for receiving the signal. Inside the magic diversity box is just a couple regular video receivers, the exact same receiver that most of you are using now. Trust me, I designed and hand built the first generation of Diversity Receivers that Blackwidow sold.

Since 2.4ghz (the frequency of most video transmitters) is such a small wavelength, especaially compared to 72mhz (frequency of r/c controllers) that it is quite tempermental about being aligned correctly. 72Mhz is much more forgiving about being aligned correctly.

End statement is this, you will NOT get any more range out of three 72MHz receivers, or even TEN 72Mhz receivers. You will just reduct the chance of interference due to multi-path interference.

Matt Klarich

Klarich Electronics

www.klarichelectronics.com

Edited by mklarich

But isn't the point that you can use higher db directional antennas to get more acceptable coverage? I would think that instead of using whip antennas, you could use patch antenna that have higher reception in one direction, but put several together and you now have farther range in many directions. You also have the ability to orient the antennas differently (one vertical, one horizontal for example) to get better reception when doing complex maneuvers where the Tx antenna may change orientations.

Edited by twinturbostang

There is a European firm called ACT that sells a sophisticated 35Mhz R/C diversity Rx system. Rumored to work good, but I know nothing about it. Perhaps you could adapt the concept to 72Mhz?

http://www.acteurope.de/html/dsl_receiver_system.html

http://www.acteurope.de/DSl_System_describtionq.pdf

What frequency spectrum are you thinking of doing this on?

72Mhz is much more forgiving about being aligned correctly.

I did not know this. My intention was indeed 50 or 72Mhz. :unsure:

It seems the more I learn the less I know. Thanks.

On a side note, Mr. Klarich I'd love to conduct experiments on antenna Rx and Tx design on 50Mhz, 72Mhz, and 2.4Ghz if you ever do make a field strength meter. :) With 6m, I might be able to get something from MFJ, but the other bands are somewhat obscure to buy COTS.

Thanks anyhow,

-dave