If you have questions about the Vizion OSD board then this is a fine place to post them. Or you may directly contact support at dpcav.com.

Important links:

Instructions are found here: Vizion Instructions

Purchase from dpcav.com: Vizion catalog page

Vizion V3 Upgrade, new features: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16187

Below is a screenshot from the Vizion OSD (with the V3 upgrade).

post-3-1192685273_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I have a small problem with the overlay, the writing is showing trails to the right as if the letters were moving at high speed to the left and they sort of twinkle. I have tryed adjusting the video levels on both the transmitter and the receiver but the trails remain right down to minimum. Any ideas ?

Terry

post-3-1144954003_thumb.jpg

That is not good. Let's try to narrow this down.

1) Is the existing video path the camera, OSD and PAL monitor? Or, is the wireless Video Tx being used too?

2) If the Video Tx is being used, what happens when it is removed from the path? That is, direct connect everything.

3) What video camera are you using? Do you have another video camera you can try?

4) What are you using for a video monitor? Do you have another you can try?

5) If you turn off power, remove the video camera, and measure the ohms across the video cable, do you see the industry standard ~75 ohms?

OK, I got it....My receiver is causing the problem. It seemed odd as it is ok with a different OSD board. Funny thing is it is at it worst with all the parts I had connected. When I changed the camera it got better, when I changed the transmitter it got better but when I changed the receiver it was cured 100% no matter what. Thanks for your time.

Terry

Its odd but I have 2 out of 4 receivers that show this problem and adjusting the video level pot maks no difference. Do you have any idea why this would be ?

Terry

I suspect your video Rx has an incorrectly set video amplitude (happens all the time). If you have an o-scope, and know where the video level pot is inside the Rx, then I can walk you through it. The goal is to setup the system for 1Vpk-pk video. Perform the adjustments without the OSD installed.

Actually, the details to a Lawmate Tx video amplitude tweak are found here: http://www.rc-cam.com/lawmate.htm. Maybe you can use that as a template to optmize your PAL Rx.

If that does not help then it is a video bandwidth issue. Maybe we can hack the Vizion to help that out.

EDIT: I am assuming that you are using the same video Tx for all four of your Rx's. If not, then the problem could also include the video level setting inside the Tx module.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

As I said the video amplitude pot makes no difference to the trails, it only makes the whole picture brighter or darker. Yes I am using the same tx for all the receivers.

Terry

That is very strange. Are they all the same Rx model? Do you have any idea what might be different about them?

Smearing is usually a video bandwidth issue. I suspect that something is different in that regard between the various Rx's. It may be possible to reduce the bandwidth needed by Vizion by changing a resistor and cap. It is hard to say if it will help, since a significant change would further reduce the OSD quality.

No all 4 are different models, all got different circuits. I take it there is no way to adjust bandwidth at the tx or rx ?

I dont want to make any changes to the Vizion as I have a receiver that works with it, it would just be nice to get the others as good.

Terry

The wireless Rx's video bandwidth performance would be related to its basic design. That would be difficult to change. So, an attempted fix would involve changes to the pixel generator inside Vizion. There's a resistor and a cap that would be involved. As mentioned, I have no idea if it will solve the problem, but it might be worth a try.

Received mine yesterday :)

I've wired it how it will be, everything works fine. It will be mounted on the flight cam of my new plane that is about to be ready to fly. Haven't been able to test altitude yet, as I've forgotten my Zlog at a friend's <_<

I'll just replace the voltage measurement pins by a BEC connector. As I'll have to connect it each time I assemble the plane I'm sure I'll end up reversing polarity at some time otherwise...

Edited by Kilrah

I've wired it how it will be, everything works fine. It will be mounted on the flight cam of my new plane that is about to be ready to fly.

It would be great if you posted some photos of your installation. Videos -- send all you got! :)

Hehe of course ;)

I managed to get this thing ready this afternoon and to do the first flight just before the night came in.

Systems-wise a good run, plane was flying a bit strangely though, will sure have to make some more adjustments, but that's already OK. Test conditions weren't that good either, and that additional airbrake at the front certainly doesn't help :P

All you'll get for now is a couple of screenshots though, as I still haven't received my BEC connectors I don't have the final wiring yet, I was still running the camera and vizion off 2 separate 2s/240mAh batteries. Won't take pics of that mess ;)

Final description, and more flights if weather cooperates should come this week-end.

Here it is, still without Zlog unfortunately..

103670b2.jpg00c187c3.jpg

The only little detail I've noticed is that there will be black horizontal lines over the image whenever a part of the image that lies under the text is bright white, like this:

026b9c88.jpg

Otherwise very neat! Flight battery voltage and current really give a good idea of the flight time you can get. I seem to be drawing around 8A in level flight, that's about half an hour :)

Thanks for posting the photos!

The thin black lines that you are getting are interesting. A white Vizion pixel, mixed with a white video signal, will combine as a super-white level. It is odd it appears as a black level.

I suppose it is an artifact of something in the video chain that does not like high amplitude whites. Just for grins, check to see if the input of the video Tx has the required 75 ohm termination. I don't have any other suggestions beyond that.

Cool to see you have begin to fly the Moviestar. Half-hour of flight time it's very good. Which battery and which motor you use ?

Do you have tried your gyroscope with the front cam ?

The second cam is mount on servo if I remember well, how do you control the pan?

Denis

Edited by Vrflyer

I'll make a new thread for this when I have the photos ;)

Yes I bet something in there might be disturbed by the super-high level. Anyway that's not a problem, this cam is there for flying, I'll pick the nice images from the front one ;)

Haven't tested anything more, that was just a 10-min first flight to check if it would actually take-off :)

OK, I've received my connectors :)

Here's a little detail of the flight video stuff before mounting everything in the plane, as it wouldn't be possible to see anything in there, getting really crammed with all these wires! ;)

Video battery (2s/1000mAh Li-po) powers both camera / TX and Vizion. I've added a little 4-pin connector to the cam to have access to 5V/Vin/Vout/Gnd. When using it stand-alone I simply put a jumper cap on the 2 middle ones.

The Zlog is hooked to the Vizion and to the R/C RX. The Vizion's R/C input is chained on the Zlog.

I've put 4mm gold connectors on the current sensor to be able to easily wire it in series with the flight battery. As said above, the Vizion's voltage measurement pins have been replaced by a BEC connector to avoid reverse connections and to make it easier to plug the battery when the Vizion is buried inside the plane.

post-3-1146349171_thumb.jpg

It's good to see you got your Zlog back. :)

There are some long wires in the setup; Be sure to perform careful ground range tests to check your R/C system for EMI/RFI issues.

Thanks for sharing the new photo. It's interesting to see how folks connect things together. The 4mm bullets are a good idea. Another popular solution is two build a "Y" cable with Deans Ultra (a popular connector in the USA).

I've gone for a couple of flights today :)

I've taken about an hour to make some pretty extensive ground tests in the first place. I've replaced my 7ch PPM RX with a R149DP, as it's easier to judge by failsafe / no failsafe than by servos jerky / servos less jerky... So here's what I got to. Light range reduction with the Vizion's RC input connected, all the rest didn't matter. To get it a little more precisely, I also compared Zlog only / Vizion only / both.

Strangely enough the Zlog "ate" quite a lot of range, the Vizion a bit less, and both together even less :unsure:

Anyway I did the first flight without these connected, and ater seeing there was no problem I added them for the 2nd flight. 0 dropout either. So pretty satisfying :)

But with the PPM RX it seems I'll get jerky servos pretty soon, even with a totally common setup... weird.

Will have to do more test about this at some point too, but I might stick with the 149DP at least until I need it somewhere else...

I have a small problem with the Motor Amps jumping up and down even when the motor is at a constant setting. All the other readings are ok. Any idea why this might be ?

Terry

I'm not sure what sort of jumping you are experiencing. But if it is just a small variation in data, then it is probably normal. Using the Update:Slow feature may help.

Sure would love to see some videos of your OSD flights. Have any links to share?

The values are a bit wild at times 15A to 25A, I will try the update slow feature and see.

Sorry no links to share as I only use the live video to steer the plane and aim the digital camera and dont normally record the flights.

I am in the process of testing a new plane though so I may record some flights later but I still have not tracked down a Zlog.

Terry

I just tryed the update slow on the bench but the Amp readout like a random number generator. I set the throttle to 1/4 power and the motors were nice and steady but the Amps were showing anything between 4.8 and 7.2. Is there anything that you know of that can cause this ?

Terry

I have witnessed motor currents that bounced, but not radically. Vizion performs a filtering on the amp data to help smooth things out. However, it still allows for heavy current spikes to appear in the data (good for diagnosing motor/ESC issues).

What do you see if you install an ammeter? The meter will heavily average the current values, but should help tell you if Vizion is working. Also, Is this a brushed or brushless motor? It would be helpful to try another motor and ESC. There's a reason for everything, so we will get to the bottom of this.

BTW, I believe that Kilrah has some Zlog's.

With a normal ammeter the current seems to be around the 1/3 mark of the values on Vizion eg when Vizion jumps from 3 to 6 the ammeter shown 4.

I am running a pair of AXI motors and controllers from a 5600mAh 3 cell LiPo pack.

I will try and do some more testing ASAP.

Thanks, Terry