Regarding Video PowerSupply from the Main battery I did a couple of tests with various regulators. Here are my results:

As long as the voltage of the main battery stays above 6V, the LM2940 5.0 along with its two caps works very well, no additional reg required.

If the voltage drops below that, you get horizontal lines from the motor in the video picture.

So if you want a clear video picture with just one battery on board, make sure the voltage at the input pin of the linear reg 2940 5.0 stays well above 6V, so it has sufficient headroom to do its work. Also it shouldn't be much higher than 7.4V because of heat issues with the linear reg.

A switching reg without this linear reg won't eliminate the distortion (horizontal lines in the video) coming from the motor.

It "only" helps to maintain a resonable input voltage for the linear reg. This one does the "cleaning" work.

(BTW, the switching regs from Dimension Engineering are a great choice regarding performance, weight, size, price, shipping. If you consider a replacement of your current BEC, or even adding another, their webpage is a great place to look for it.)

Finally we don't have snow this winter.... snif!

I prepare my Easystar for a hard winter, and tempersature stay oftenly above zero, so I removed the canopy and the skids. I try one time to take-off on the snow, and my motor is not powerfull eough. But flying when the snow had fall is beautifull, I done only one flight with snow on the ground this winter.

I prepare my Easystar for testing another video equipement, the "ready to fly" 500mW video kit from Range video: http://www.rangevideo.com/

It's amazing how this 500mW tx is small, it have 8 channel and work very well on the bench. I will also try the Berg 7P receiver. I want to make long range flight, I never go beyond one kilometer, this time I want to reach two kilometer.

post-8-1168748384_thumb.jpg

The receiver antenna is install on the wing, giving me the best reception for flight in straight line.

post-8-1168748638_thumb.jpg

I made a plane locator few year ago. I buy a jogger alarm ( women kept that alarm in the hand while do jogging in park), and modify it by adding an r/c switch in it. If the plane is lost, I can activate the alarm with a toggle switch. But the alarm will cry also if the radio signal is not present. It have also it's own battry, so if the planes is totla destruction, the alarm will cry. It inside a very strong case.

post-8-1168749174_thumb.jpg

The Range video receiver is install on top of a tripod. The video goggle will be plud directly on it at first. You can see between the tripod leg a video transmiter. My idea is to transmit on channel "X" from the planes to the ground receiver, and retransmit the signal on channel "Y" to a second receiver that I will wear on my pant belt. If it work, I will place the tripod in the feild far from my car or fence etc. The reception will be optimal and will retransmit it to the receiver on my belt, so I will not have to wear a receiver on my head like in my first setup, and I will have a better reception. I can install my video recorder Archos AV500 on the tripod, so I will not have to wear it on me.

post-8-1168749851_thumb.jpg

Hello Denis,

I can tell I was not the only one to lose my airplane right?

But I always have my cell phone number written on my planes, and it works great, my planes always come back home sooner or later.

I use the berg 7 and I love it, very good receiver with a fail safe, it's a single conversion, but it works better than my others dual conversion B)

Au revoir.

Dennis, I´d be afraid about fixing the rx antenna right on the LE. When the plane lands, if there´s tall grass or small sticks they will hit the antenna, wich may not be too good for the long term.

Don´t you prefer cutting a superficial line along the wing with a razor to fit the antenna inside it?

... But the alarm will cry also if the radio signal is not present. It have also it's own battry, so if the planes is totla destruction, the alarm will cry...

Denis,

Could you please give us more details on a r/c switch you've used? It sounds like it can be used as an out of range indicator?

Thanks

Denis,

Could you please give us more details on a r/c switch you've used? It sounds like it can be used as an out of range indicator?

Thanks

I don't have info about it, i made it several year ago.

Ok so you fabricated your switch from scratch, but for a guy like me who is not as intelligent as you in that department; is your switch similar to a PICO SWITCH to activate your alarm?

Pico Switch: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm

:huh:

Even better is this:

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/onboardacc/mers/

Smaller and lighter, and handles more current (6A).

Denis,

Can you put details up here about your vacuforming rig for making the canopies?

Or would you be interested in making some and selling them to us other EasyStar pilots?

It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt

Denis,

Can you put details up here about your vacuforming rig for making the canopies?

Or would you be interested in making some and selling them to us other EasyStar pilots?

It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt

I never been able to make a good quality cockpit with it, Plastic is always deform.

Are you still intetrest about picture.

Edited by Vrflyer

I sure would Denis. Any info you have on the vacuforming rig you use for making canopies. Thanks.

I do have a question...Was there a canopy on the aircraft when you made the Bromont video?

I ask because it sure looks clear enough that it looks like there was no canopy at all.

No distortion or anything.

thanks,

Curt

Edited by IndiQa

I sure would Denis. Any info you have on the vacuforming rig you use for making canopies. Thanks.

I do have a question...Was there a canopy on the aircraft when you made the Bromont video?

I ask because it sure looks clear enough that it looks like there was no canopy at all.

No distortion or anything.

thanks,

Curt

No canopy was installed on the bromont video

The video made with easystar had a canopy

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=436...q=vrflyer+video

search

Rc plane Easystar (First video)

Edited by Vrflyer

The headset is plug into the r/c transmiter. A high capacity batt is use. The momentary trainer switch (left) as been interchange with the switch on the other side, now I have a normal switch as trainer switch, so for the Gyrocontrol, I leave it in trainer position, and when I toggle the switch to normal, the cam come to a preset center position. The right switch is now a momentary switch, I rewire it to be able to use it for the reset button of the Gyrocontrol, so to recenter the cam in Gyro mode, I flip the switch, it also serve for programmation of the Gyrocontrol.

I install an infrared led in the center of the r/c transmiter for an automatic recentering of the Gyro, it send a pulse beam in direction of the headset. On the headset, a small tube with a phototransistor at the end pick up the signal only when the head look straight. It work, but I don't like it, I don't like to see the cam rapidly moving to center when I record movie or normal use, I can recenter the cam better manually, but it's cool, I added a switch to disable it at will.

The cavalry recorder is install on the r/c transmiter. A receiver with two video/audio output on the side of the headset.

what transmitter is that in the picture? What is the range on it for FPV flying?

Hi VR,

I swapped my twinstar for an easystar. Actually, I keep it in the attic, until I get better at this. Last flight damaged the nacelles. But now, I really like the easy.

I've got already a few things: esc25 amps, sportBEC (I know can be noisy, but to start should do I think), kx131, the pan and tilt setup (in the plane) rangevideo tx 500mW with 3 db antenna, and travel Rx with 8 db antenna.

A few questions:

- Brushless motor (E-Flite 4200KV Brushless), is it an out runner, or an in runner? 4200? That’s huge. Don’t you mean 1200? You later complained about rate of climb. Is this because of the plane, or the motor.

Currently I’ve got 2 lying around:

Park 450 - Brushless Outrunner Motor

EFLM1400

Kv: 890 (rpms per volt)

Ri: .1 ohms (resistance)

Continuous Current: 12A

Max Burst Current: 18A

Cells: 6-10 Ni-Cd/Ni-Mh, 2-3 Li-Po

Brushless ESC: 10 to 25 amp

Would they do?

- Remote. Mine is currently a hitec eclipse 7. Now I found that gyro do not work with it. Which Futaba do you recommend me. PPM, right? How many channels? 7?

- Goggles. I ordered rangevideo 545. They are out of stock, so could always cancel them. But in a video with the cap232, I see you use red ones, and it seems recent. Are they any better? Which do you recommend? (They seem to also have a red gyro that you mounted on your cap) or you still recommend the aeropix gyro, rctech?

- Which batteries are you using. 2 cell Lipo 2100mah, but long, or folded? What about the second video battery.

- Could you show the internal of your easystar to see how you organize it? Actually the motor mount too.

- I don't really understand the adjustment of the rear horizontal plane you talk about. It seems to me it can only be set at one angle.

Well, all in all, it is about asking what you have learned and avoiding making the same mistakes.

Any advice welcomed

Hi jbourdon, in this thread:

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?show...wtopic=1222&hl=

you can find information about some easystar setup.

Something about motor mount:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566537

Another nice page is this one:

http://www.mpx-easystar.de/

It's a german page but it should be easy to understand the most important things.

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?act=...ID=in&MSID=4371

...and this one might answer some of your questions:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread....iloting+project

Cheers,

Hartwig

Edited by Hartwig

Hi All,

I am getting ready to do my first FPV attempt(s), have purchased a brand new easystar(will transfer the guts of my old E/S brushless setup, old airframe to be sacrificed for CNC /elapor machining experiments, finding the sweet spot for cnc/elapor)

Video headset is a headplay unit, video tx is a 900mhz .5w rangevideo. video rx is 2xrangevideo 900mhz , 1 x 8db hyperlink panel to SMA male), 1 x 7 db omni(quad stacked collinear in a radome) both feeding a oracle video diversity receiver then into a belkin to ubuntu linux(recording) and into the headplay unit.

I have a kx-131 with a pandora mount.

I have ordered a sparkfun IDG300 breakoutboard(and using a french design http://serge.laforest.free.fr/HMT/HMT.htm) as the basis for my gyro driver for now until I recode in spin or c),

I have at present an eclipse 7(but I understand this is hard to interface to a head gyro system where 2 airleron servos will be in use.(ie I am shortening the wings of the ES and flattening the wingtips and adding airlerons.))

will probably use an older futaba 8ch for my receiver but have a new berg 7P if that is sufficient(and much lighter)

I am considering obtaining a EVO-12 to ease the head gyro interface.

I will be using this design for my OSD http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default....x?f=25&m=202781

using one of hitt consultings usb propeller proto boards.

from all the experience represented in this forum can the members tell me of any gotchas they may see with the setup(note the stacked collinear presents as a 4 lobed radiation pattern)(for those worried about circular pattern omnis.

regards

gwen

ps brushless is a rc-dymond EP 2800KV inrunner with a 7.5x5 prop(mounted in the can of a speed 400) powered by a TANIC 2150 3S1P.(yes the fuse is taken down to accomodate and CF rods and strips are being added during assembly to stiffen things up.

Edited by gwenhastings

If you're changing your radio just for the tracker, please don't go for Multiplex... The common move is rather to get rid of Multiplex for Futaba's flexibility with the trainer port operation.

In addition, in the same range a Futaba T12FG is quite a bit cheaper and is another world in terms of programming possibilities. A friend of mine who had an Evo and just changed for the T12 is wondering how he could do with that thing for the year he's had it now...

ouch wish this had reached me sooner, went the evo because I thought it had more flexibility(I am a implementing a paparazzi autopilot/first be a FMA CDP-4) , and was under the impression that the evo trainer cord is channel selectable(I am implementing my own head gyro with an IDG300 for FPV with an ATMEGA tiny13 or a picaxe 8 chip). The EVO is going for 600.00 us and I couldnt touch the futaba for less than 1k(if you know of a cheap source for the TX alone(ie 600.00us) tell me I will pay the restock fee on the EVO)(BTW I just now checked the EVO 12 manual and found I can delegate up to 5 channels to the trainer cord)

thanx

gwen

ie my headtracker is loosely based on this http://serge.laforest.free.fr/HMT/HMT.htm

I disassembled the binary to see the algorithms and am reimplementing on a propeller prototype board in spin.

and I that being said I searched on you and found you have done exactly the same as I am attempting and appear to be very experienced in this area. So what ARE your specific gripes about the Royal EVO?, Ouch just read your gripes about emi/emc from the Rf modules, and limitations on trainer cord I take it the futaba 12fg doesnt suffer from this limitation? which specific model do you recommend, (also keep in mind I need access to the ppm signal onboard the aircraft for paparazzi) and will chat with vendor tomorrow about taking unopened tx back in exchange for purchasing a system a 2x the price. :(

(was migrating from CDP4 control to using the same sensor for paparazzi, with added z-sensor)

Edited by gwenhastings

Never had any problems with any Futaba model. In the current line, everything from 7C on will do. They're all able to take all channels from the trainer port and selectively. I was referring to the 12FG because here it's the same price as the Evo 12! Unfortunately it's the ~$1k for both (sets with RX etc), not the other way ;)

You can grab the PPM signal on the aircraft with any as long as you're working in PPM, and all radios do that.

Edited by Kilrah

Would head tracking be possible on a Grauper/JR MX-12?

Cheers,

Sander.