Sign in to follow this  
philthyy

EL 350 camera any good?

This camera is made by Everfocus, but it has a Sony CCD sensor. I found it at Polaris Security Industries. It has 480 lines(enhanced to 520) and a .5 lux and a whole host of other nice features. I thought the price was fair at $169, but was wondering if anybody could tell me if this would be a good camera for flying FPV, as that is my main focus lately. It is a bit heavy, at 10 oz, but my plane can definitely carry it. My current camera is a cheap 330 line CCD and I really want to go up in resolution and image clarity. Does anybody have any other suggestions beside this EL-350? I'm hoping to get the clarity I want for less than $200....

The product description sounds good. Hopefully someone has used it and can offer some detailed advice.

I have a two Taiwan made bullet cameras that use the Sony 1/3" 420 line CCD HAD chipset. They are heavy cameras (9.5 ounces) due to the machined metal case. I toyed with them for awhile, but now they are sitting in my closet collecting dust. To be honest with you, I don't think they are as good as the popular Panasonic board cameras. For sure, the weight is a big problem for small models.

Thanks for the quick reply! Would you be interested in selling me one of those cameras? I also found multiple sites that sell the Panasonic KX131 for about $140, which I think will be my next camera. I see many people on this site really like it, so that tells me that it must be good! Plus, its not a bad price for such a small, high quality camera.

I second Mr. RC-CAM's point of view. Specs are both significative and irrelevant, nothing beats a real test. It's just like digital cameras, common users are always after the number of pixels, but in reality you will have 5MP ones that will be far better than 8MP ones. It's about the same with our cameras, definition is one thing but certainly one of the less meaningful ones. Treatment that goes behind is the key, and the KX131 performs very well there :)

To tell you, when comparing the images I got the other day I'm frankly thinking about dropping the "mighty 620-line" CCD I have on my new plane for one of these "ridiculous 380-line" KX131s...

Thanks for the quick reply! Would you be interested in selling me one of those cameras?

Gladly! I'll take $75 shipped (USA only) for it.

post-5-1146587598_thumb.jpg