Sign in to follow this  
technoslik

USB PC CAM to Composite VIDEO

I have a lot of PC cameras (the usb types) all over my computer room, so I came up with an idea to design a project to interface one of these babies to a PIC micro thus converting the images to composite video signal and maybe add the sound also. Before I do so, I want to know if anyone know of any such circuit?

A friend of mine told me that usb camers will not work without a pc. I think I should be able to have one work on a single pic chip. Before I start however, I would like to know if anyone do have one working. Why dump the cams if they can be used for RC or other remote apps?

This comes up a lot. The normal answer is to forget it, its not worth it.

Terry

:huh: Hi Terry! thank U for the reply. I still think I'll make a go at it, the image chip and brain of these cameras are so small that they could fit anywhere on a remote craft. I'll post the results should anyone wanna use it.

In order to communicate with your camera you'd need a USB host. No PIC offers this function, so you'll have to use a dedicated chip. Then you will have to find out how your particular camera works and write a driver for it.

Then you need to find some extensive info on how a color video signal is formed (haven't found anything precise regarding this BTW, if someone knows where to find it.. ;) ). Do quite a lot of treatment that is more the task of a fast DSP than of a PIC, especially if your camera is a 640x480 model, which would be the minimum if you want some quality. That would require a USB 2.0 interface by the way. And finally use a fast D/A converter in order to get your video signal.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a huge project, with both hardware and software, which would certainly get an electronics engineer who already knows a bit about that busy for 1 or 2 weeks ;)

If the size is the matter... the cams I use on my planes are much smaller than a webcam, your interface not counted, and of better quality ;)

Edited by Kilrah