Sign in to follow this  
Busta Prop

RCFS-V2 - User Configuration Problem

Hi

I have just built this circuit and it works fine on the initial test i.e. turn transmitter off, led flashes for a short while then turns solid. My problem is that I cant get into program mode. I turn the power on while holding down the pressbutton. The led flashes and stops when I release the button. I then press the button twice for hold mode (led flashes as I press the button - is this correct?). I then wait for the led to flash slowely to turn the filter on but this never occurs. Any ideas why?

Many thanks

Busta

I then press the button twice for hold mode (led flashes as I press the button - is this correct?).

Yes, the led should wink (once per press) to acknowledge the key press.

I then press the button twice for hold mode (I then wait for the led to flash slowly to turn the filter on but this never occurs). Any ideas why?

That is odd. Are you releasing the push switch or are you holding it down after the second press? {it should be released.} After a 5sec delay, the LED should start blinking for the filter setting.

Hi again

When I am pressing twice for hold mode - yes I do release after the second press. I have noticed that while pressing if I hold the button a bit too long the led starts to blink as if its showing the status which makes me think I may not be in program mode in the first place.

Regards

Busta

I think my problem may relate to fuses set. I am using WinPic software. It gets device configuration options from MPLAB (i.e. "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB IDE\Device\PIC12F683.dev") When I use this definition files a few fuses are different to the ones in your documentation:

there is no MCLR but is "MCLRE Master Clear Enable" - options Internal/External

there is no BODEN0 & BODEN1 but "BODEN Brown Out Detect" - options BOD Enabled, SBOREN Controls BOR Function, BOD Enabled in run - disabled in sleep, BOD Enabled SBOREN disabled

OSC OScillator - Internal RC Clockout/ No Clock

Previously I simply loaded your hex code and it appeared to select values and thats what I went with.

Any suggestions as to what these settings should be?

Thanks

Busta

I have noticed that while pressing if I hold the button a bit too long the led starts to blink as if its showing the status which makes me think I may not be in program mode in the first place.

That is a significant clue. At that step, if you hold the button, after 5 secs the LED should turn on and stay on while you continue to hold it. If it doesn't, then the RCFS-2 has determined that the R/C signal is not valid and it will totally abort the configuration setup attempt.

It sounds like your R/C signal is the cause. Your transmitter must be turned on during your programming attempts. If your R/C Rx glitches a lot with the Tx too close, then move it away from the Rx. Otherwise, try another R/C system.

When I use this definition files a few fuses are different to the ones in your documentation:

Your fuse choices do not seem to be complete. Here is what the general choices should be:

MCLR Internal.

Brownout (BOD) disabled.

OSC: Internal with I/O.

Power Timer: Enabled.

The fuse selections are coded in the hex file and the PIC programming system should be able to automatically set them for you.

Hi

You were right! It was the RX signal causing the problem. I was testing using a Berg RX which has it's own glitch filtering. After power up there must be a slight delay before it sends out a first valid pulse to the servos. Im guessing that RCFS uses the power up timer to trigger whether to go to run mode or program mode. In my case when it fired the Berg RX had not yet sent out a valid servo pulse hence I was unable to ever get into program mode.

Anyway, with a different RX it works great. Thanks for another excellent circuit.

Happy (glitch free) flying

Busta

Im guessing that RCFS uses the power up timer to trigger whether to go to run mode or program mode.

On power up, if programming mode is requested (button pressed), RCFS-V2 waits up to 250mS for a valid R/C pulse to be detected. If a valid R/C signal is not found, it aborts the programming mode as a precaution. Unfortunately, the Berg DSP based receiver takes almost 1.5 seconds to boot. During this time it does not send valid R/C pulses. I think they eventually reduced this long boot delay because it caused user problems in some situations.

The Berg Rx does need the RCFS-V2 since it already has glitch filtering. However, if you wanted to use RCFS, it could be programmed on it if you did this: Turn on Tx. Apply power to the Berg Rx. Wait at least 2 secs. Plug in RCFS into the Berg Rx while pressing the programming button. Program per the instructions.

Rc-cam man,

I am wondering, if I were to build a PCB with 8 of the RCFS v-2 circuits, could I connect them all to the same programming button to allow you to program all the circuits at once. (obvously assuming they are to be programmed to the same setting)

Thanks

Ben Mitchell

... could I connect them all to the same programming button to allow you to program all the circuits at once. (obvously assuming they are to be programmed to the same setting).

I expect programming would still function.