Sign in to follow this  
Jasper

BW video transmitter setup

I'd just like to start by saying what a great site this is! I only stumbled across it recently and have gained so much inspiration from it already :).

I'm currently setting up my first Wireless camera setup and was hoping to run a few questions by you all.

My setup will be as follows:

Blackwidow 600Mw 5V TX / 12V RX

KPC650 High Res 12V camera

14Dbi patch antenna

2S (7.2V) 800Mah Lipo Battery

DC-DC Boost Switch Regulator (for camera)

DC-DC Buck Voltage Regulator (for transmitter)

See attachment for simplified transmitter configuration.

The KPC650 will be interchangeable with a Digital still camera for Aerial Photography so the Boost Regulator will be attached directly to the KPC650.

Can anyone give me some advice on how well this would work and provide me with options for the voltage regulators? I would like to get the best possible picture, without any noise.

Thanks in advance!

Jasper.

post-5-1147063444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasper

Ugg... 2 switch mode psu's !

Have you thought of using a 3 cell LiPo and ust the 1 regulator ?

If you dont like that idea you will just have to wait and see if you get interference and deal with it then.

Good Luck

Terry

Edited by Terry

Yeah I was a little hesitant with this setup too. I'd really like to keep weight to a minimum with a 2S, but if it means sacrificing video quality then I'll go with a 3S.

Don't forget the components' power requirements will be the same regardless of what battery voltage you use... so if you use a 3s pack you'll be able to use a smaller capacity for the same running time -> same weight ;)

Otherwise, I think the 14dBi gain panel is too much, unless you want to go ultra-far... Not needed with 600mW power at the other end, but you'll still have to point it to the plane, which is a bit annoying...

Thanks Kilrah.

Since I'm running the ESC/motor of a 3S pack I think I might power the camera off that and have a seperate 2S pack for the transmitter with a single regulator.

Does this sound like a more viable option?

I'll be using the setup in heavily built up areas so was thinking that a powerfull directional antenna would help cut through interference from various wireless networks. I guess my motto has always been too much is better than not enough.

Well, ESC's are some of the greatest interference generators out there, I've stopped trying to share a battery for flight and video quite some time ago...

They do the same as your little switching supplies, but with several amps and all what goes with it.

OK for the antenna in built areas, might be better. I've never been able to run a good video link around buildings, so be sure to post results ;)

So what's the best regulator to take a 3S down to 5V for my transmitter?

I'm just going to run with a 5V camera off the transmitter for now.

I've used a LM2675-5.0.

Someone seemed to say he had had good results with this one too...

Thanks for all your help Kilrah. Much appreciated :)

I'll look into the LM2675-5.0 and let you know how it all pans out.

sorry people, I'm having trouble tracking down a decent store that sells single units of these regulators. Digi-Key had them for $4.00 each but then wanted me to pay $36 for shipping! :o

Do you already have the camera? if not I suggest you to buy a 5V cam. With a 5V tx and a 5V cam, it's the perfect setup for aerial video.

I use the 5V reg LM2940T , but I found it only at Digikey...

With 3S lipo, why not buy a standard 7805 regulator, you can find it everywhere.

I use an electric plane with one 2S lipo onboard, with 5V 500mW tx and 5V cam. The regulator heat a lot, but with the wind it's ok. http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1084

In your case, with a 600 mW and a 3S, it will heat too much, unless you have a very good heatsink, I think it will not work :blink:

If you have already the 12V cam and the buck reg., try it before buying another regulator. Every setup is different, it could work well with only adding standard filtering capacitor at the input and output (100uF to 1000uF).

Denis

Edited by Vrflyer

Thanks Denis,

I'm sticking with the 5V TX and camera for now but want to upgrade to the 12V in the future.

I'm not a fan of the standard regulators due to their heat and inefficiency. I'm still trying to track down a LM2675-5.0.

There seems to be many options for the one LM2675-5.0, such as

LM2675M-5.0

LM2675MX-5.0

LM2675N-5.0

LM2675-5.0EVAL

LM2675-5.0MDC

LM2675-5.0MWC

LM2675M-ADJ

ARGHH, which one do I get?! Please excuse my ignorance :blink:

Difference is the package.

You might want either the -N (DIP) or -M (SOIC) depending on how you want to make your board. Check this page:

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2675.html

Click on the package names to see how they look like.

You can even order free samples, forgot that NI offered that too. That might be your source :)

Ahh I see!

So does that mean that the only pre made board is the EVAL?

And where did you see free samples? NI? My ears always prick up when I hear "free" ;)

Evaluation board usually means you have a board to put on your lab table in order to make measurements and see whether the device suits you. Difficult to know it it's of usable size as is.

Free samples - Just check on that page above, there are blue buttons marked "24hr samples" next to the parts.