Sign in to follow this  
Steve-S

Pencam troubles

After butchering my Pencam 1.3SD I decided to make sure I bought the correct one to reduce the chance of operator error. :rolleyes: I performed the mod and it appeared to work fine. I took 26 shots from the plane today however and notice an odd intererence pattern. Not being electricaly inclined I dont' know what's causing it. I posted a good sample pic & a short description on the web at My Webpage and was wondering if y'all could take a look and let me know what you think might be causing it. Some of the shots were at full throttle but most were at idle. Engine is a GMS .32 on a downsized stick clone. The shutter triggering circuitry appears to work like a champ. I took a pic with the camera out of the plane and it that photo showed no inteference. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I couldn't tell from your photo what the image was suppose to be of (looks like carpet to me), so I really can't comment on the "circles."

However, crooked trees, distorted lines, and other weird artifacts are due to excessive motion. With CMOS digital cameras, you must idle the model's motor and maintain smooth slow flight or you will get odd jaggy photos. It is a common issue with CMOS cameras. Glow models are tough camera platforms to use with the Aiptek.

Here are some samples of the possible distortions if you have vibration or excessive motion during the snapshot: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread....&threadid=96069

That's precisely the reply I got to a similar post on the SPADworld forum. I'm going to try and shock mount the engine to reduce vibrations some. The cam is held on with velcro so that might be making it worse by providing a 'hinge' for it to wobble on. I'll put some foam around it and secure it better and see if that helps also. I might end up putting my HP 612 in there with a servo stuck to it. :-) I really do not want to risk that camera though as I've seen some of my landings. :D