Sign in to follow this  
Juaninamillion

A Few bucks and a PATCH ANTENNA later...

Hello to all on this my first post!

I want to start by thanking the manager(s) of this website for superb content and for exemplifying the seemingly more and more rare and precious quality of open and greed-free distribution of knowledge and expertise!

I recently entered the addicting and wonderful world of RC video with a HobbyZone "AeroBird Extreme" park-flyer and a cheap e-bay camera. I was frustrated with the results until I came upon your eloquent description of antennas and how they function.

Excitedly, I ran off to the nearest Radio Shack and hardware store and bought the parts needed for a Patch Antenna. I followed the directions 'to the T' including the conversion factor needed to create an antenna adequate for the frequency of my Tx. WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I was blown away! I also had fun building it, seeing as I'm a freak like that!

Anyway, THANKS A MILLION. I am one happy little hobbyist!

Hello Mr. RC-Cam,

I was thinking to build a patch antenna not for a wireless video RX but for a wireless Access Point.

The issue I have is that the patch antenna can't fit directly on the AP connector and a cable must be used.

If I'm using a 50ohm high-quality cable with connectors at both ends, will the antenna gain suffer? Would it be better to solder the cable directly to the antenna instead?

Thank you.

Serban

If I'm using a 50ohm high-quality cable with connectors at both ends, will the antenna gain suffer? Would it be better to solder the cable directly to the antenna instead?

The net gain of the antenna system will be reduced by whatever losses your feedline has. Unless it is huge diameter microwave rated stuff, you can assume about 0.6dB per foot at 2.4Ghz. Soldering will not not help since properly install SMA connector losses are negliable.