Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Inspire OSD System with GPS Telemetry

I do have the flash cable. Any chance 115.2K could be implemented?Unfortunately, I can't change the baud rate on the EB-45A to below 38.4K. I'm not sure why the config software won't allow it. Still waiting to hear back from Sparkfun about that. I have connected the U-blox and Garmin 5HZ modules to the Inspire without any problems.

According to its documentation, the EB-85A should be able to support down to 4800 baud. Before we go further, please verify that the GPS will work correctly with Inspire at 19.2K and lower.

In regards to 115.2K baud, the Inspire hardware can support it. But the bit rate is too high for the application code. Inspire has many things to do; if it is held hostage with handling the high serial bit rates, the other tasks will suffer. Frankly, it will be a stretch to go beyond the typical baud rates.

BTW, what Inspire s/w version do you have?

Ok, got it working at 4800 and 9600. Looks like the default is 38400 on startup. The inspire software version I have is "Rev:D0" as per the sticker on the RF shield.

Ok, got it working at 4800 and 9600.

Good. But, does it work at 19.2K?

The inspire software version I have is "Rev:D0" as per the sticker on the RF shield.

That is the hardware revision. The software version is posted on the screen during boot-up. V3.3 supports the flash feature. Is that what you have?

Software version 3.3. The GPS doesn't support 19.9K baud rate as per the datasheet. Only 4800/9600/38400/57600/115200.

That is good. What update rate does the GPS provide when 38.4K baud is selected? What baud is needed for 5Hz updates when the three required NMEA sentences are enabled and all others are disabled?

Great. That will be the max baud rate that I'll add. Please pm me your email address so that I can send the special hex file and flash instructions to you (later this week). No promises that it will work, but my fingers will be crossed that you report success.

It's now 2016 and the ground breaking Inspire OSD turned 10 years old this year. It's amazing how far along hobby OSD technology has come since then. Actually, it seems like most of the FPV gear we play with today is more advanced than some of the expensive military drone technology from then. It will be interesting to see what the hobby drone market gives us during the next 10 years. :)

For those new to the hobby, the Inspire name you know is not the Inspire I am talking about. Ten years ago it was a revolutionary hobby/professional OSD product for video photography, not a fancy looking drone made by a Chinese company. We didn't even permit the use of the "drone" term back then; Until very recent (late 2015) "drone" was a bit of a FPV N-word. How things have changed!

How times have changed!

I must say I don't like the term drone, I'm not even over keen on FPV. Drone makes my think of big unmanned aircraft that the military shoot at and FPV makes me think of video games. I prefer to say camera plane/copter for aerial photography of video plane/copter with no stills camera.  There were some great bits of kit developed at the time including the Inspire, sadly now that its gone plug and play it doesn't interest me. I had a look at some of my first videos the other day and was remembering how excited I was to see a grainy black and white image from my plane flying 100ft away!

Terry

I must say I don't like the term drone ...

I had a hard time accepting "drone" when talking about the multirotor hobby. The tipping point for me was when professional drone racing appeared last year. The positive press and public excitement was a welcome change.

It seems to me that we hobbyist have the opportunity to change the meaning of drone and erase its military origins. Our spoken language is full of words that used to mean something totally different. For example, the word "nice" used to mean foolish or silly. I'm beginning to see that the D-word has the chance of being converted into a modern nice term too.

I had a look at some of my first videos the other day and was remembering how excited I was to see a grainy black and white image from my plane flying 100ft away!

It is less exciting nowadays because it is so easy to do. But it's still awesome. Speaking of grainy B&W images, here's a video from my first wireless camera system I tried back in the late 1990's (Concept 30 R/C helicopter, 430MHz ham ATV video link):  http://www.rc-cam.com/avi/heli_cam.mpg

My ATV system didn't have sound either. The nitro motor noise came from the Concept 30 heli but was added in post processing. Everything was harder back then. :)