Some years ago I was lent a set of Virtual IO i-glasses for a while and they were interesting to play with but not use for any real length of time because I found them too bulky and became uncomfortable.

For remote viewing of a camera on my RC car I've got my eye on some of those iTheater glasses which were released this year because they're small/lightweight/run off 2x AAs and have a 200:1 contrast ratio, but they're only 320x240 res.

What LCD glasses have you got/used and what would you reccomend for camera viewing?

I've used Sony PLM-A35, Olympus FMD-200, and a few more of these relatively cheap ones. Now I use a Sony PLM-S700 for myself.

If it's just for fun 320x240 is OK. If you really want to get seriously into this forget that and go for at least 640x480.

Never tested those you linked, but they seem fairly expensive to me for this resolution.

It's just for fun so 320x240 is fine because my main intention is for remote camera viewing, if I were getting them for watching videos from my Archos PMP I'd save up for some 640x480 res ones, but as they're just a toy I can't justify spending $550+ on some 640x480's when the newer smaller form factor 320x240's can be had for half that.

The Virtual IO glasses were expensive but they're 10 years old now and there's always a few pairs on eBay at any one time but I wouldn't ever buy some even if they are going very cheap.

The i-Theater ones appeal to me because they sit on your face like glasses rather than on your head like an immersive VR unit. Apart from those the Icuiti V920 are similar in size but 640x480 which I'd like but can't realistically afford.

Sorry, I was actually meaning the i-theater ones, not the VirtualIO. You can find either 640x480 for the same price, or 320x240 for cheaper.

Ah, you can find 640x480 ones for $275? that's the cheapest I've found the i-theater ones for and am very tempted to buy.

Okay, forget what I've said then. I googled them and only found between $450-500. I got my 800x600 PLM-S700 for half of this... :unsure:

$275 is totally correct.

Edited by Kilrah

Hi Kilrah,

I am very interested in video-googles with 800x600 resolution for cheap price. Your Sony Glasstron PLM-S700 sound very interessting. Do you know a retailer who accepts paypal and sends to europe?

Greets,

Marcus

Sony stopped manufacturing them back in 2000, so there's no way to find them except second-hand. There are some on e-bay sometimes, even if it's getting pretty rare.

I bought mine from a friend, which indeed helped for the low price ;)

-AT-Kilrah

Ok, I understand.... ;c)

I hope I can find a similar fair price.... :blink:

ebay_link

And a last question for now... how significant is the difference between 320x240; 800x225 and finally 800x600? Seems most glasses offer only 800x255?

Greets,

Marcus

Edited by fallenangel3k

The 800x225 resolution a lot of glasses are quoted as being at are actually a marketing con, in reality they're only the equivilant of 266x225 because the 800 pixel number quoted is actually 266*3 (red pixel+green pixel+blue pixel).

A lot of the pixel count numbers quoted in LCD glasses descriptions are all over-inflated, if you see a description that says 180,000 pixels it's actually 266x225 resolution display (3*266*225), the same goes when say 1.44 million pixels because that's just an 800x600 resolution display (3*800*600)

Just ordered myself some iTheater glasses from an eBay seller, cost £116 (about $214) with postage, thankfully the seller is in Europe and not Hong Kong/America/Canada so there's zero chance of paying any import duties. Which is nice.

On Sunday I got a JP Easy Pigeon powered glider and as I had all the bits necessary I took it for a fly, it was my first time flying and the first flight did the a-typical thing of landing in a tree within 5 seconds! no damage whatsoever and the next two runs went well. But took it out yesterday and the wind was too much and it crashed :( should be able to fix it ok and it made me realise I have to get back on the PC sim and stick to ground vechicles for the time being ;)

Is it easier to fly RC planes from first person perspective with a camera setup than it is in third person perspective?

The wind is way too strong in the UK at the moment.

Terry

Is it easier to fly RC planes from first person perspective with a camera setup than it is in third person perspective?

Each one have advantage and disadvantage, I prefer FPV :)

I got the i-Theater LCD glasses this morning and have been playing with them throughout the day, very nice and compact but noticed on my set the corner of left eye piece looked inversed like when you look at an LCD screen from an acute angle, to help fix this I physically swapped the LCD panels over and this evened things out and it looks better.

The actual lenses to magnify the tiny (looked like 4mm x 5mm in size) LCD panels appeared to be made of plastic, the screens are completely in focus with no distortion but the lenses cause a little ghosting.

All in all I'm quite pleased with them, not so hot watching films on them but I bought them for remote camera viewing and for that task they work great, I'm not looking to get a higher quality set anytime soon because to make it worthwhile I'd have to spend a lot of money to gain a high quality image.

Just annoyed the RC mini monster truck I was going to stick the wirelesss camera on broke yesterday and I've got to wait ~10 days for the replacement part. I'll have to wire the camera to another car in the meantime.

I bought 2 pairs of the I-glasses from Ebay Germany a while back. They were brand new but a discontinued model of the I-Glasses Video with resoultion of 800x600 and they work very well indeed. It is not digital picture quality but for what we are doing they are great. I paid about $100 ea from a "Drop Shop" seller. My folks live in England and I had them shipped there for cheap. Dad sent one pair over and I will be picking the other pair up in 3 weeks when over. Like these.

Edited by Canada Goose

Do you realise just how lucky you are to get those two (TWO!) sets of i-Glasses HRV's that cheap? I was so annoyed when I discovered I'd missed out on getting some for 99 Euros by about a week or so. They go for 3x the price now...

I've got a CMOS camera stuck to my RC car and have been driving it around in FPV, I temporarily hot-glued the broken diff casing, and it's great fun but discovered a couple of bad points of my i-Theater glasses;

You can't use them in sunlight/bright light because any light reflecting off your face back into the lenses causes the image to darken and flicker, very weird but I'm buying a device for £1.50 which will almost eliminate that, a baseball cap :D

The 2nd is that I tried running the car+cam indoors and it was fairly dark, I coulnd't see anything on my i-Theater glasses but on my portable DVD player with an AV receiver attached I could just about see the image. The i-Theater glasses have crushed blacks, ie any incoming brightness level below a certain point will just show as black and this is somewhat annoying because there's no brightness or contrast adjustment on them. But I'll be getting a CCD camera to stick on the RC car soon and that should help because it'll be much better in low light conditions.

The i-Theater glasses are almost ideal for playing around with FPV cams etc. (provided you have a baseball cap for outside ;) ) but not very good for films/tv because it's low res and if you send a black image to it it looks grey, it won't go completely black, widescreen films in letterbox mode have grey bars on the top/bottom.

Hello everybody,

there is a new version of the Innovatek/Auvisio HMD's....

see this ebay-link for example LINK

I got my for about 270 Euros. It has a better wearability comfort and total different electronics/control. Resolution is 922.000-pixels respective 640x480x3.

Compared to the old ones with 230000 pixels this one is a real beauty and only costs 100 Euro more! I can suggest it to everyone who do not want to spend 600+ Euros on a similar device and does not have luck with a cheap bid at ebay for the other models as me...

Get it at PEARL

Greets,

Marcus

For using my iTheater glasses in the sun I glued a piece of cloth to the peak of the cheap baseball cap, it now looks like a duck's bill and blocks out most of the light when used with the glasses, works brilliantly.

I just won bidding on an Olympus EyeTrek FMD-200PS today for £58 delivered, I bid because it was a cheap price and also very curious to see what other comparable LCD glasses are like, lower resolution than the iTheater and may end up selling them back on eBay if I don't like them much.

Edited by Haku

Cool! I've used FMD-200s, curious to hear about the comparison :)

My friends (and their friends who were there at the time) were very impressed with my iTheater glasses combined with the camera on my RC car. I'm thinking that if I have two sets of LCD glasses it means double the fun ;)

The Olympus FMD-200PS glasses arrive Monday so I'll be doing a lot of testing that day, and fixing my RC car (again, the center diff needs locking) in the meantime.

Sure, people usually also want a go at it with the goggles, not only watching on a "stupid" standard monitor.

I've kept a PLM-A35 set (same quality as the FMD200) next to my S700 for that matter. I'm preparing a plane that will be equipped with 2 independent cameras/transmitters, each mounted on a pan/tilt assembly, with the 2 sets of goggles each having a head tracker. Of course with 2 R/C transmitters, so they can even have a go at flying the airplane :)

Some demo tool intended to try attracting more people into FPV flying :D

Edited by Kilrah

Never tried, but they look nice. I'm curious to know if they are usable for FPV flight.