Sign in to follow this  
jkondis

Cheap Patches on Fry's Outpost.com

I thought folks here might be interested in this: outpost.com is selling 6dB (85 degree BW) patch antennas for Wi-Fi for 10.26 (as of today, May 22). They are made with connectors for an Apple Airport Extreme connection (I dunno, it looks like RP SMA to me), but you can cut the connectors off. It's made by Hawking. No idea what the cable impedance is (it looks like RG-174), but my initial tests on a purchased unit show good gain and directionality. Search for it, other places charge $30-$50 for this part.

Nothing against the GP patch, but this one may be a cheap timesaver! (Just replace the connector.) To find it, go to outpost.com, and search for HAI6SDA.

I'm providing this information as-is, and FWIW, only! I do not represent Fry's, Outpost.com, nor Hawking.

Cheers.

Well it looks like outpost no longer carries these. I guess they sold off the last of their stock (can't even find haisda on their site anymore). They still have a pc ver. for 20 bones, but it just ain't the same. ;)

I've got few and they look great. I found no significant sensitivity loss vs open air patch - but probably they have smaller angular 3db width vs open air patch.

Thanks for the lead!

BTW, I found an easy way to conver RP connector to regular SMA: use the central wire of RG141 (rigid coax) to make central pin. The wire is silver plated and is of the exact diameter of the SMA signal pin. Cut short piece of the wire and put a bit of solder on it. Then insert into RP SMA hole and heat it up with the solder iron - it will weld itself into RP connector and make a regular style SMA connector.

Edited by cyber-flyer