Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Texas Instruments MSP430 development Kit

I attended a Texas Instruments seminar today on the MSP430 microcontrollers. This chip family has been around for a few years, but I have not paid any attention to them. However, things are getting interesting.

They have added many new parts to the family and now offer a $20 development system. With it you get a real time debugger, C-language and assembly-language compilers, and a tiny 14-pin microcontroller based board (with internal 16-bit A/D!). It appears to me that it can be used to develop a variety of R/C related gadgets. It looks like a perfect host for a barometric altimeter or RCAP type design.

More details: http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/landing/ez430t...=Other+OT+ez430

tool_usb.gif

The eZ430-F2013 development tool is on sale for $15 until Oct 2006.

www.designmsp430.com

PIC programming looks like a very interesting field of electronics/computing that I'd probably find fun, the stuff you guys have been doing with the servo controlling etc. is quite admirable.

Is this Texus Instruments development kit a PIC programmer or something similar to it?

"PIC" is the name of the microcontroller family sold by Microchip semi. The "MSP430" is a member of a microcontroller family sold by Texas Instr. If you visit the MSP link you can gather a lot of good info on it.