Sign in to follow this  

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask, I need to get hold of CCD cameras that power off 5v but keep hitting a brick wall because virtually all the ones I can find run off 12v only, or if they do run off 5v they're absurdly expensive.

If anyone knows where I can buy PAL & NTSC 5v CCD cameras, please let me know where.

I don't know. Many ccd cam have a voltage regulator, they work in fact on 5V, some regulator are easy to find (7805), so I jump the input and output. I power the cam with the 5V regulated that come from the Felsweb tx regulator. Cmos regulator are easy to find, CCd regulator are harder to bypass. I dammaged cam by trying this, so be carefull.

Edited by Vrflyer

Vrflyer, I've successfully removed the 5v voltage regulator on 4 different designs of CMOS cameras but only have one CCD camera so far, a bullet camera and checking with a multimeter found that it actually runs on 8v.

I'm going to have to get some other designs of CCD cameras and see if they can be hacked to run off 5v or have a low enough power consumption to run off the 5v source I'm using upconverted to 12v.

Kilrah, I was hoping to find some 5v CCD cameras for about half that price, with enclosures.

There's a version with case too. But I indeed can't advise about the price, never really seen any other 5V CCD's.

Vrflyer, I've successfully removed the 5v voltage regulator on 4 different designs of CMOS cameras but only have one CCD camera so far, a bullet camera and checking with a multimeter found that it actually runs on 8v.

That's great.

Me too it's the only 5V ccd cam that I know. I have also cam that will work on 8V but not less, I was thinking perhaps a voltage reg. is there, but it's look it's not the case :(

And ccd cam become rare, cmos cam are so cheap.

Do you know Supercircuits? their catalogue have a great choice, some cam are not expensive at all, but 99% work on 12V. Check on-line store if you had not already check it. They sold also the same 5V cam we talk here at $89.95.

On the photo it's look like the older version, but I doubt, they probably sell the newest version, the same as Black Widows.

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=4280

(I think they sold only NTSC cam)

In the description they said it run on 12V, but I know it work on 5V, perhaps they had a voltage reg. in the wire so it can be use on standard securiy system.

Edited by Vrflyer

This is the one I have: http://www.ktnc.co.kr/product_08_07.asp You can't buy direct from them though. Supercircuits may have this one, but I bought mine elsewhere. If I can find the link to it, I'll post it up.

BTW, I believe this is the same camera as BlackWidow's "KX-131".

Edited by twinturbostang

Yep, might indeed be the cased KX131. Do you maybe have a bit of footage or still capture? That camera has a so particular image it's easy to recognise it ;)

Certainly. We can even recognise that naughty diode ;)

This looks like the uncased KX131 :)

Edited by Kilrah

Kilrah, you are right about the diode- I didn't see the backside image until you've mentioned it.

Looking through PC adjustable parameters for the KX-141 camera I found one that says backlight compensation - has anybody tried switching it on/off?

I am looking for the camera that can artificialy darken the sky but leave the ground portion in regular brightness - do you know of any?

I remember reading an ad about new wave of CCD cameras that can automaticaly dim bright background but I don't have a link. I wonder if KX-141 is smart enough to do it.

Edited by cyber-flyer

I am looking for the camera that can artificialy darken the sky but leave the ground portion in regular brightness - do you know of any?

The obsolete Panasonic CX-161 had BLC. It did a decent job.

Seems indeed there are quite a few adjustable parameters, like on many of these little cams by the way. The little problem is that I've never found any documentation on how to set them... OK there's an I2C interface, but what to send in there?

Maybe you might get an answer writing to the manufacturer...

The usual BLC behavior is that it will overexpose the image in order for you to see the dark parts well, which will result in white background. Never seen any that would then artificially darken the resulting white... my camcorder behaves the same too :unsure:

The KX131 does a very good job here too.

Seems indeed there are quite a few adjustable parameters, like on many of these little cams by the way. The little problem is that I've never found any documentation on how to set them... OK there's an I2C interface, but what to send in there?

Maybe you might get an answer writing to the manufacturer...

The usual BLC behavior is that it will overexpose the image in order for you to see the dark parts well, which will result in white background. Never seen any that would then artificially darken the resulting white... my camcorder behaves the same too :unsure:

The KX131 does a very good job here too.

kilrah,

If you go here, at the bottom of the page you will see software that just might do what you want. The camera, although obsolete, did have similar features and interface.

http://rock2000.com/Company/Panasonic_Indu...al/GP-CX171.htm

Good luck!

Software crahses as soon as launched for me... I guess it might try to use some direct I/O XP doesn't accept anymore...

I am not sure if the regular BLC will do it. I still can't find the link but from what I remember it was a two board camera with "advanced DSP" which said that dark and white portions of the image were separated, processed separately, and then superimposed to make an image which is much more uniform in brightness. In the example shown was a person standing against a bright background. The person was dark, the background was bright - but after the processing the image looked much better. Of course it could have been just a marketing spin on old BLC, but may be not. The price wasn't bad, but the bad thing I can't remember where I saw it.

BTW, I am flying helicopter B) using KX-131 and it doesn't compensate enough for me. It's much easier for me to fly away from the sun than toward it. The difference is big enough that I want to try something better. :unsure:

Software crahses as soon as launched for me...

I had the same problem with this software.

I did little bit more poking and I believe the buzz word is "Wide Dynamic Range"

Link below will give you an idea even though it's not the one I saw before:

http://www.securitycameraworld.com/63w3_Su...amic_Camera.htm

And sorry for hijacking the thread - it's not 5v camera.

Edited by cyber-flyer

Here's the link to the camera I bought: http://www.digitalssinc.com/store/index.ph...roducts_id=2054

Kilrah: I do have some video footage. I will have to edit some together for you to look at though. It looks very similar to the second part of your Granges_2002_2005_1300.wmv video. Also looks the same as some video by a guy that goes by "lvspark" on RCuniverse and RCGroups.

Nice!

Yes, it indeed really looks like it. What's the plane? It seems very stable!

Edited by Kilrah

GWS E-Starter. It actually can be much better than that. Due to the added weight of the camera system (and location of the weight), it's very tail heavy right now. And this is the first time I've ever done any mixing (rudder and camera pan). So I'm still working on that stuff. I've got to do some more rudder trimming. Right now it wants to slip to the left.

Edited by twinturbostang

I won a 5v CCD camera off eBay yesterday very cheap, not sure what make it is (Panasonic?) but it's a 0.2 LUX 350 line 1/4" CCD board camera. Very much looking forward to trying it out, especially in low light because the lowest LUX camera I have is a 0.5 LUX Sony CCD bullet camera.