Sign in to follow this  
philthyy

Landing FPV!

Well, I finally worked up the courage to land FPV with my Slow Stick. I brought my plane to a huge field where there are paved roads in for a subdivision but no houses yet. This was the first time I've flown anywhere except for my house, as I didn't have any way of viewing my flights when away from 120 VAC. I was about to buy a converter but thought maybe I could try using the 7 inch LCD screen in my minivan (DVD player) It worked very nicely! It was a dead calm, beautiful day, and I was really enjoying the new scenery and flying out over the lake and seeing the boats crusing around. On my approach, the plane was flying so nicely that I decided, "What the heck, I'll try it!" and landed the plane by video alone! Perfectly! So there I was out in this field by myself, hooting and hollering and dancing around gleefully...Man that was so awesome! I've since landed by FPV four more times, and the rush hasn't yet lessened...I don't think it ever will. I just had to share this with everybody....

I could try using the 7 inch LCD screen in my minivan (DVD player) It worked very nicely!

Happy to heard that, more you will fly, easier it will become. Sit inside a minivan is a dream with air conditionner, cold drinking :) and you can bring a lot of equipement

Oh, I definitely will fly more now! I can't wait to take the plane to new and interesting flying sites! I'm thinking later this week I'll bring it to my brothers house. He lives out in the country, with a lot of lakes and ponds and streams right behind his house. That should make for some interesting flying! I still plan on buying a converter so I can use a big monitor in my van, but for now the 7 inch LCD works fine. I can't wait till I can finally buy a KX131 and get a really good clear image...

Cool, congrats! :)

It's indeed not difficult, but the only thing is to have the guts for the first try. I did my first FPV landing at the very beginning, but I had someone backing me up with a second TX, so that sounded safe to me.

That was very different about flying FPV on my own with my foamy last summer. I had taken it with me when going to holiday, flown a lot, but didn't dare trying FPV with it. A few days after coming back I had the exact same "what the heck?!" impression and went for it, that was the first time I had no backup. Result? Same, coming back jumping all around, and then flying 25 mins every day for the next month, regretting I hadn't tried earlier, and also taking that easy to transport thing everywhere I could :lol:

Seems pretty similar, eh? ;)

Yup, sounds just like me! I am thinking something like an IFO would be really neat for FPV because its so slow and manuverable. I could really fly low and cruise around obstacles. That would be fun! The weather here in Michigan has been perfect for flying the last couple days, totally calm and partly sunny(except for a couple late day showers) I have a Co-Pilot that I haven't used on anything yet, and am thinking I might put it on the Slow Stick. And someday get the MAHI too...that would really be helpful for FPV flying.