Sign in to follow this  
ebayrcer

Which PIC is a replacement for 12C508/9?

Mr. RC-Cam (or anyone else who knows the answers to these questions),

I. The prospect of *FREE* appeals very much to me, and since Microchip no longer offers free samples of 12C508A, I am considering using a 12F508 for future projects (LOMA for example), since Microchip does offer free samples of the 12F508 line. The problem that I am faced with, is which PIC will work in place of 12C508/9A? Here are the three (free sample eligible) variants:

PIC12F508-I/MS

PIC12F508-I/P (direct replacement for 12C508A-04/P?)

PIC12F508-I/SN

II. On a side note, I recently took on the CamManSD project but am having problems with getting the shutter to fire. I soldered PIC pin 3 to the very top-right corner of the shutter button SMT (proper nomenclature?) where it says S2, but noticed that in Mr. RC-Cam's pics of object A, it appears that the wire was soldered to the lower-right corner.

See this side-by-side comparison (the yellow line in the pic on the right is a representation of the location to which I soldered the wire) for an idea of what I am talking about.

III. Furthermore, I am getting "Err" on the LCD when I try to use my 256MB SD card, but have no problems using my 512MB SD card. What's even more bizarre, is that the 256MB SD works fine in my Aiptek MPVR! Anyone else have the same issue?

* If any of these three questions (as denoted by Roman Numerals) are not appropriate for this sub-forum, I apologize and could someone direct me to which section of the forum *would* be most appropriate for posting in, and moving said questions to? *

Again, thanks for the help!

- ebayrcer -

I. Any of those should work in the place of a PIC12C508 or PIC12C508A series. But, be sure you like the package size; some of those choices are quite small. There is a PIC12F509 available too.

II. The top corner is not the correct place. Follow the project photo.

III. Install fresh batteries. Make sure the memory card's lock switch is off. Then format it using the camera's instructions. If that does not help, then try formatting the card in a PC card reader, then format it in the camera. Beyond that, I suspect the card is not compatible with the SD.

I resoldered the shutter switch wire (the one which goes to S2 on the cam), this time to the exact spot shown in the picture. I still am unable to trip the shutter using the CamMan circuit. Here are the readings I am getting from my voltmeter:

PIN1 = 3.52V+

PIN2 = 0.0V+ (no voltage)

PIN3 = 0.0V+ (no voltage)

PIN4 = 0.26

PIN5 = 3.52V+ (as with PIN1)

PIN6= 3.46V+ (as with PIN1)

PIN7= 3.46V+ (as with PIN1)

PIN8= N/A (GND)

Furthermore, the shutter will not activate when I jump PIN3 and PIN4 together (usual shutter activation).

My first question: Shouldn't PIN3 by itself (without the jumper wire connected b/w it and S2 (shutter switch pad) show a voltage reading (meaning that it is getting + from the PIC and not the cam's USB power)? Or does the shutter switch in fact derive its power from the cam's USB power?

My second question: Is it possible to fry just one pin on a PIC while the rest remain unharmed? If so, then I guess I will simply have to wait until my free PIC samples get here (at least 2 weeks from now, bummer, oh well...) to retry soldering the PIC connections.

Oh and btw Mr. RC-Cam, the 256MB SD card is now working again, after formatting it in the MPVR. I saw your post in rcgroups re: the MPVR, did you end up getting one?

Thanks again,

- ebayrcer -

... the shutter will not activate when I jump PIN3 and PIN4 together (usual shutter activation).

That would not activate the shutter. Jumping Pin-3 and Pin-8 should.

Shouldn't PIN3 by itself (without the jumper wire connected b/w it and S2 (shutter switch pad) show a voltage reading (meaning that it is getting + from the PIC and not the cam's USB power)?

There will be no voltage on this pin with the S2 wire disconnected.

Is it possible to fry just one pin on a PIC while the rest remain unharmed?

That is completely possible. However, I will say that 99.99% of the time, the problem is not due to a damaged PIC. From helping others with their rc-cam project bugs, I see that it is mostly a PIC burn error (often FUSE related) or a basic wiring issue. To help with the latter, post clear photos of your work.

I saw your post in rcgroups re: the MPVR, did you end up getting one?

Yes, picked one up within a couple days of that post. Works nice as a DVR.

I will have to try jumping pins 3 and 8 but I really do not think it is going to matter, considering that pin 3 is already reading 0 volts. I'll take yet another look at my soldering. As a test, couldn't I hold a jumper wire between S2 and pin 3? Wouldn't that tell me if my problem is a loose solder joint b/w the two ends of the shutter circuit?

Also, did you (Mr. RC-Cam) melt any of the beige colored plastic on the outside of the shutter switch 'housing' (while trying to solder the wire to the S2 pad)? I did, but I'm pretty sure it didn't affect anything, because I can still take pics all day long by manually pressing the shutter button. I'll check everything out and get back to you.

Back to the MPVR, what settings do you use to get the best results? Does yours work great for recording the downlinked video? I bought a Swann Microcam II on eBay last week, so I would like to hook it up to my MPVR and see what the results are. I really just want to experiment with making fun little videos. As long as it works decent, this will suit me for now. Later on though (when I will hopefully have more money to work with), I will probably get a BlackWidow AV solution.

As to the quality of the video, I was somewhat disappointed. Do you know much about video editing, and if you do, can you give me any tips on how/what software to use to get the most out of the ASF video clips the cam creates? For instance, will reencoding them in another format improve the quality at all?

Thanks,

- ebayrcer -

I will have to try jumping pins 3 and 8 but I really do not think it is going to matter, considering that pin 3 is already reading 0 volts.
If jumping Pin-3 to Pin-8 (Gnd) does not take a photo, and pressing S2 does, then your wiring is definitely wrong. Start by verifying that the S2 solder connection is valid and then go from there.

Back to the MPVR, what settings do you use to get the best results?
I've never bothered to check. I just use the default settings. Very good performance for the money, but certainly not Sony digital camcorder quality.

If jumping Pin-3 to Pin-8 (Gnd) does not take a photo, and pressing S2 does, then your wiring is definitely wrong. Start by verifying that the S2 solder connection is valid and then go from there.

I've never bothered to check. I just use the default settings. Very good performance for the money, but certainly not Sony digital camcorder quality.

That did it. Wouldn't you know it, my S2 solder joint was bad. I know becuase I desoldered it, then held the wire firmly against it while I checked the voltage of Pin 3 on the PIC: 3.30V! I resoldered S2 and now it works flawlessly.

Thanks again for the help, Mr. RC-Cam. It's not the first time, and I greatly appreciate it.

As for the MPVR, another really nice feature is that you can record straight from a TV or DVD player/VCR so you can in essence, use it as a portable DVD player (provided that you have an SD card with a large enough capacity). I was able to fit 63 minutes, 28 seconds of a 1 hour, 21 minute movie onto a 512MB card, then picked up where I left off with a 256MB card (for the remaining 18 or so minutes). One thing I noticed about the MPVR, is that the battery power gets used unless you have the cam connected via USB, which sort of sucks. However, Aiptek does sell a power-in adapter on their site for $9.99. Is this completely proprietary and thus, there is no way to make a home design of this component, or it is definitely doable and at a significant reduction in cost?

Happy flying!

- ebayrcer -

P.S. Have you posted any links of your video since buying the MPVR? If so, can you send me some?