Red-Rx7

Just wanted to say thanks...

I just wanted to say thank you to Thomas (Mr.RC-Cam) for all the great work of this site and forum; along with all the personal assistance he has offered as well.

Everywhere I go these days, it seems Mr.RC-Cam gets a google hit. I was on RunRyder the other day, and people were talking about DX6 conversions into JR 9303's. Guess whos name popped up with a solution?

Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks. I have been learning quite a bit, and could not have done it without the website.

Mike

I agree totally. I have learned so much from this site, and have finally been able to do something I've dreamed of since I was a little kid (FPV flight). So I have to chime in with a big THANK YOU to Thomas also!

Not to kiss (_|_) but if it weren't for RC-CAM, Cyber Flyer, Kilrah, Klarich, and Bill at Black Widow, I too would have never achieved my dream. Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate the hard work you all have done.

-dave

Not to kiss (_|_) but if it weren't for RC-CAM, Cyber Flyer, Kilrah, Klarich, and Bill at Black Widow, I too would have never achieved my dream. Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate the hard work you all have done.

-dave

Yes I have to agree but I like to add some more names like VRFlyer, AnthonyRC, Thomas Scherrer, Terry & Mark Harris. I'm glad to be here in Mr.RC-CAM's site, it's given me a starting foundation on not just the FPV but the electronic side to it as well. I still have lots to learn and I feel I am in good company here.

Again thank you Mr.RC-CAM! I know you get these kind of comments on a regular basis but hey.... you put a smile on a lot people's faces & not just in your own back yard, but around the world. :)

John

Yes, while we're all thanking, I had been beavering away at FPV on my own since 2001 (using a mechanical head position approach - cheap, no drift, but a little clunky), but since 2003 had rather lost focus on the most fun part - flying the planes FPV.

Since coming across (yes, of course!) VR Flyer's golf course video, and then this forum, last christmas, my interest has been renewed and fired up no end. Hoorah for the internet, and double hoorah for all the kind folk on this forum who are so helpful and encouraging.

So you are a pionner too!

Do you have photos of your mecanical head tracker?

i would also like to say thanks for keeping the site goin thanks to the site i/ve made my first long distance flight.. the picture is the track record from geko 201

post-13-1177644681_thumb.jpg

Thanks, VR FLyer, but when I came across your video I felt more like a dinosaur!

See attached pic:

Top L, the 'clever bit':

2 potentiometers, one mounted at right angles to the shaft of the other. Mount the bottom one to the middle of your head (staple gun?! although I used a suitable hat): - pan & tilt! Using 5K pots I could just wire them into any transmitter I wanted (in place of the usual control pots). Okay, pretty obvious, really.

The REALLY clever bit is that thin brass strip - 2 strips, bound together by cable ties, with an 'end stop' to stop them pulling apart. Control pots at one end, wide bulldog clip at the other.

Mount pan pot onto mid-point of headgear (helmet, or if you want to easily remove the video goggles, welding mask - which is nice as the position sensing still works with the mask up!).

Now, you push the two strips together to make them short, put on the helmet, tip your head full BACK and clip the clip to your collar. Then, tip your head full FORWARD, extending the brass strip.

Then, when you return to level, the springy brass strip goes to a sort of mid-point on your tilt pot.

Sadly, the only shot I have of it 'in action' is that camera-shook frame bottom right.

I can't tell you how clever I thought this was (and it works well, too, with no drift)... until I saw the RC-Tech head gyro! Worse, because it was a little unwieldly in use, it disuaded me from trying FPV flying - I just gave folks a nice virtual flight, while I flew conventionally.

post-13-1177690764_thumb.jpg

thats quite an ingenious solution to the problem though. it works and doesnt have any need for all the expensive processors and gyros which we all use. very clever!

Can someone post the link to the discussion of how to convert a DX6 to a JR9303? I saw this mentioned here.

Thanks!