Sign in to follow this  
yukonho

Pan Cam works ALMOST perfectly

I just built and installed a pan cam circuit. I used the auto centering option. Everything works very well except....

When I have my endpoints above 85-90% and give full deflection of a stick, the servo rapidly goes to that endpoint and wont stop when I release the stick. (until it hits the endpoint)

And servo travel is fairly slow up until what I described above.

I had a friend program the pic's for me and used the 180 degree servo travel hex file.

Auto centering works perfectly and the speed is proportional (but top speed is only about 1/2 speed) up to the point when the servo flies to the endpoint.

Any suggestions or ideas?? I can live with it as is, just turning down endpoints, but wonder if there is something wrong in the circuit.

Cheers and thanks so much for a cool circuit!

Colin

Edited by yukonho

From your description, you have set the system for Mode 2 rotation. You need to use Mode 1. This is set by the jumper on PIC pin 4 and is described in the project instructions.

Very odd. I really don't have any other suggestions (other than maybe you should check over the wiring one more time). Frankly, I cannot duplicate the problem. In addition, I have not had anyone else report it (PanCam has been around for years).

BTW, I have tried it on JR and Futaba systems, with end points (EPA, ATV, T-ADJ) set at various percentages, all the way to max. I also tried different servos. I just do not experience the problem. I would be interested in seeing the issue, so if possible please post an AVI of it in action (perhaps with the Tx in view of the moving servo so I can see what the stick is doing).

BTW, for a pleasant travel speeds, your end point settings can be reduced. Otherwise, the servo will travel quite fast with heavy stick movements. Most users prefer slow camera pans, so they often dial in reduced end point settings on their Tx. Experimentation will show what is best for your app.

I am quite OK with the speeds that it gives me and the gimbal is quite useable, I may increase high rates a bit if we get this sorted out, but I am happy either way.

One thing that I would like to see on the Pan-Cam is, when you flip the centering switch, that the servos would centre a bit more slowly or ramp up and down to prevent the big jerking motion and what I would guess to be high current draw. I know nothing about pic programming, so I dont know if that would be easy to do or not, just an idea.

I dont know if it makes a difference, but I seem to be having some Rx problems. Anything plugged into channel 4 (roll) glitches badly. I will eliminate the pan cam from the circuit and troubleshoot that problem before doing anything else.

I am using Airtronics RD6000 and RD8000 Tx and currently an older Berg 6. I have several rx's to test.

I will do a little movie, dont know exacly how I will convert it yet (.mov from my camera), never done it, but I think I can figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

Colin

One thing that I would like to see on the Pan-Cam is, when you flip the centering switch, that the servos would centre a bit more slowly or ramp up and down to prevent the big jerking motion and what I would guess to be high current draw.

Recently someone else also requested a slow centering feature. I don't have any immediate plans to add it, but it is on the wish list.

Edit: Please see http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?show...wtopic=1217&hl=

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Today it dawned on me what is going on. I believe you are using the pc9_1.hex file, which is a special version. In contrast to the standard pc1_0.hex file, the 9_1 release has different servo speed ranges and substantially extended travel limits, and no mode-2.

I don't recall why it was requested, but it is setup so that extreme stick deflections kick into full servo speed. That is what you are seeing. In summary, unless limited by the Tx's end point mix, full stick movements will use the servo's full travel speed. Keep in mind that because of its extended travel limits, this version needs to be used with care (many servos will hit the mechanical end stop and stall, which is very bad).

The new V2.0 release (per the link in the prior post) does not have this feature since it is an upgrade of the 1_0 hex file release. That is probably a good thing since it does not sound like something that is all that useful. In the meantime, you can avoid the full speed movement if you continue to use your reduced end point mix setup.