Vrflyer

Good news for Canadian r/c flyers

Few days ago, a men observe me and after landing, he said he was very impressed by my way of flying planes. He said he was the president of the MAAC (Canadian r/c planes association) around 1985. He invite me to come in r/c club, I will meet here a lot of peoples who have a hobby close to mine ...

I answer him that I would like to fly in r/c club, but the MAAC write a new rule few years ago to reject peoples who use video link to fly. He was stunt. After seeing me flying, he said it`s time to change that.

He send a letter to the actual president( a friend…) and many other members, he give them the link to my last video (Bromont) . This is the latest news, when I will know more, I will tell you.

Edited by Vrflyer

Good luck man, It will be great if they change the rule but I think the conflict is much deeper than you think and not up to one club decision.

I believe the ruling has originated from US and Canada just played along. Why?

FAA is poised to create regulations for UAV industry here in US. US's AMA president and people around him are afraid that the new UAV regulations may affect RC hobby if it is perceived to harbor UAV activity. In the worst case the ruling may be very restrictive and may kill RC hobby altogether.

Therefore they prefer to disassociate RC from UAV industry by any means possible and lay low hoping that regulators will not touch amateur community.

It's just my guess but imagine what will happen if Canadian club stirs the pot and makes the first move...

Good luck man, It will be great if they change the rule but I think the conflict is much deeper than you think and not up to one club decision.

I meet the president of all r/c canadian club, and the actual president and other member of MAAC have seen my video yesterday and look favorable. I will meet them soon and made a demonstration, so they will be able to judge. If I play well my card, it will be accepted without buddybox restriction. With my system, I can see oustside and heard around me if people or planes comes to me. And in the planes, I can see all around, I will be able to demonstrate I can stay inside the feild limit, and see other planes around my planes, and see peoples around me on the ground. I'm optimist.

I can not beleive they will consider my Easystar too dangerous, if they already accepted turbines planes .

People at the MAAC are very positive with me. I've talk several times with the retired president, and he told me that the actual president and others member will do everything they can to accomodate me, they want to see me flying inside MAAC clubs. It look clear at first that my planes is not an UAV, beacause it don't have anykind of flight stabilisaton (like RCAP, co-pilot, etc), my planes can not fly by itself, so can not be call unmaned planes. If the r/c ink fail, my planes will crash rapidly, in opposition to a panes with flight stabilisation who wil continue to fly, crossing road, flying over houses and crash like a Skud missile. These kind of planes must be regulated by Transport Canada. My planes is consider a r/c planes with camera, so MAAC have juridiction for this planes.

The actual president said I'm allow to fly inside club , I need only a person beside me who watch the planes with his eye, so the rules of keeping a constant look at the planes is respected. A guys also tell me "technicaly", I can fly solo, because through my headset, I always see the nose, or the wings, so I see the planes... But I doubt about this :)

What is clear, they really want to include FPV flying inside Aeroclub.

The president want to see me flying, he will do several hour of road to come here... He will come in 3-4 weeks. I talk about my big planes(8 pounds), and I don't see problem for now.

Excellent news. Hope it work out for you - I can rely on your example here.

I don’t want to dampen your great news as I see it as maybe the first step in the controlling bodies accepting the growing part of the model aircraft hobby that includes FPV and auto pilot technology. My concern is you say ‘If the r/c ink fail, my planes will crash rapidly, in opposition to a panes with flight stabilisation who will continue to fly, crossing road, flying over houses and crash like a Skud missile.’ From the videos I have seen of FPV flying most seem to fly over roads and houses anyway so crashing like a skud missile would not be good ! In my view planes with flight stabilisation and auto pilot return are many times safer so I see this as a good reason to include such aircraft and not exclude them. I don’t want to make a big deal about this but I just felt I must comment. :unsure: I hope in time we can all be included as a valid branch of the model aircraft hobby. I as always I look forward to your next video. :P

Terry

That's very good news. Here we're lucky not to have any regulation yet, the "pilot must keep eye contact at all times" rule being only expressed for model that require a special authorisation, that is if the weight is over 30kg.

There will be an article presenting FPV flying in our model aircraft association's official magazine in the next issue. I hope that will bring the same interest. A person from the FAI (international aeronautics federation) has already shown interest about it...

The most important point is to prove that you have good knowledge, and that the safety of the system can be as high as with normal flying provided that it's done seriously. There's no major change here, you can already see such idiots on fields flying standard models much more dangerously...

For Terry, I'm pretty sure it's not the "return home" feature that they fear. The hidden reason certainly is that an autonomous plane can very easily be used with bad intentions. But we all agree that those who would want to do that wouldn't be disturbed by a ban...

Edited by Kilrah