Sign in to follow this  
tnt009

Portable system

Hello.

I was wondering how RC-CAM powered his Rx in this project:

http://www.rc-cam.com/fldequip.htm

Did you plug in the power adapter to some sort of external battery?

Or hacked your portable TV power supply and connected RX to TV?

I am trying to get my B/W portable TV and Rx work from same power supply.

I am new to this, so if you have any suggestions, please write in

Layman's terms.

Thanx

It's a 12VDC Gel Cell (5AH to 7AH capacity). It is the same type used to start R/C glow engines. Any good R/C hobby shop would have them. Also available from alarm companies and electronic part distributors. Even Radio Shack.

You can also use high capacity NiCD or NiMH cells. Just use the number of cells and mAH rating to satisfy your equipment requirements.

OK, well my TV uses 8 x 1.2V 2000mAh NiCD batteries, and my Rx uses 9V 500mAh power supply, so I assume that RX has these power requirements.

So my question is, can I solder a linear voltage regulator to my TV to provide some power from these NiCD batteries for my RX?

If your Tv is 9.6V and the wireless Rx is 9V, then I am not sure if a Rx Vreg will add any value at all. If you do use one, it will need to be rated as an "LDO" Vreg.

so, if I do not use a Vreg and solder Rx directly to battery outputs, my Rx would be fine?

Or do I need some circuit to limit my battery's 2000mAh current to Rx's 500mAh?

I can only speculate that the "9V" Rx will operate correctly on the 9.6V battery. I suspect that if you measure the wall adapter, the voltage will be higher than 9V (because the wall adapter is probably not regulated). If this is true, then the higher voltage from the 8-cell battery will surely not cause any harm.

If the Rx is a low end design that has a variable tuning knob, then a Vreg will help reduce the frequency drift as the battery discharges.

The current rating of the power source is not the same thing as the current drawn by the attached electronic circuitry. The current will be essentially the same on the 500mA rated wall adapter as it will be on the 2000mAH battery. It's an Ohm's law issue.