Sign in to follow this  
snooks

helical wound antanna

Its me again folks sorry still on about me wretched swimming pool camera.

Three straight questions

1) Would helical wound aerials you discussed in my previous topic do the job possibly instead of the patch antenna which were unsuccesfull in this instance

2)If the above is no good any place you can buy a diversity receiver in the UK suitable for my video camera reception

3) Is there a preferred frequency range to work with i.e. higher or lower if there is any option

Many thanks for your continuing advice on my project guys

1. The helicals would be better due to the fact that the reflections that are causing your problems would reverse from right hand to left hand as they bounce off the walls or whatever and so would be attenuated greatly by you receiving aerial. Some signals may bounce twice which would change them back to right hand and still be a problem but we hope the distance they travel will help reduce the strength. The other gain is that you can get a more directional helical that will help. Both these things should give you a much better picture. Minimum power I think will still help your situation.

2. I dont know of any in the UK and I am a little sceptical it will work.

3. In the UK you only have the choice of 2.4Ghz to remain legal.

Terry

Seek out circularly polarized antennas with a high front/back ratio and verified circular polarization. Use very low RF power and keep the antennas carefully aligned. However, if either end of your setup is "mobile" (not fixed LOS) then I don't expect that this will offer satisfactory results.

As far as diversity Rx's go, you can operate them as spatial diversity or polarization diversity. I have seen some amazing results from using a properly designed diversity Rx setup in mobile applications.

If the mobile end only moves along the line of the beam then it should work ok,if not I would forget it.

Terry