Hi All

I thought I would create a thread here to blog my progress of my Easy Star FPV setup. I hope no one minds and I also hope this will inspire more Aussies to try this.

My first step will be to setup my Easy Star to video its flights. That way I can iron out any bugs before I start flying FPV. I'm fairly new the RC flight, about 12 months, and I don't have alot of equipment, so I really starting from scratch and will have to buy everythng.

As my ultimate goal is to use Kilrah's VR1000 gryoscopic head tracking system. This will be the last thing I buy, as it's the most expensive part of the whole system. With this in mind I have purchased the Futaba 9C Super Tx, as this will plug straight into the VR1000.

For the video setup, I have ordered the Black Window AV 600mw brown bag kit .

I am yet to buy a recording device, but will probably buy the Aiptek MPVR, as this seems to do a good job for a reasonable price.

The only problem I have at the moment is that there are no Easy Stars in Australia, and won't be for at least another 8 weeks. :( Oh well, it will give me time to get my video setup working right.

I will post pictures here as I make progress, and hopefully will end my blog with my first FPV video. :D I'm really excited about this project.

Edited by OzFlyer

it's great to hear of another Easystar video plane in the making.

At this rate, it's going to be the standard for FPV flying!

The hardest part of using the Easystar is keeping the weight aft.

When I assembled mine, I actualy built the RX and the speed control into the voids in the rear fuselage. Unfortunately, I had some issues and had to go back in and access these parts. That ment I had to cut my way in. I had anticipated this might happen, so I took the precaution of taking a picture of where everything was located, alongside a ruler.

It worked out well. I "keystoned the cuts, so the foam fit back in nicely when I was done. Then I ran a strip of 2" tape along the bottom of the fuselage to tidy everything up.

23521542168.jpg

If you decide to put components in the back like I did, I would recommend that you do something similiar for access.

Edited by rob10000

Thanks for the advice Rob. I have read everything you've done and thanks to you and Vrflyer, I think I'll be able to come up with a great setup.

I've actually ordered 2 Easystars, one will be for flying training as I still consider myself a beginner, and the other one I will take my time with to build the FPV.

Thanks for the advice Rob. I have read everything you've done and thanks to you and Vrflyer, I think I'll be able to come up with a great setup.

I've actually ordered 2 Easystars, one will be for flying training as I still consider myself a beginner, and the other one I will take my time with to build the FPV.

Me too I was thinking to buy another Easystar, but it very durable, you will be able to crash a lot of time before need to pass to the second one. In fact, kept your money, wait until you really need a second plane ;)

Just a quick update to let you know that I now have my BWAV kit and a AIPTEK recorder. I will have my Futaba 9C Super by the weekend as well.

The challenge I now face is to get the camera to run on 5V. I have a 5.0V fixed voltage switching regulator from dimension engineering and a 2s 800Mah Lipo to run the video tx and camera. The cable that comes with the camera comes with a voltage reg that needs to be removed and my 5V one added. My question is about the KX131 camera. There are three wires coming out of the camera, red/black/yellow, can anyone tell me which wire is which? I think it's red for power, black for earth(neutral) and yellow for video? Is this right?

600mw Brown Bag

FPV001.jpg

AIPTEK DV8900

FPV004.jpg

My question is about the KX131 camera.  There are three wires coming out of the camera, red/black/yellow, can anyone tell me which wire is which?  I think it's red for power, black for earth(neutral) and yellow for video?  Is this right?

Yes it´s right

That looks ok as long as both the TX and the camera are 5v.

You have not shown them but capacitors will help on the regulator, I assume it is a low drop out type.

Terry

That looks ok as long as both the TX and the camera are 5v.

You have not shown them but capacitors will help on the regulator, I assume it is a low drop out type.

Terry

Thanks Terry. The Tx and camera are both from Black Widow AV and will both run at 5V.

This is the specs for the voltage reg. It's from the same company who make the anyvolt mini.

* The SW033/SW050 family is pin-compatible with the common 780X family of linear voltage regulators.

* They have integrated decoupling capacitors, so external capacitors are not generally necessary.

Performance:

* Up to 30V input range

* 83% typical efficiency, up to 87%

* <2% ripple

* 1A output (continuous)

* 1.25A peak output (1 min)

* 1.3V typical dropout voltage at full load

* Can be put in parallel

Edited by OzFlyer

I purchased a VR5.4 Voltage Regulator from Radical RC. The transmitter wants to run at 5.5 volts, and the camera seems to want something around 5 volts. I'll see how well it works!

Another update;

I have soldered Tx/camera together and have done a video test on my sons rc car. I had perfect video to a range of about 150 metres and that was with the receiver inside my house. Very happy with the video quality. I'm STILL waiting for some Easy Stars to arrive in Australia. <_<

Pictures of my breakout board that came with the BWAV kit. I soldered the Vreg onto the board.

FPV006.jpg

FPV008.jpg

Well I just spoke to the store that has my Easy Star order and he told me that the guy (Vrflyer) who did that FPV thing is to blame for the Australia (world) wide shortage of the Easy Star model. :lol: Apparently Multiplex had to manufacture another batch of these airplanes.

So Denis, your famous for more than just your FPV flying. :D

Well I just spoke to the store that has my Easy Star order and he told me that the guy (Vrflyer) who did that FPV thing is to blame for the Australia (world) wide shortage of the Easy Star model. :lol: Apparently Multiplex had to manufacture another batch of these airplanes.

So Denis, your famous for more than just your FPV flying. :D

It´s right, Denis you should ask multiplex for a commission

ozflyer, nice thread. please keep it going. i like seeing the detail photos of the wiring and more importantly, where you're installing things in the fuselage. i'm about two months behind you. my shopping list is almost done and i'm monitoring the head-tracking gyros that may be be available soon. fun stuff.

Here is a video (FPV) of my Easystar using gear from rc-tech.ch

http://img1.exs.cx/rsa02b.wmv

(tips for viewing, in windows launch your windows media player, then do Open, paste in the URL, it will stream the video for you, rather than download and then play).

I crashed it the same day while messing with my goggles, the good thing I had another kit that I assembled today, so back to VR flying tomorrow. This time around I have installed Mega 16/15/4 Motor with 5.5x5.2 prop, and will be using 3S lipo TP batteries + 25A Esc controller... I have heard good things about that combination.

Happy Flying.

-Magnito

Nice video. How long have you been flying FPV for? Is all the jerkiness from your level of experience, or something else? Do you find it difficult to fly FPV? The more videos I see the more I want to try it for myself.

For me the jerkiness comes from a combination of the camera mount (can be the servos having play or how they are fixed to te plane) and maybe a badly balanced prop. That last point is VERY important. It's very tiring to fly with a jerky image IMO. The worst part is that you don't always notice it while flying, and after the flight you wonder why you're angry...

I realised that when after quite a lot of flying time I broke my prop, which forced me to change it. I can assure you it was a completely different thing with the new one :)

The jerkiness is due to crappy gws $20 receiver :). In some park areas the plane gets hit by strong interference. I just replaced it with $180.00 Futaba R319DPS PCM 9 Channel Receiver. I only need 6 channels, hopefully I wont be having trouble anymore.

-Magnito

Oh, yeah. Stay away from those GWS things...

A couple of years ago I found those cheap RX's and was all happy to get one. I installed it on my foamy, and the first flight I did with that setup happened to be a night flight (normal, no camera).

Bad idea... If there's a time you'd want the plane to be predictable that's for this... and it was already jumping around with glitches at ~10-20m :blink:

GWS RX -> in a drawer, might be useful if I need to test a servo at some time...